Why would you draft a stranger?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bedocoman, Aug 29, 2017.

1. bedocoman

bedocoman New Member

I have never been in a bike race in my life. Today I was on my Sunday ride, just riding along between 16 and 17 mph when a fully kitted out racer wannabe on a $12k cannondale evo jumped on my rear wheel. When I asked him what he was doing, he didn't respond, when I told him to get the $%#@ off my wheel he made contact and dumped me on the shoulder. As I sat there with my separated shoulder, he tried to blame me for both of us going down.

My question is, why would any apparently accomplished rider jump on the wheel of a stranger who is just riding along? I can't figure out why anyone would do this....

Tags:

2. Bob Ross

Bob Ross Member

It's the remora paradigm: At best it is commensalism, in your case it turned into parasitism. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, bro.

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Never do it without first asking. Even joining the ride of someone you don't know should be done with the courtesy of an ask.

I hope you heal up fast, OP.

kennyM likes this.
  4. kennyM

kennyM New Member

Possibly the parasitic rider was just a total jerk. I think my first reaction would be just drop off some speed (you know...but fast enough that you don't fall over) or just stop and dismount. Perhaps he would have gone on his way since he did not seem inclined to want to chat you up and explain himself.

5. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

I don't!

The only time I drafted a stranger was when I did a 45 mile ride with a couple of buddies. One guy hopped on and was pretty strong. We rotated at the front evenly to keep our average up. But he hopped on so we let him help.

Other than that, I haven't drafted a stranger in 15 years.

6. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Member

What's the problem if someone sits on your wheel?

7. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

That's why these ass hats should just mind their own business and let other cyclists do their rides without interfering.