Wide cycling shoes.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Azqaz, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Azqaz

    Azqaz Guest

    I am looking to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals. I am really liking the looks and
    reviews of the eggbeaters, but I'm having a problem finding shoes. I have short fat feet, and I have
    only found one pair of wide width shoes. I wear a U.S. mens size 10 4e shoe. The charts say this
    would be a metric size 44, but the only wide shoes I have found only ran to 41. Does anyone have any
    suggestions on shoes that run wide, or actually come in wide widths?

    >I am looking to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals. I am really liking the looks and
    >reviews of the eggbeaters, but I'm having a problem finding shoes. I have short fat feet, and I
    >have only found one pair of wide width shoes. I wear a U.S. mens size 10 4e shoe. The charts say
    >this would be a metric size 44, but the only wide shoes I have found only ran to 41. Does anyone
    >have any suggestions on shoes that run wide, or actually come in wide widths?

    Well, they're quite pricy, but you should take a look at Sidi Mega Dominators, which are the wide
    version of the Sidi Dominator mountain bike shoes. I have 11 5E feet (thanks Mom!) and have been
    able to get the size 46 wide to fit with just a bit of stretching.

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  3. "azqaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals. I am really liking the looks and
    > reviews of the eggbeaters, but I'm having a problem finding shoes. I have short fat feet, and I
    > have only found one pair of wide width shoes. I wear a U.S. mens size 10 4e shoe. The charts say
    > this would be a metric size 44, but the only wide shoes I have found only ran to 41. Does anyone
    > have any suggestions on shoes that run wide, or actually come in wide widths?

    I too have paddle feet and was getting frustrated trying to find a simple 11D untill I checked out
    Pricepoint.com. I got a pair of Lake MX100 mtb shoes in 46 wide. They're normally 70 bucks or so but
    they were on sale for $19.00 plus shipping. My best bargain this year, by far.

    rich

    v2

  4. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    > MX100 mtb shoes in 46 wide. They're normally 70 bucks or so but they were on sale for $19.00 plus
    > shipping. My best bargain this year, by far.
    >
    > rich
    >
    > v2

    Lake is well known for making wide sizes. I got a pair of very nice CX? 201's normally $120 for
    $49.95 on one of Nashbars weekend sales. Dang good shoes too.

  5. Don

    Don Guest

    I second the recommendation for the MEGA Dominators by Sidi. They are the only ones that fit me.
    They are pricey but they are excellent and very durable shoes. Try Nashbar. I sometimes see the
    Megas on sale there.

  6. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Well, they're quite pricy, but you should take a look at Sidi Mega Dominators, which are the wide
    > version of the Sidi Dominator mountain bike shoes. I have 11 5E feet (thanks Mom!) and have been
    > able to get the size 46 wide to fit with just a bit of stretching.

    Lake also offers some of their shoes in a wide width.

    Hazrry Jiles

  7. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (azqaz) wrote:

    > I am looking to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals. I am really liking the looks and
    > reviews of the eggbeaters, but I'm having a problem finding shoes. I have short fat feet, and I
    > have only found one pair of wide width shoes. I wear a U.S. mens size 10 4e shoe. The charts say
    > this would be a metric size 44, but the only wide shoes I have found only ran to 41. Does anyone
    > have any suggestions on shoes that run wide, or actually come in wide widths?

    I only know of two brands that offer a wide cycling shoe. Sidi offers the Mega Dominator, which is
    wider than "regular" shoes, but not wide enough for me. Lake offers their "Xtreme" models which are
    wider than the Sidi Megas.

    -Carl

  8. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    shimano sandals.

  9. "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3E9F[email protected]...
    > shimano sandals.

    yes, shimano sandles are pretty wide (and the straps give a lot of fitting room,) but they have NO
    arch. none! I got the lake mtb shoes because I can put my birkenstock footbed/arches in them.

    which begs another question: anyone know of any bike sandles with big arche supports?

    rich, of the flat, wide feet

  10. Rocketman58

    Rocketman58 Guest

    I wear a 8.5 EE, and yes finding shoes is no fun at all. I have found that going up a half or even a
    full size will sometimes do the job. (there is very little consistency anymore in sizing).

    But, I also find that as well as wide shoes, I need wide pedals too. Most of the small clipless
    pedals present me with two problems: Depending on the placement of the cleat, the inside of my foot
    will rub the crank arms or the outside of my foot will want to roll over the outside edge of the
    pedals. I have found Time ATAC pedals to work well for me.

    Rocketman58

    [email protected] (azqaz) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking to get a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals. I am really liking the looks and
    > reviews of the eggbeaters, but I'm having a problem finding shoes. I have short fat feet, and I
    > have only found one pair of wide width shoes. I wear a U.S. mens size 10 4e shoe. The charts say
    > this would be a metric size 44, but the only wide shoes I have found only ran to 41. Does anyone
    > have any suggestions on shoes that run wide, or actually come in wide widths?

  11. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks for the tip on Lake shoes. I did not know about them. I will keep an eye out for them on
    sale. Can anyone tell me how many widths they come in? e.g. Sidis come in regular and Mega.
    Thanks, Don

  12. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Don) wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip on Lake shoes. I did not know about them. I will keep an eye out for them on
    > sale. Can anyone tell me how many widths they come in? e.g. Sidis come in regular and Mega.
    > Thanks, Don

    Lake is the same, just a regular and a wide (Xtreme). The Lake wide is a bit wider than the Sidi,
    especially across the front of the foot.

    -Carl

  13. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Carl <[email protected]> wrote in news:carl-536DAC.18014618042003 @newssvr26.news.prodigy.com:

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Don) wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the tip on Lake shoes. I did not know about them. I will keep an eye out for them on
    >> sale. Can anyone tell me how many widths they come in? e.g. Sidis come in regular and Mega.
    >> Thanks, Don
    >
    > Lake is the same, just a regular and a wide (Xtreme). The Lake wide is a bit wider than the Sidi,
    > especially across the front of the foot.
    >
    > -Carl

    Read some of their descriptions of their shoes, well thought out. The CX201's that I got are
    advertised for long distance riders (or something to that effect). They fit loosely in the toe box
    (for all day riding without numb toes) while fitting snugly on the heel to keep it from sliding off
    when laced loosely. I don't have wide feet so I got the regulars, but I find them roomier than any
    of the other 3 pair of shoes I've tried.

  14. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > I wear a 8.5 EE, and yes finding shoes is no fun at all.

    I wear a 8.5 EEE if I can find em, mostly I have to go to a 9 or 9.5, wide, to get a fit (Except for
    my White custom-made Smoke Jumper boots from their factory in Spokane). :)

    I bought Lake MX-201's, Xtreme. I find that they are barely wide enough for me. I bought a 43. Lots
    of toe room, but I can't cinch it too tight across the arch yet. I'll prolly do better after they
    age a bit. I kinda think they are like an E width. Not be bad, beggars can't be choosers. With wide
    feet (Hobbit feet) I always grab em when I find a shoe that fits. And is on sale. :)

    Sidi's too much $$$ for me.

    GeoB

  15. Don

    Don Guest

    GeoB. Maybe the 43s are not the correct size for you. I wear 7.5-8 depending on how wide the shoe is
    and I wear 42 Dominators and Mega Dominators. Both fit me but I like the Megas a lot better. My feet
    like them better too.

    I know just going to a larger size does not always work. Narrow minded (footed) clerks always want
    to bump me up a size but that just moves the wide part of the shoe too far forward for where I need
    it. Good luck. Don