Why...

G.T.

Guest
...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete ******** lies. And as in
today's case the lying is usually associated with excuses, excuses, excuses. We did T1 today. Nice,
mellow section of the Backbone Trail. When we cross Latigo there are two 10 year olds and one of the
kids' fathers being dropped off by their mother for a point to point ride. I'm thinking, cool, this
guy is showing his kid and his kid's friend the good stuff. So we let them get ahead of us while we
waited for our completely bronchitis stricken friend Abe (Abe was so bad off that he ended up
turning around to head back to Kanan).

After making sure Abe was strong enough to get back to the truck Chris and I moved on. We caught up
to the trio on the steepest part of the climb, my legs failed me before I reached the trio but Chris
was able to clean everything. Seeing this the father attempted to get rolling but failed miserably
all the while whining to his kid that his pedals suck and that he can't get into them. I got to a
flat spot and got started again and rode up to where Chris was talking to the trio. As I approached
the father was telling Chris, "I need pointier tires, these suck". And what do I see when I roll up
to them? WTB Velociraptors. Brand new. Mine are worn to the cords, they are slicks now, there is no
tread. I really didn't want to bag on the guy in front of the kids so we complimented the kids and
let them lead.

So we get up to the next intersection and the father asks us for route advice. We explain that one
route is singletrack, a little longer, and with less climbing, and the other route is road, steeper,
and more elevation change. Then we ask him where they're headed and he explains that they are going
to Malibu Lake where he is going to leave the kids and ride back to the truck. Then he asks again
which route would be good and we mention longer options, and he comes back and says that's actually
the way they're going. So we ask him where they started and he says from Kanan, the typical starting
point, even though we had just seen them dropped off at Latigo. And clearly he wasn't going to be
riding back to the truck because their truck was gone. Obviously heading over to Malibu Creek State
Park somewhere to pick them up. And, what, he's going to leave two kids in the middle of a state
park without supervision for a minimum of 2 hours while he rides back to the truck? I'm not a parent
but isn't that a little strange?

What doesn't make sense is the ride was quite substantial without lying about it.

Greg

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 01:51:51 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete ******** lies.

[snip lies]

People are liars? Say it ain't so.

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

G.T. wrote:
> ...Why do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete ******** lies. And as in
> today's case the lying is usually associated with excuses, excuses, excuses.
<snip>

Look at the bright side, you don't have to employ them. I figure that 9 times out of 10 you get
people that say they are not only fully competant but they are so completely capable that they
should be running your business for you. Usually it turns out that they shouldn't be allowed to tie
their own shoelaces.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

G.T. said:

>...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete ******** lies.

I've always been more impressed by folks who try hard yet still struggle to make the grade than
those who brag about their feats (earned or otherwise).

Hmmm, guess that's because I am usually the one struggling... I never understood why everyone needs
to be better than everyone else.

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 01:51:51 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> ...do people lie? And I don't mean exaggeration but blatant, complete ******** lies.
>
> [snip lies]
>
> People are liars? Say it ain't so.

It isn't really....really....and that's the truth.

Tom (at least that's what I tell everyone)

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ...do people lie?<snip sad tale> What doesn't make sense is the ride was quite substantial without
> lying about it.

Sounds like one of those "twats" Pete Jones was referring to.

JD

G.T. wrote:
> ...do people lie?

[...]

Your story reminds me of a running sketch in The Fast Show, called 'Competitive Dad' with a guy who
took huge pride in beating his kids at sport.

Tragically, some people constantly feel the need to prove themselves. Even to kids. I wouldn't be
surprised if your man was doing that route to show his kids how good he was.