Wide cycling shoe recommendations

bikemistress

Feb 8, 2006
Hi! I am in need of new cycling shoes as my right foot hurts a lot when it swells. I need a wide cycling shoes. I already where a men's shoe (shimano carbon). Does anyone know any wide shoes, and do not recommend Sidi mega shoes because they start at size 42 and I need a 39. Has anyone tried the new Shimano wide carbon shoe?

:confused:

bikemistress said:
Hi! I am in need of new cycling shoes as my right foot hurts a lot when it swells. I need a wide cycling shoes. I already where a men's shoe (shimano carbon). Does anyone know any wide shoes, and do not recommend Sidi mega shoes because they start at size 42 and I need a 39. Has anyone tried the new Shimano wide carbon shoe?

The "Megas" actually start at 40, but that still doesn't get you there.
:(

bikemistress said:

Welcome to the forums....perhaps next time you could try..."I am a size 39 and the Sidi Megas do not start until they get to size 42, so please don't recommend then. Thank you for the help."

Have you tried a size 40 Mega? Sizing in shoes, especially between brands, is anything but constant.

That said, I wear Genius 5 Megas, now. Before, I tried Specialized Pro Carbon shoes, and they were too wide for my feet....so you might give Specialized shoes a try. I think Shimano has also widened their last, since I, uhm, tried them last, so maybe look there. Nike's are fairly narrow IMHO. DMT might be another route, albeit an expensive one. Maybe someone else can chime in re: Northwave, Carnac, Time...

alienator said:
Have you tried a size 40 Mega? Sizing in shoes, especially between brands, is anything but constant.

That said, I wear Genius 5 Megas, now. Before, I tried Specialized Pro Carbon shoes, and they were too wide for my feet....so you might give Specialized shoes a try. I think Shimano has also widened their last, since I, uhm, tried them last, so maybe look there. Nike's are fairly narrow IMHO. DMT might be another route, albeit an expensive one. Maybe someone else can chime in re: Northwave, Carnac, Time...

Some Carnac models do come in wide, but the wide widths seem to start at size 40. That being said, Carnac run a bit wide to start with (particularly in the toe box), and therefore one of their men's models that comes in sizes less than 40 may work.

bikemistress said:

If your feet are that difficult to fit, try some Rocket 7.

bikemistress said:
What is Rocket7?

Rocket 7 is available as custom made cycling shoes. Pricey though. Start at $439 for stock and up to $799 for full custom. (Though I thought I saw that a local shop here had stock sizes for a little less than $400.

http://www.rocket7.com/

Ouch! I am unemployed right now. I think I might try the wide Shimano one or the 40 Sidi Mega. By the way, it was a beautiful day for a ride in Calif. today and my feet did not swell. The summer is a different story though.

John M said:
Rocket 7 is available as custom made cycling shoes. Pricey though. Start at $439 for stock and up to $799 for full custom. (Though I thought I saw that a local shop here had stock sizes for a little less than $400.

bikemistress said:
Ouch! I am unemployed right now. I think I might try the wide Shimano one or the 40 Sidi Mega. By the way, it was a beautiful day for a ride in Calif. today and my feet did not swell. The summer is a different story though.

You know, John M. brought up a good point: men's shoes typically have a wider last, so you might just try men's shoes.

bikemistress said:

Go with a pair of Sidi Leather shoes and take them to an old school shoe repair shop with a shoe stretcher. They can do wonders with leather but not most synthetics. I have an extremely wide feet 5E and there are no shoes that match that. I was able to fit a wide Sidi shoe one size larger than normal and used that technique to accomodate my foot. They have been comfortable and used over the last 5 years and nearly 20K miles.

John M said:

Actually I bought mine from a local coach who sold me a computrainer, shoes and dynamic fitting for my bike. He discounted the shoes to $ 370 for a stock shoe size. They had a wide range of stock shoes and both of my feet are very similar in size, width and shape.

The Rocket shoes are almost half the weight of Sidi and other competitive shoes. They also have a very low stack height for a closer feeling to the pedal. I was skeptical at first but have found them to be the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn.

Scary part is that I currently wear a man's size Shimano Carbon shoe (not sure of model) that is a few year's old. The left foot shoe feels greaaattt so it is not the shoe but too many years of wearing high heels (and showing off my strong legs when I was younger) resulting in bunions. Luckily, guys (most guys anyway) don't need to worry about that.

THANKS ANY WAY.:D

alienator said:
You know, John M. brought up a good point: men's shoes typically have a wider last, so you might just try men's shoes.

I too wear a size 39 shoe, am female and have challenges finding shoes that fit. My foot is very wide in the toe box area with a high arch that goes very far forward towards the toes. This is what I have found in the shoe hunt... Yes, Rocket 7's will probably be a good solutions if you can afford them. If not, the widest shoes I have found in small sizes are Lake's CX 225 men's shoes with a MSRP of only $129.99. I have used both the road shoe and the corresponding MTB shoe for touring for the last couple of years to great success, although I found with the Lake shoe I fit a 40 a little better than a 39 (39's appear to be available at the manufacturer's web site though). I have worn Specialized shoes in size 39 in the past as they are wider (but not as wide as the Lakes). If the heel is too big in the men's wide Lake shoes, add a peel and stick rubber foam anti-slip heel nsert made for the task; you can find these at a lot of stores, I think I get mine at a Target store. I hope I have been of some help, I'm still looking for the ideal shoe though and may break down and buy Rocket 7's one day in the hopes that Iget a good pair.

bikemistress said:

bikemistress said:

I too am a female cyclist with challenges fitting shoes. Here's what I have found for my size 39 feet that are very wide at the toes, moderately wide at the ball of the foot and have a high arch that goes forward a long ways towards the toe area...
Yes, the Rocket 7's may be the ultimate solution, but they are pricey and from what I hear they do not always achieve that elusive Grail, the perfect shoe. That being said, I may well buy a pair one day and hope for the best. In the meantime, I have found that I try on shoes all the time in seach of a better pair. I have used for the last few years, Lake men's shoes in both mountain and road models in size 39 as they have the widest shoe I have found in small sizes. Currently, the road model CX 225 is a veritable bargain at MSRP of $129.99 compared to custom shoes. The next widest small shoe has been the Specialized models, but the toe box is not as roomy as the Lake. I have found that as shoes became more synthetic over the years, fit has been harder to achieve since synthetics don't stretch like all leather (sole included) Detto Pietro Article 74's did back when I started racing at the age of 16 in 1977!

renocycliste said:
Yes, the Rocket 7's may be the ultimate solution, but they are pricey and from what I hear they do not always achieve that elusive Grail, the perfect shoe.

I know a significant number of people with Rocket shoes and problems with fittings. I do not know anyone with a problem. I am not certain regarding how they deal with a poor fitting shoe. I think the best way to get the shoe is through a coach who facilitates the process. By using a coach and using his services, I got a discount on the shoes, and computrainer.

Thanks, but this past weekend, a LBS (local bike shop) had a SUPER SALE and I bought a pair of Sidi Genius Mega, and they even came in a size 40. I haven't tried them yet, only 'cause I was doing a long ride and did not want to try new shoes on a long ride, and haven't put the cleats on yet either.:)

vascdoc said:
I know a significant number of people with Rocket shoes and problems with fittings. I do not know anyone with a problem. I am not certain regarding how they deal with a poor fitting shoe. I think the best way to get the shoe is through a coach who facilitates the process. By using a coach and using his services, I got a discount on the shoes, and computrainer.