Why would you drive a Pickup Truck?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
If I were to drive a pickup truck, I'd mostly use it for towing an RV or boat. That's it! No other reason for me to have one. And if I were to tow a boat, I'd rather use a powerful SUV! I can understand that construction workers need one to load stuff into the flatbed. And the expensive high towing trucks are used to tow stuff like trailers.

But if you don't have any use of a pickup truck for that, and if you have one, - why do you need it? They don't have the passenger capacity of a car or minivan, and I view them as terrible daily drivers to work! So explain why you have one!

And if you're a woman - why would a woman drive one?

I have an 89 F150, its my daily driver but its my work vehicle. Even if i didn't need it for work, i think i would still drive one but i don't know why. Theres something about them that i like but don't know why.
I'm a fan of the older models, not so much the newer models. I know the seating is a bit of a pain sometimes but when i have a family, i'll go dual cab. :)

Dual cab for me, with a small tray body. Work vehicle and a great way to transport bikes...can't get squashed from behind as they can on a towbar and no insect splats and wind resistance as on a roof.
Halcyon

JTE83 said:
If I were to drive a pickup truck, I'd mostly use it for towing an RV or boat. That's it! No other reason for me to have one. And if I were to tow a boat, I'd rather use a powerful SUV! I can understand that construction workers need one to load stuff into the flatbed. And the expensive high towing trucks are used to tow stuff like trailers.

But if you don't have any use of a pickup truck for that, and if you have one, - why do you need it? They don't have the passenger capacity of a car or minivan, and I view them as terrible daily drivers to work! So explain why you have one!

Why not??? Not everyone has a family . I can think of a good reason, you wont get slugged as a dedicated driver when drinking with your mates as you've only got one spare seat.

JTE83 said:
If I were to drive a pickup truck, I'd mostly use it for towing an RV or boat. That's it! No other reason for me to have one. And if I were to tow a boat, I'd rather use a powerful SUV! I can understand that construction workers need one to load stuff into the flatbed. And the expensive high towing trucks are used to tow stuff like trailers.?
Maybe because I live in a rural area and need a high ground clearance, maybe I haul lots of bikes and other gear, maybe I want one to more easily roll over you when your out on your wal-mart bike pretending to be a real cyclist. Why do you care?

JTE83 said:
But if you don't have any use of a pickup truck for that, and if you have one, - why do you need it? They don't have the passenger capacity of a car or minivan, and I view them as terrible daily drivers to work! So explain why you have one!?
Why do you need anything more than the bare minimum to get you from point a to point b? Hell, If you live in the city why even have a car? Just rely on public transportation!

What justifcation is there for sports cars or luxury sedans? Why do we even need cars? Everyone should be riding their bike every where!

While were at it, why do we need RV's? Just unroll a sleeping bag and sleep on the ground. Why do you need a boat? Why not swim? Or at least use a canoe.

JTE83 said:
What does gender have to do with it?

Why don't you have anything better to do than to ask stupid questions?

I have a 2002 F-150 with the Super Cab and it is my daily driver. There is enough room and seat belts for 5 people and room enough in the bed for 4 bikes. I don't have a family and when I transport bikes, it is usually just mine and my girlfreind's bikes. But I like having the room in case her kids want to go with us. I have also used the truck to transport home furnishings for myself and my freinds. I also use it to hual camping gear and large tools like air compressors and ladders. It has a small V-6 so it gets the same mileage as most full size cars and better than most luxury cars. I also like the ground clearance when I drive out into the woods to go hunting, fishing, hiking or mountain biking.

You would rather have an SUV than a pickup truck? At least with trucks there is a much greater chance that the driver may need and use it for its intended purpose.

The general rule for SUVs is the bigger the SUV, the smaller the penis. The rule goes double for anyone dumb enough to own a Hummer. SUVs are the automobile equivalent of a comb-over. They are a modern day station wagon, but the owners are too thick to realize that they are not fooling anyone but themselves.

Bro Deal said:
You would rather have an SUV than a pickup truck? At least with trucks there is a much greater chance that the driver may need and use it for its intended purpose.

The general rule for SUVs is the bigger the SUV, the smaller the penis. The rule goes double for anyone dumb enough to own a Hummer. SUVs are the automobile equivalent of a comb-over. They are a modern day station wagon, but the owners are too thick to realize that they are not fooling anyone but themselves.

I like the way you talk, Sailor.

I had a pick-up once, a late 90-ish F-150. I bought it so that I could haul my motorcycle from race to race. The father-in-law got sick of me using his, and I was sick of his dualie pickup and it's 8 mpg. Got rid of the pick-up as soon as I stopped racing.

SUV? No thank you. A Subaru Outback is as SUV as I get. Even the trusted Subaru is about to say,"Bye bye." We need something more fuel efficient, so we're angling for maybe a used Prius or summat, something with a smaller form factor. I don't care how hard it is to get a bike in there. Hell, I packed and moved us across the country. Getting a bicycle in a small car will be a cinch in comparison.

You couldn't pry my truck from my cold dead hands......but then again, I'm a contractor and need it. I absolutely love my Titan though. Huge crew cab with plenty of room for the kids, larger second row than a Suburban. Tows bobcats, materials, ATVs, anything I need for work...or play. On overnight hockey trips, we take it so we don't share airspace with some of the most foul smelling sports equipment in existance. Its smooth, quiet, major power (0-60 6.8sec), eats Hemis for lunch, but gets 17mpg and a pain wedging it into parking spots. Thats why we also have the Odyssey, 27mpg, and an Accord 32mpg, but as gas continues to rise, the motorcycle is getting used more and more.

Here in Tucson they are the most "bang for your bucks" from car dealers, and have good resale value if sold in a few years in good condition. Youngsters love them as first vehicles. I wouldn't own one myself, uncomfortable, and poor mileage, compared to a compact sedan.

I haul a lot of firewood to, and yard/tree debris from, my property, wtih my 05 F150. If I could afford it, I would leave it sit until it was needed and drive a conventional sporty type vehicle. I hate parking it in the small spots at the local shops. I usually just go to the far end of the lot where it's usually pretty vacant. And another thing, I get tailgaited a lot because I refuse to go way over the speed limit on curvy 2 lane roads, even though I have superior driving skills. I'm learning to be a responsible patient driver, instead of an aggressive impatient one. I have zero tolerance for tailgaitors because they're killers. When cycling around here, you have to be ready when one car passes you, for the ****-rider following too close behind, which is usually a woman driving a gargantuan SUV loaded down with groceries and a couple of rug-rats.
Never know when yer gonna need a big V-8 with all wheel drive to get back from the grocery store.

p38lightning said:
Here in Tucson they are the most "bang for your bucks" from car dealers, and have good resale value if sold in a few years in good condition. Youngsters love them as first vehicles. I wouldn't own one myself, uncomfortable, and poor mileage, compared to a compact sedan.
My Titan is more comfortable than my wifes 05 Odyssey EXL, my parents 03 Pilot EXL, my 95 Accord, just about every vehicle I've owned. My Silverado was a miserable POS, but the Titan is VERY smooth and comfortable. Drives like a car, except at the gas pump and parking lot. Handles very well, it will rip backroads like a car. Kids around here go after Civics, Lancers, mostly ricers....pickups cost too much to drive and takes too much beer money.

p38lightning said:
Here in Tucson they are the most "bang for your bucks" from car dealers, and have good resale value if sold in a few years in good condition.
Good resale value? I thought all the stock Detroit was dumping on the market along with the deep discounts to move the metal had clobbered the resale value of trucks.

Bro Deal said:
Good resale value? I thought all the stock Detroit was dumping on the market along with the deep discounts to move the metal had clobbered the resale value of trucks.
Of domestics yes....but that includes most all domestic vehicles.

stlblues said:
Of domestics yes....but that includes most all domestic vehicles.
Uh-oh. If truck buyers, the most loyal part of what is left of Detroit's market, is figuring this out then the domestic makers are truly screwed.

Bro Deal said:
Uh-oh. If truck buyers, the most loyal part of what is left of Detroit's market, is figuring this out then the domestic makers are truly screwed.
Between gas prices and the introduction of the Titan and Tundra, they are screwed. I know 14 people that have switched, 12 to Titan and 2 to Tundra and all of us, 10 of them are work trucks, will not go back. A ride in my truck has taken 6 Chevy owners and 3 Ford owners away from Detroit. The Dodge owners I know arent bright enough. I'd have more converts, but they are giving the Fords away around here and used lots are packed with cheap, cheap Dodges.

I purchased a Titan in 2004 for towing a ski boat, but I sold the boat soon after and now I kind of would like to get a Civic. At least my commute to work is very short.

Oddly enough I spend more on gas money driving to a rural area to cycle because there are no safe places to put in 60+ miles in my area.:eek:

The one thing I can say about Nissan compared to the domestics that I formerly owned is that Nissan has really taken care of every issue on my truck. I have yet to pay for any major service. Like a brake judder problem in the first year model. Nissan completely replaced the whole brake system with new upgraded heavier duty parts. Whereas, a friend of mine bought a Dodge Ram and it was a lemon from the start. He had to hire an attorney to help him process the lemon law and the dealership and company fought against him for a few months. They finally fixed the truck, but he was pretty bitter against Dodge after that experience.

Felt_Rider said:
I purchased a Titan in 2004 for towing a ski boat, but I sold the boat soon after and now I kind of would like to get a Civic. At least my commute to work is very short.

Oddly enough I spend more on gas money driving to a rural area to cycle because there are no safe places to put in 60+ miles in my area.:eek:

The one thing I can say about Nissan compared to the domestics that I formerly owned is that Nissan has really taken care of every issue on my truck. I have yet to pay for any major service. Like a brake judder problem in the first year model. Nissan completely replaced the whole brake system with new upgraded heavier duty parts. Whereas, a friend of mine bought a Dodge Ram and it was a lemon from the start. He had to hire an attorney to help him process the lemon law and the dealership and company fought against him for a few months. They finally fixed the truck, but he was pretty bitter against Dodge after that experience.
I too have an 04 and NIssan has taken care of everything quickly, all those with 05s and up that I know of have had no issues, except Gregs 06, but it was involved in a MAJOR accident. The person who was driving it owns a F150 swears he would be dead.......and the Titan wasn't totalled. At the end of a very rough ride with a trailer slamming into both sides of the truck, then plowing into a guardrail at 45, it was still driveable and no frame damage........sheetmetal on the other hand. We have never had any problem with any warranty work, or even problems being fixed out of good faith with Nissan or Honda, the GMs I've had has been like pullling teeth even will within warranty mileage, and then it wasn't always done right the first time.

I am a women and drive a '80 Chevy work truck. I drive a pickup truck because I used to own a construction company, it was free, I can fit seven bikes in the back, it is reliable and it gets great decent gas mileage (21/26, 250 inline-6).

dw_moto said:
great decent gas mileage (21/26, 250 inline-6).
Come to the sunny U.K. where gas currently costs about £3.78/U.S gallon or $7.56/U.S gallon

Unless you've literally money to burn you'll want something more efficient. I'd class decent starting at 40mpg.

Then again I'm a scrooge ;)