Wicklow 200 : Ring of Kerry : 2006

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Is anyone here doing the Wicklow 200 in two weeks time?

Or doing the Ring of Kerry on July 1st?

limerickman said:
Is anyone here doing the Wicklow 200 in two weeks time?

Or doing the Ring of Kerry on July 1st?

Hi,
Didn't see your post til just now. I did the Wicklow200 yesterday and was hoping to do the Ring of Kerry, except that it turns out I'll be away that weekend. My girlfriend works down in South Kerry a lot of the time, so I go down there quite a bit and was planning on doing the Ring on my own some time.
The Wicklow200 was fantastic. Really well organised (although I think a lot of the complaints from previous years were over the top), beautiful weather and a really well thought out route. The opening 90k to Donard were savage. The wind up Sally Gap and over Military Road route was just nasty. Donard to Slieve Maan was a more enjoyable, although longer, route than going through Ballinbarney Gap. From Rathdrum to the finish was really enjoyable. So much better to be able to enjoy the scenery and sunshine on the way home after a tough day than having to face into Sally and Luggala, as we did last year.
Did you do the Wicklow yourself Limerickman?

Tonto said:
Hi,
Didn't see your post til just now. I did the Wicklow200 yesterday and was hoping to do the Ring of Kerry, except that it turns out I'll be away that weekend. My girlfriend works down in South Kerry a lot of the time, so I go down there quite a bit and was planning on doing the Ring on my own some time.
The Wicklow200 was fantastic. Really well organised (although I think a lot of the complaints from previous years were over the top), beautiful weather and a really well thought out route. The opening 90k to Donard were savage. The wind up Sally Gap and over Military Road route was just nasty. Donard to Slieve Maan was a more enjoyable, although longer, route than going through Ballinbarney Gap. From Rathdrum to the finish was really enjoyable. So much better to be able to enjoy the scenery and sunshine on the way home after a tough day than having to face into Sally and Luggala, as we did last year.
Did you do the Wicklow yourself Limerickman?

Didn't do - but I was at it.
Got pulled on in on the organising side of it for this year and was out there dispensing water/food etc.
I was in a support vehicle (small white car).

I'm glad you felt that it went well - we were blessed with clear weather but the breeze was pretty strong and it found out a lot of people on Sally Gap/Wicklow Gap.
Donard to summit of Slieve Mann killed people : the first part of the climb of Slieve Mann is always hard.
The number of British and Northern Ireland cyclists doing it yesterday was huge.
I met a team from Preston (Lancashire) and they were "enjoying" themselves.

Agree with you about Rathdrum to Roundwood - it's an "easy" part of the route but the sting in the tail was the climb back in to Enniskerry.
The amount of cyclists cramping there was significant.

Glad you enjoyed the day - well done getting around it and completing it.
From the comments I heard, according to W200 veterans, yesterday's was the toughest one in a long time, so that should make you feel even more satisfied having done it.

I'm hoping to do RoK in three weeks time (1st July).

limerickman said:
Didn't do - but I was at it.
Got pulled on in on the organising side of it for this year and was out there dispensing water/food etc.
I was in a support vehicle (small white car).

I'm glad you felt that it went well - we were blessed with clear weather but the breeze was pretty strong and it found out a lot of people on Sally Gap/Wicklow Gap.
Donard to summit of Slieve Mann killed people : the first part of the climb of Slieve Mann is always hard.
The number of British and Northern Ireland cyclists doing it yesterday was huge.
I met a team from Preston (Lancashire) and they were "enjoying" themselves.

Agree with you about Rathdrum to Roundwood - it's an "easy" part of the route but the sting in the tail was the climb back in to Enniskerry.
The amount of cyclists cramping there was significant.

Glad you enjoyed the day - well done getting around it and completing it.
From the comments I heard, according to W200 veterans, yesterday's was the toughest one in a long time, so that should make you feel even more satisfied having done it.

I'm hoping to do RoK in three weeks time (1st July).

You were one of the organisers.....well then, thank you very much for an excellent event, and please pass on my thanks, and those of my buddies who did the Wicklow with me, to your colleagues.
I'm not sure if you know the marshall who was on the big, white motorbike? I recognised him from the last two years. He was absolutely everywhere and he saved me from a possible nasty accident at the bottom of the hill past Powerscourt. He was at the junction there and stopped a car from pulling right out into my path.
It was a slightly weird day for me. I struggled right from the start and the expected easy run from Sally to Laragh didn't materialise because of the wind. Wicklow Gap and then the hills around Hollywood and Donard almost had me packing it in. Another cyclist knocked me off my bike in Hollywood, and when I got back one my bike the sensor from my speedo was jammed in my spokes and I went over the bars. At least I gave the watching locals something to laugh at.
Funnily the day turned for me on the hill at Aughavannagh. I started finding some strength and, apart the usual struggle up the start of Slieve Maan I felt great from there on.
The medals are very cool as well. Nice idea.
Anyway, enjoy the RoK. I've heard it's a great day out.

Tonto said:
You were one of the organisers.....well then, thank you very much for an excellent event, and please pass on my thanks, and those of my buddies who did the Wicklow with me, to your colleagues.
I'm not sure if you know the marshall who was on the big, white motorbike? I recognised him from the last two years. He was absolutely everywhere and he saved me from a possible nasty accident at the bottom of the hill past Powerscourt. He was at the junction there and stopped a car from pulling right out into my path.
It was a slightly weird day for me. I struggled right from the start and the expected easy run from Sally to Laragh didn't materialise because of the wind. Wicklow Gap and then the hills around Hollywood and Donard almost had me packing it in. Another cyclist knocked me off my bike in Hollywood, and when I got back one my bike the sensor from my speedo was jammed in my spokes and I went over the bars. At least I gave the watching locals something to laugh at.
Funnily the day turned for me on the hill at Aughavannagh. I started finding some strength and, apart the usual struggle up the start of Slieve Maan I felt great from there on.
The medals are very cool as well. Nice idea.
Anyway, enjoy the RoK. I've heard it's a great day out.

Thanks very much for the kind words.
I'm just a small cog in what is a very big wheel but I will most certainly pass on your comments to the committee.

I know that guy on the bike that you're referring to and he did an excellent job all day (he was still there when I left at 8.00pm).

The climb at Sally/Laragh/Wicklow was very hard : it's hard anyway but the breeze was really strong as you know and up there, there is no hiding place
when it's windy. And that makes it tougher.

On Slieve Mann the breeze seemed to be still in everyones face too.

That fall you had could have been nasty, Tonto but you got up and carried on which is the main thing.
I was very impressed with the locals and their support at the side of the road.
Many of them cheered on people and gave them good support - which was great.

fair dues to you for finishing it - it's a feather in the cap as they say.

Cheers.

Pat Walsh and Mark O'Brien from the Cranks in Cork are planning to do the Ring Cycle on 1st July. If the wind holds off it should be a great day, there are no killer hills until the last bit from Kenmare to Killarney over Molls Gap. We had a tough 60 mile training run on Wednesday in West Cork/Kerry against a strong Southwesterly, if that wind is there on the day it will make life bit tougher from Cahersiveen to Waterville and the exposed parts of the peninsula, but at least ye'll be hosed into Kenmare. It's a good cause and good crack though so best of luck to everyone who is planning to cycle.

Cod said:
Pat Walsh and Mark O'Brien from the Cranks in Cork are planning to do the Ring Cycle on 1st July. If the wind holds off it should be a great day, there are no killer hills until the last bit from Kenmare to Killarney over Molls Gap. We had a tough 60 mile training run on Wednesday in West Cork/Kerry against a strong Southwesterly, if that wind is there on the day it will make life bit tougher from Cahersiveen to Waterville and the exposed parts of the peninsula, but at least ye'll be hosed into Kenmare. It's a good cause and good crack though so best of luck to everyone who is planning to cycle.

Cod, tell me about that Southwesterly wind on Wednesday.
I did a 6hr session Limerick to Oranmore and back (111 miles)
The breeze was very very strong.

I'm in the dpeths of training for it at the moment : if that breeze is there next week, we'll be cooked I reckon.

Tell me, they say that there's no need to bring food along for the trip.
Is that true?

Thanks Lim.

limerickman said:
Cod, tell me about that Southwesterly wind on Wednesday.
I did a 6hr session Limerick to Oranmore and back (111 miles)
The breeze was very very strong.
I'm in the dpeths of training for it at the moment : if that breeze is there next week, we'll be cooked I reckon.
Tell me, they say that there's no need to bring food along for the trip.
Is that true?
Thanks Lim.
I was looking at the card today and the food stops seem a bit late in the day, (Cahersiveen and Kenmare I think?) so I reckon a few bananas and fig rolls wouldn't go amiss; although there are plenty of shops along the route in each of the towns and villages so you should be able to stock up as you go. Theres a fine Centra type shop in Glenbeigh and Sneem is well served too.
I won't be on the trip, I'm heading for the States on Tuesday so I'd be too knackered if I did the cycle, it takes me ages to recover; me wife would kill me if I was like a zombie on holidays! I'd love to do it though :(
I'll ask Pat Walsh for his ideas about grub; he's a physio and is doing the trip so he should have some good advice. I'll see him in work on Monday and send you a mail.

Cod said:
I was looking at the card today and the food stops seem a bit late in the day, (Cahersiveen and Kenmare I think?) so I reckon a few bananas and fig rolls wouldn't go amiss; although there are plenty of shops along the route in each of the towns and villages so you should be able to stock up as you go. Theres a fine Centra type shop in Glenbeigh and Sneem is well served too.
I won't be on the trip, I'm heading for the States on Tuesday so I'd be too knackered if I did the cycle, it takes me ages to recover; me wife would kill me if I was like a zombie on holidays! I'd love to do it though :(
I'll ask Pat Walsh for his ideas about grub; he's a physio and is doing the trip so he should have some good advice. I'll see him in work on Monday and send you a mail.

Cod,

You're a gentleman.
I was told by a guy who did it last year that the food stops were overly generous.
Not having done the RoK for years, I can't remember what it was like when I did it way back when.
So any info would be welcome.
But as you say there are plenty of shops "enroute".

Gotta stay on the right side of the wife - enjoy the USA!

Good luck to anyone doing the Ring.

Anyone on the Border Trek last weekend? It was a great weekend. Lovely weather, a really good crwod, fantastic organization and a bit of craic in Sligo on the Saturday night.

Tonto said:
Good luck to anyone doing the Ring.

Anyone on the Border Trek last weekend? It was a great weekend. Lovely weather, a really good crwod, fantastic organization and a bit of craic in Sligo on the Saturday night.

Thanks Tonto : how did the Border Trek go?

limerickman said:
Thanks Tonto : how did the Border Trek go?

First day from Enniskillen to Sligo was fantastic. 93 miles, mostly rolling hills, with some great scenery. Set off in a group off about 60 and we flew along for the first 30 miles or so. After that we hooked up with another group of about 20, mostly from Dundalk. A great bunch of lads and we all worked together pretty much all the way home, for the last 60 miles.
There was a party in Sligo on the Saturday night in the RTC (or whatever they call them these days). A decent meal with a bar and a band. Most people were staying in the student accomodation.
The Sunday was 110 miles back to Enniskillen, by a different route. I had a bad problem with my neck which flared up right from the start and so, after speaking with the event doctor, I had to take a shortcut back to Enniskillen. So, I ended up doing only 50 miles but still really enjoyed it.

Tonto said:
First day from Enniskillen to Sligo was fantastic. 93 miles, mostly rolling hills, with some great scenery. Set off in a group off about 60 and we flew along for the first 30 miles or so. After that we hooked up with another group of about 20, mostly from Dundalk. A great bunch of lads and we all worked together pretty much all the way home, for the last 60 miles.
There was a party in Sligo on the Saturday night in the RTC (or whatever they call them these days). A decent meal with a bar and a band. Most people were staying in the student accomodation.
The Sunday was 110 miles back to Enniskillen, by a different route. I had a bad problem with my neck which flared up right from the start and so, after speaking with the event doctor, I had to take a shortcut back to Enniskillen. So, I ended up doing only 50 miles but still really enjoyed it.

Well done - sounds like a good bit of craic.
Great that you had a group to work together on day 1.

Limerickman:
About the grub on Saturday for the Ring of Kerry cycle: I was off the air for the last few days, broadband out of action. Anyway, the lads in work who are going are not bringing any grub, they're goingto rely on local shops and the food stops for sustenance. I just came back from a nice 60 miler from Killarney around the Reeks and out to Glenbeigh via Carragh Lake, great day out. There was a nasty west wind there today but I don't think it's forecast for Saturday.. Have a great day anyway, hopefully see you there next year
Chris

Cod said:
Limerickman:
About the grub on Saturday for the Ring of Kerry cycle: I was off the air for the last few days, broadband out of action. Anyway, the lads in work who are going are not bringing any grub, they're goingto rely on local shops and the food stops for sustenance. I just came back from a nice 60 miler from Killarney around the Reeks and out to Glenbeigh via Carragh Lake, great day out. There was a nasty west wind there today but I don't think it's forecast for Saturday.. Have a great day anyway, hopefully see you there next year
Chris

Thanks for that Chris - I'll let you know how I get on!

Hi Limerickman,

I will be doing the RoK on Saturday for the 5th year, there is plenty of food at the Caherciveen stop, I don't bother to stop in Kenmare but the van carrying the "left overs" from Caherciveen overtakes us at some point! There are plenty of water stops too.

The weather forecast looks OK, last year it was horrible, I did the W200 last year but thanks to the weather I found the RoK tough.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the day!

lescol said:
Hi Limerickman,

I will be doing the RoK on Saturday for the 5th year, there is plenty of food at the Caherciveen stop, I don't bother to stop in Kenmare but the van carrying the "left overs" from Caherciveen overtakes us at some point! There are plenty of water stops too.

The weather forecast looks OK, last year it was horrible, I did the W200 last year but thanks to the weather I found the RoK tough.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the day!

Thanks Lescol,

I hope you do a good RoK this year.

You never know we might meet on the road - I'll be riding my green bianchi bike and I will be wearing the Bianchi jersey in the attached photo (which includes some cycle sport mags).