Why would someone pay for heavy carbon wheels?

Well, they are not Zipps but they look like pretty good quality deep aero tubuler rims to me. I would ride them. Did the aluminum rims have the same aero cross section as the C6's? If they weren't as deep or if they were clincher rims, then the weight difference is understandable.

No they had a much smaller section. What's the point of having them so deep? Is it for vibrations?

Less aerodynamic drag with the deeper wheelset. Translates to more speed - especially more effective the faster you go.

Few people have the power to get an aerodynamic advantage from wheels.

I ride Mavic OpenCD rims. Not aero, Not heavy. But I can keep up.

Yeah, there are only a few people that can hit 20mph and above - below that, you're not getting any aero advantage and buying such wheels would be a waste of money...good point.

"only a few" ??? Statistically speaking, I suppose that's true. But I'll bet 20-30% of the members of every cycle club in any major American or European city can hit (to say nothing of exceed, and sustain) 20mph so regularly it's not even viewed as an accomplishment. It's called "Just Riding Along"

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Yeah, there are only a few people that can hit 20mph and above

Originally Posted by Bob Ross .

"only a few" ??? Statistically speaking, I suppose that's true. But I'll bet 20-30% of the members of every cycle club in any major American or European city can hit (to say nothing of exceed, and sustain) 20mph so regularly it's not even viewed as an accomplishment. It's called "Just Riding Along"
Please tell me you knew I was being sarcastic with my remark to which you replied. Please.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Few people have the power to get an aerodynamic advantage from wheels.

I ride Mavic OpenCD rims. Not aero, Not heavy. But I can keep up.
I think Chester Kyle buried that false belief back in 1985 - if you can ride in double digit speeds then you'll see a benefit.

i had a nice little 25 mile ride today and I got my average speed up to 15mph with a big climb too. 3Three weeks ago my average was around 12-13 on flat. Would I benefit from aero rims or should I wait? Does it look stupid having a set of carbon aero rims on an aluminum/carbon frame?

Originally Posted by grandamn .

i had a nice little 25 mile ride today and I got my average speed up to 15mph with a big climb too. 3Three weeks ago my average was around 12-13 on flat. Would I benefit from aero rims or should I wait? Does it look stupid having a set of carbon aero rims on an aluminum/carbon frame?
Benefit? Sure - a relatively small amount of extra speed. Necessary for non-racers? IMO, absolutely not. Do you want/need some 'poseur' points, and/or have the discretionary income to support the purchase? If so, then by all means - get them!

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I think Chester Kyle buried that false belief back in 1985 - if you can ride in double digit speeds then you'll see a benefit.
Mr. Kyle does very fine work. But I think you are taking his statements and abusing them. At 15mph total power is 100w, air drag requires about 50w. Wheel drag requires about 8% of the 50w. So we are talking about 2w difference between various wheel choices. 2w is pretty hard to distinguish.

Just because I love to be controversial, thought I'd add this photo to this thread. Yeah, those are 88mm clinchers. Sold the 58mm set I had as I felt they were too flexy. I'll use these on non-technical, flat (of course) crits. Perhaps I have enough power to attain speeds where I'll be able to see an aero benefit with them. Perhaps. LOL!.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif