Why was J.Gatlin doing this adductor exercise, and would it help my riding?

RapDaddyo said:
I'm with you on this one, SE. I have no problem at all with people doing core or strength exercises and I think many of the exercises are "harmless." But, I fall off the train when one proclaims strength or core exercises as essential to cycling power or performance (with the possible exception of NM power).
Not to mention that swimming as a discipline already provides multisport athletes with great opportunities to improve many core related aspects. Anyone here that have tried butterfly kicking in back position with arms extended and hands crossed over the head, or vertical flutter kicking with arms outside the water or all others (the list is endless) will know what I'm talking about.

One can even perform aqua-jog when suffering from running related pain or injury.

Nop. Really I can't think of many reasons to recommend gym work for triathletes, except maybe for the intrinsic motivation to be in a gym chatting with other folks and having a good time.

Strid said:
Can you honestly say that you've never had a single part of your body hurt from cycling? If no, you're lucky, if yes, you're just like the 90% of us who do get that.
Honestly, I have had pain, but it's never progressed to the point of injury. Also, in every case, making simple adjustments to the bike or my riding style have allowed the discomfort to go away on its own. Honestly, I don't think doing that exercise is going to help a bike-fit or position-related problem, anyway.

Strid said:
And thinking of ProTour riders, I think I recall at least a couple who don't finish the Tour de France because they get injuries all sorts of places.
Really? Not because of crashing? I ask because those guys train *tons* during the year, and I'm surprised that some pedalling related injuries would just pop up during the Tour instead of surfacing during the countless hours they spend training.

Strid said:
Can you honestly say that you've never had a single part of your body hurt from cycling?
I can honestly say that no single part of me over the last 10 years of training and racing has been hurt from cycling. Stuffed and worn out, sure. Sore muscles, sure. Hurt from crashing sure. Pursuiter's cough, sure. But not injured from cycling.
Strid said:
If no, you're lucky, if yes, you're just like the 90% of us who do get that.
90% of riders are likely riding bikes ill fitted to them, which might aggravate a pre-existing condition. I have seen really poor cleat position show up in bizarre knee tracking, or other fit related issues which shows up as poor pelvic stability on a bike, or way too much weight supported by the hands. That can't be good I agree but it's a fit issue. Women in particular have to put up with ill fitting bikes (typically designed for men) with poor distribution between hands and sit bones (meaning they are often not on their sit bones - rather on more delicate parts of the anatomy). I was professionally fitted before purchasing my first bike, and over time as I developed as a rider, that position has changed and been modified accordingly. It's one of the best investments you can make (along with a coach and a power meter;) ).

thanks for the replies

thumb.gif