Why?

aa9t8

Oct 22, 2004
so what is with bike manufacturers? i know that a 10 speed cassette sounds sexy and all that but why are they not giving us full range? why are they 12-25? why not 11-34? i want full range not a lot of mid range. is there a plot to take away hill climbing gears? and since they are usually a compact crank we are already loosing teeth on the front so then we get burned on the back with a 12?

They sell what people want to buy.

Most popular cassette sizes would be 11-23 and 12-25. Very few people I know of have 26 or 27 tooth cassettes.
Clearly road cyclists prefer having close ratios to control thier cadence and most don't need stump pulling ratios.
If you want stump pulling gears get a triple, but then you can still have close ratios and a 53 12 right through to a 30-25. Or run a compact with 12-27, you won't give up too much at the top end, but have a very low 34-27.
I'd be interersted in the stats but I'd say normal size cranks would massively out sell compact and triple cranksets.

I'd hate to see the roads you ride on if you feel you really need an 11-34!

Phill P said:
They sell what people want to buy.

Most popular cassette sizes would be 11-23 and 12-25. Very few people I know of have 26 or 27 tooth cassettes.
Clearly road cyclists prefer having close ratios to control thier cadence and most don't need stump pulling ratios.
If you want stump pulling gears get a triple, but then you can still have close ratios and a 53 12 right through to a 30-25. Or run a compact with 12-27, you won't give up too much at the top end, but have a very low 34-27.
I'd be interersted in the stats but I'd say normal size cranks would massively out sell compact and triple cranksets.

I'd hate to see the roads you ride on if you feel you really need an 11-34!

I see a lot of 27s on my rides. When you're doing climbs that last over an hour you sometimes need to do some uphill recovery.

But the OP is right - the option should be there and let the people decide. Maybe 5% of the people will want a 30t and a few would want a 34 for the Death Ride once a year or so - but right now you just can't get them in 10-speed and you can't get 10-speed MTB derailleurs and you can't run a 9-speed MTB derailleur with 10-speed road levers. Choice is good, they should give it to us. This is one of the most frequent issues that comes up here, it's obviously something people want.

I always figured the weight difference and terrain also dictated the cogs. A mountain bike needs the lower gears and torque because of the tougher terrain/obstacles as were a road bike (ideally) would have smoother terrain and weighs less (though some not bu much!)

hummmmmmmm????

i think we get what we get cause lots of people just do not know. and we have bigger better fasteritis. i put an 11-34 on one of my mtn bikes. it works really well. have never taken that one off road, in fact it is roaditised. my road bike is not an 11-34 but it has more range than the 12-25. around here we have some real lung pukers for hills. and sometimes a guy just got to go up'em. to see how fast ya go going down them. i was not aware that cadence was the thing. i prefer fewer cogs with more range.

aa9t8 said:
hummmmmmmm????

i think we get what we get cause lots of people just do not know. and we have bigger better fasteritis. i put an 11-34 on one of my mtn bikes. it works really well. have never taken that one off road, in fact it is roaditised. my road bike is not an 11-34 but it has more range than the 12-25. around here we have some real lung pukers for hills. and sometimes a guy just got to go up'em. to see how fast ya go going down them. i was not aware that cadence was the thing. i prefer fewer cogs with more range.

If there was a big demand for 11-34 cassettes, they'd make 'em. As it is, the gearing is out there: just get a triple.