Why wet oil for cross-country?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stainlesssteelr, May 9, 2003.

  1. From previous posts I get the impression that "wet" oil is recommended for cross-country, as
    opposed to "dry" or wax. I can't quite see the logic of this, as cross-country tends to be very
    dusty and is picked up by the oil. I don't cycle through puddles or the like as most of my ride is
    on well kept paths.

    What am I missing?

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my
    mind, you know, uh, limber." -- The Dude, The Big Lebowski

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From previous posts I get the impression that "wet" oil is recommended for cross-country, as
    > opposed to "dry" or wax. I can't quite see the logic of this, as cross-country tends to be very
    > dusty and is picked up by the oil.
    > don't cycle through puddles or the like as most of my ride is on well kept paths.

    I think wet oil is reccommended for wet xc and dry for dry (no I'm not taking the pee). I've just
    started using Finish Line Dry for xc on dry trails and have noticed there is almost zero cack on the
    chain, sprockets etc post ride. I can't vouch for it's lubrication properties so have to take it on
    trust it's doing the job. The friend who recommended it stated, however, that it's useless for wet
    conditions as it washes off quickly, for this I'll either try Finish Line Wet or revert to engine
    oil or try chain saw oil but only after I give Boeshield a go.

    Pete

  3. Peter B wrote:
    >> From previous posts I get the impression that "wet" oil is recommended for cross-country, as
    >> opposed to "dry" or wax. I can't quite see the logic of this, as cross-country tends to be very
    >> dusty and is picked up by the oil. I don't cycle through puddles or the like as most of my ride
    >> is on well kept paths.
    >
    > I think wet oil is reccommended for wet xc and dry for dry (no I'm not taking the pee). I've just
    > started using Finish Line Dry for xc on dry trails and have noticed there is almost zero cack on
    > the chain, sprockets etc post ride. I can't vouch for it's lubrication properties so have to take
    > it on trust it's doing the job. The friend who recommended it stated, however, that it's useless
    > for wet conditions as it washes off quickly, for this I'll either try Finish Line Wet or revert to
    > engine oil or try chain saw oil but only after I give Boeshield a go.

    I might try the "dry" next time. My Finish Line chain cleaner did a fantastic job, but it's all
    oiled up now with Finish Line "wet". Equally I'll see how cacked up this gets.

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "Okay, we got ten, maybe twelve bad guys, and one big demon in desperate need of a
    stairmaster." -- Buffy