Why would you draft a stranger?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bedocoman, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

I've done palm Springs 3 times. With 10,000 riders it's a free for all. I did it myself, my style but I had 20 riders on my wheel at times. Little advice. Take enough water to skip the first rest stop unless you enjoy rest stops with a million riders ga ga!

2. doubravsky

doubravsky New Member

Will do... thanks for the advice!

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  3. Morgan Fracisc

Morgan Fracisc New Member

Obviously some person has attitude problems, the thing is in life there is always a competition almost everyday. People are competitive but we have to use it in a good way. Of course drafting is fun, but its not fun when someone will try to ruin your day. :)

Mr. Beanz likes this.
  4. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

My problem was not with him trying to board your bike, but the way he pulled you down as well. If you are a troublesome person, this is the part he would have gotten what he bargained for, but the truth is that you are not that type of person and the need to let go is understandable. Just be careful of those sets of people.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

So many groups of cyclists pass by our gate during weekends on the way to the nearby mountains to test their climbing skills. All I would do is to wait by the village gate and ride along with a group of my choice. I have been riding with strangers and the most attention I got was being aided on the climb. Maybe that guy who did that mischief to you was not in his senses.

6. LONGPATH

LONGPATH New Member

I have never had anyone jump on my wheel. I sure as heck have never jumped on anyones wheel. I much prefer being off by myself. I don't understand why anyone would jump on someones wheel without asking. It seems rather rude. Taking someone someone down makes is more than rude, it makes it dangerous.

7. rob nol

rob nol New Member

drafting is for weak riders on their clown road bikes....he cant get any speed or maintain any intensity with out someone in front of him blocking the wind....so dishonest riding...I ride a tri bike for time trials and drafting is not allowed

8. DenisP

DenisP Member

If someone drafted me with such blatant disregard for basic courtesy, I'd probably brake check them even if it meant busting my own butt. Drafting a stranger without their permission is asking for trouble. Doing that to someone with a shorter fuse might actually catch you a beating.

When I'm riding, I want my space. If I'm on the road and I find that someone is riding relatively at my pace, but is getting too close for comfort, I'll slow down and essentially signal them to overtake. I'll then put some distance between me and them, and pick my pace back up.

I'll share the road, but I won't share my personal space.

9. treecko142

treecko142 Active Member

That's a very unfortunate situation, sadly there are just some people who are too focused on themselves that they don't consider what they do to other people on the road.

10. rob nol

rob nol New Member

its rude to draft at all...stop using my hard work so they can do what their slow weak asses cant do on their own....that's why tt riding is the most honest form of racing ..u cant use someone elses hard work to help ur lack of ability

11. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I disagree about the racing comment. I'm no power house, but am a pretty fast solo rider for a recreational cyclist. Sometimes I actually feel like I'm going slower in a group. Drafting is a skill and one that i'm not very good at. matching another riders speed, not over or under braking, they require skill. A TT may incapsulate raw power of a rider, but its much more than that. Racing in a pack requires skill and smarts.

12. rob nol

rob nol New Member

drafting is a skill...but it is also a way of making riding easier less work for the guy behind...so the guy that drafts a stranger is looking for an easy way to get some more speed and miles....

13. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

There really is no reason to draft another rider, especially one you don't know. But sometimes it's hard not to. I was riding with a group four days ago and I was trying to stay off the back because I had no idea what the route was. I don't have any idea how they were doing it but the two riders in front of me would slow up suddenly almost as if they had put their brakes on but they hadn't. I ended up over-running them from 5-10 bike lengths back time after time.

Recreational riders have no business drafting because they don't know how. Of course all the young guys are geniuses and think that without experience they can do it.

14. cyclintom

Racers can successfully draft in large packs because they are near max speed and so all more or less in the same gear. This prevents them from over-running the wheel in front of them and touching. Of course that's a very generalized statement.

15. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I've already stated in this post that some riders need there space. Drafting a stranger and doing so in a race are different circumstances.

16. rob nol

rob nol New Member

my premise is still valid ...drafting is for weak riders to help them do what they cant do by themselves

17. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

It’s more a case of them being able to relax and look up the road rather than stare at the wheel in front. After a while you just get used to riding in a bunch at speed and looking at the riders rather than the bikes.

18. cyclintom

I do not like to really draft and most riders do not know the proper technique anyway. But I also do not like to come up on a rider that is going 1 mph slower than me and ride past him as if I'm fast and he isn't. So I will sit on.