Why...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by G.T., Jan 31, 2004.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    ...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete bullshit lies. And as in
    today's case the lying is usually associated with excuses, excuses, excuses. We did T1 today. Nice,
    mellow section of the Backbone Trail. When we cross Latigo there are two 10 year olds and one of the
    kids' fathers being dropped off by their mother for a point to point ride. I'm thinking, cool, this
    guy is showing his kid and his kid's friend the good stuff. So we let them get ahead of us while we
    waited for our completely bronchitis stricken friend Abe (Abe was so bad off that he ended up
    turning around to head back to Kanan).

    After making sure Abe was strong enough to get back to the truck Chris and I moved on. We caught up
    to the trio on the steepest part of the climb, my legs failed me before I reached the trio but Chris
    was able to clean everything. Seeing this the father attempted to get rolling but failed miserably
    all the while whining to his kid that his pedals suck and that he can't get into them. I got to a
    flat spot and got started again and rode up to where Chris was talking to the trio. As I approached
    the father was telling Chris, "I need pointier tires, these suck". And what do I see when I roll up
    to them? WTB Velociraptors. Brand new. Mine are worn to the cords, they are slicks now, there is no
    tread. I really didn't want to bag on the guy in front of the kids so we complimented the kids and
    let them lead.

    So we get up to the next intersection and the father asks us for route advice. We explain that one
    route is singletrack, a little longer, and with less climbing, and the other route is road, steeper,
    and more elevation change. Then we ask him where they're headed and he explains that they are going
    to Malibu Lake where he is going to leave the kids and ride back to the truck. Then he asks again
    which route would be good and we mention longer options, and he comes back and says that's actually
    the way they're going. So we ask him where they started and he says from Kanan, the typical starting
    point, even though we had just seen them dropped off at Latigo. And clearly he wasn't going to be
    riding back to the truck because their truck was gone. Obviously heading over to Malibu Creek State
    Park somewhere to pick them up. And, what, he's going to leave two kids in the middle of a state
    park without supervision for a minimum of 2 hours while he rides back to the truck? I'm not a parent
    but isn't that a little strange?

    What doesn't make sense is the ride was quite substantial without lying about it.

    Greg

  2. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 01:51:51 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete bullshit lies.

    [snip lies]

    People are liars? Say it ain't so.

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > ...Why do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete bullshit lies. And as in
    > today's case the lying is usually associated with excuses, excuses, excuses.
    <snip>

    Look at the bright side, you don't have to employ them. I figure that 9 times out of 10 you get
    people that say they are not only fully competant but they are so completely capable that they
    should be running your business for you. Usually it turns out that they shouldn't be allowed to tie
    their own shoelaces.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  5. Jpt

    Jpt Guest

    G.T. said:

    >...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete bullshit lies.

    I've always been more impressed by folks who try hard yet still struggle to make the grade than
    those who brag about their feats (earned or otherwise).

    Hmmm, guess that's because I am usually the one struggling... I never understood why everyone needs
    to be better than everyone else.

  6. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 01:51:51 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> ...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete bullshit lies.
    >
    > [snip lies]
    >
    > People are liars? Say it ain't so.

    It isn't really....really....and that's the truth.

    Tom (at least that's what I tell everyone)

  7. Marty

    Marty Guest

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ...do people lie?<snip sad tale> What doesn't make sense is the ride was quite substantial without
    > lying about it.

    Sounds like one of those "twats" Pete Jones was referring to.

    JD

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > ...do people lie?

    [...]

    Your story reminds me of a running sketch in The Fast Show, called 'Competitive Dad' with a guy who
    took huge pride in beating his kids at sport.

    Tragically, some people constantly feel the need to prove themselves. Even to kids. I wouldn't be
    surprised if your man was doing that route to show his kids how good he was.