Why we deserve "ecce"

Tom Henderson

Guest
No, I don't really beleive we deserve him, but surely by now you folks have realized that responding
to him only adds fuel to the fire.

Ignore him.

Killfile his multiple addresses.

Set up filters to block his range of posting IP addresses, if your software allows it.

Complain vigorously and daily to the administrator of his isp.

Do not:

Respond to the blather he posts.

Try to "one-up" him.

"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> No, I don't really beleive we deserve him, but surely by now you folks have realized that
> responding to him only adds fuel to the fire.

Oh, but you do. You've given him all this power. You've stopped posting about triathlon. You've
permitted him to change your focus. If you're this easily distracted by ONE harmless troll, god help
you when you face difficulties in a race. I guess you'll simply sit down and cry.

I think he's proved his point. The only thing triathletes are serious about is their self-image.

Roger

[posted and mailed]

"Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> No, I don't really beleive we deserve him, but surely by now you folks have realized that
>> responding to him only adds fuel to the fire.
>
> Oh, but you do. You've given him all this power. You've stopped posting about triathlon. You've
> permitted him to change your focus. If you're this easily distracted by ONE harmless troll, god
> help you when you face difficulties in a race. I guess you'll simply sit down and cry.
>
> I think he's proved his point. The only thing triathletes are serious about is their self-image.
>

> Roger

Roger, that wasn't his point, it was yours. Unless of course you're the same person, which I've
occasionally suspected.

I have met triathletes who fit your description of shallow self absorbed people who were only
concerned with self image. The were in the vast minority. And none have ever sounded as
holier-than-though and self absorbed as you have when you've talked about how tough it's been to be
a "serious" triathlete saddled with their presence.

This is your own private trolling method. Insult the group and wait for a response. Fortunately,
you've also had some serious and useful input at times.

Most of the triathletes I know are in the sport for the personal challenge. Very few have a shot at
1st place, and even the ones that do are very approachable and respectful of the other's efforts.
Maybe it's a British thing...

BTW, I have not stopped posting about triathlon.

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 16:43:49 -0000, "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> No, I don't really beleive we deserve him, but surely by now you folks have realized that
>> responding to him only adds fuel to the fire.
>
>Oh, but you do. You've given him all this power. You've stopped posting about triathlon. You've
>permitted him to change your focus. If you're this easily distracted by ONE harmless troll, god
>help you when you face difficulties in a race. I guess you'll simply sit down and cry.
>
>I think he's proved his point. The only thing triathletes are serious about is their self-image.
>

>Roger

What I find funny is that just prior to this onslaught of trollism was a vigorous attack on
R.R. about how everything "over there" has gone to hell because of the trolls. Seems they've
dealt with the situation far superior to R.S.T.

~Matt

"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Roger, that wasn't his point, it was yours. Unless of course you're the same person, which I've
> occasionally suspected.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have the time to be 'ecce' and me. However, he's turned into a fine
troll. When I knew him on the 220 forum he had your position. He hated trolls and spent most of his
time defending triathlon and triathletes. Funny how time changes folk.

> I have met triathletes who fit your description of shallow self absorbed people who were only
> concerned with self image. The were in the vast minority.

Point of English. A minority can't be 'vast'. It *can* be 'significant'. Perhaps this was what
you meant?

> And none have ever sounded as holier-than-though and self absorbed as you have when you've talked
> about how tough it's been to be a "serious" triathlete saddled with their presence.

I know. I'm an arrogant pain-in-the-ass.

> This is your own private trolling method. Insult the group and wait for a response. Fortunately,
> you've also had some serious and useful input at times.

I'm not complaining. It's been nice to see a few bright souls on rst.

Roger.

MJuric wrote in news:[email protected]:

> What I find funny is that just prior to this onslaught of trollism was a vigorous attack on
> R.R. about how everything "over there" has gone to hell because of the trolls. Seems they've
> dealt with the situation far superior to R.S.T.
>
> ~Matt

Good point. So what are they doing that we should be?

<MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> What I find funny is that just prior to this onslaught of trollism was a vigorous attack on R.R.
> about how everything "over there" has gone to hell because of the trolls. Seems they've dealt with
> the situation far superior to R.S.T.

What's the saying about "pride cometh before a fall"? Ouch!

"Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Roger, that wasn't his point, it was yours. Unless of course you're the same person, which I've
>> occasionally suspected.
>
> Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have the time to be 'ecce' and me. However, he's turned into a
> fine troll. When I knew him on the 220 forum he had your position. He hated trolls and spent most
> of his time defending triathlon and triathletes. Funny how time changes folk.

Even as a troll, he's far from fine. Ever met Brian W?

>> I have met triathletes who fit your description of shallow self absorbed people who were only
>> concerned with self image. The were in the vast minority.
>
> Point of English. A minority can't be 'vast'. It *can* be 'significant'. Perhaps this was what
> you meant?

Does the fact that you found something else to nitpick imply agreement with the point made?

>> And none have ever sounded as holier-than-though and self absorbed as you have when you've talked
>> about how tough it's been to be a "serious" triathlete saddled with their presence.
>
> I know. I'm an arrogant pain-in-the-ass.

I didn't say that. I was trying to point out that you occasionally look a lotlike what
you're mocking.

>> This is your own private trolling method. Insult the group and wait for a response. Fortunately,
>> you've also had some serious and useful input at times.
>
> I'm not complaining. It's been nice to see a few bright souls on rst.

They're all over the place. Of course, what you see is heavily influenced by what you're
looking for.

> Roger.

"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Good point. So what are they doing that we should be?

Apart from a few that get their knichers in a twist, they carry on posting as normal. In true
'robust' triathlete style, rst has scattered to the four winds.

Roger.

"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Even as a troll, he's far from fine. Ever met Brian W?

He says very little by saying a lot. Not very impressive.

> Does the fact that you found something else to nitpick imply agreement with the point made?

Perhaps. Don't push your luck.

>> I didn't say that. I was trying to point out that you occasionally look a
> lotlike what you're mocking.

No, you miss the point. I *am* an arrogant pain-in-the-ass. I'm also a fairly astute observer of
sporting characters. Without wishing to boast, I've participated - with varying levels of success -
in triathlon, karting, motor racing, running, cycling, gliding and parachuting. Never have I come
across such a bunch of head-up-their-bum competitors as in triathlon. I could go on and on, but you
don't want to hear it, do you?

> They're all over the place. Of course, what you see is heavily influenced by what you're
> looking for.

I've no preconceptions when I take up a sport. I try to take people as I find them in all aspects of
life. My attitude towards triathletes and triathlon is the result of those I've met, talked to and
competed against. Maybe I've just been unlucky? Or maybe...

Roger.

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 19:45:16 -0000, "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Good point. So what are they doing that we should be?
>
>Apart from a few that get their knichers in a twist,

Many of those that did get a kink left or don't post as seen here. Some that visited both
R.R. and R.S.T. Left R.R. and came here. I bet most are now gone form here.

>they carry on posting as normal.

For the most part true.

>In true 'robust' triathlete style, rst has scattered to the four winds.
>
>Roger.

I think there are some truly down to earth people over at R.R. that deal with newsgroups how
they deal with normal life. In 90% of the cases you have little or no control of the
completely out of control child/adult in the aisle next to you at the grocery store. However
most of chose to ignore them. We usually say nothing we usually don't respond. We do
continue shopping however. We generally avoid the situation unless it seems to be harmfull
to ourselves or our family. Personally I think most on a newsgroup somehow think that this
is "their" newsgroup as if it's their house not the grocery store. If you don't like the
store shop someplace else don't incessantly complain about the prices, quality or the guy in
aisle five.

~Matt