whyte bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jed Thompson, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Jed Thompson

    Jed Thompson Guest

    Anyone ridden a Whyte bike? www.whytebikesusa.com How was it?

    --
    Jed Thompson [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    No but their a hot item in the UK.

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. >Anyone ridden a Whyte bike?

    Not as fast as the Redd bike. ;-)

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jed Thompson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone ridden a Whyte bike? www.whytebikesusa.com How was it?

    John, my LBS owner and fellow MTB club member has one. He's ridden it on quite a few of the club
    rides, and really likes it. They look strange.

    From talking to people that have ridden these, I get the impression you either love them or hate
    them. The linkage fork has an allegedly strange feel to it. John attempted to explain it as
    'pulling' you over raised objects, he said it seems to help him over things a little in some
    situations, that the fork moves backwards slightly as it is compressed.

    The thing looked well enough put together, but I have not got a clue as to the likely longevity of
    the fork bushings, but they do look to be rather a weak point, being up at the front, and rather
    exposed (looking) to the elements.

    So, no definitive information for you, but some maybe useful impressions and conjecture.

    Shaun aRe

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Jed Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone ridden a Whyte bike? www.whytebikesusa.com How was it?

    I haven't, but I think he's the same guy who designed an earlier iteration of Marin's full-suss
    frame. The selling point of the Whyte looks to be the 'integrated' fork, which is probably either a
    big advantage or an achilles heel. /s

  6. "Jed Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone ridden a Whyte bike? www.whytebikesusa.com How was it?

    Had one on loan for the day a couple of years ago

    The suspension action of the front fork is second to none over obstacles and the front doesn't dive
    under load (descending or braking) which is great but the J path the wheel describes is both it's
    strength and it's ultimate flaw (for me). The trouble is that as the suspension moves the wheel
    length changes. It's no problem until you reach a tight singletrack section and really attack it, as
    you steer from corner to corner the wheel length changes which messes up the steering which you
    correct but as you do that the wheellength goes back and you have to correct again, real fight to
    keep it on the line you want. Some people say you get used to it but I'm not sure I ever could.

    Rear is a standard Marin type suspension action - the wheel quick realease is just plain wierd. The
    annodised finish on the early ones was thinner than a very thin thing but may be better now.

    Great bike for long XC riding with open tracks, superb on open bumpy DH, add a lot of tight
    singletrack and there are better bikes out there IMO.

    Looks horrible IMO but then again I ride an Orange Sub 5 so what do I know
    :)

    YMMV.

    Russ