WIDE mtb shoes?

Woland99

Guest
I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter
rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of my feet,
They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
least use them for MTB.
But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

On Apr 7, 2:40 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> OK for shorter rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> outer parts of  my feet

Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
too?

You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.

Maury

On Apr 7, 2:09 pm, Maury Markowitz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2:40 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> > OK for shorter rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> > outer parts of my feet

> Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
> too?
>
> You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
> make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
> They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
> little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.
>
> Maury

Thanks - on top of width I also have very high arch so yes - buying
any kind of shoes (ski boots included) is always time consuming.
Nothing fits. And velcro straps usually are too short to close.
Thanks for the suggestion about Garneau's.

On Apr 7, 8:40 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> OK for shorter
> rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> outer parts of  my feet,
> They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
> least use them for MTB.
> But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

This has unfortunately been gone over many times before, sadly without
a satisfactory conclusion.

I have wide-ish feet and I have found the Diadora Geko MTB to be the
roomiest MTB shoes around. And there is no way the velcro straps
wouldn't be long enough, provided you are a human.

Maybe it's not the shoes being too narrow. What happens if you just
wear them (off the bike) for 1 hour or more?

Joseph

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:40:38 -0700, Woland99 wrote:

> I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work OK
> for shorter
> rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the outer
> parts of my feet,
> They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
> least use them for MTB.
> But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

I have Sidi shoes on my wide feet. I believe there are "half sizes", in
which the width of the shoe goes up, compared to the normal size.

Greetings,
Marcel

On Apr 7, 2:29 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2:09 pm, Maury Markowitz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 7, 2:40 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> > > OK for shorter rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> > > outer parts of  my feet

> > Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
> > too?

> > You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
> > make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
> > They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
> > little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.

> > Maury

> Thanks - on top of width I also have very high arch so yes - buying
> any kind of shoes (ski boots included) is always time consuming.
> Nothing fits. And velcro straps usually are too short to close.
> Thanks for the suggestion about Garneau's.

the numbness might be due to soles that are too flexible; you are
pressing on a specific point on your foot, possibly compressing a
nerve juncture and that would lead to increasing pain. I have fairly
wide feet; and use sidi mtb shoes for my road bike and do longer
rides; the soles are fairly solid but allowing walking too; for wider
feet there is the "mega" versions of the shoe size; they are fairly
adjustible, some models have other solutions to the velcro straps;
they are very well contstructed, comfortable and snazzy looking too-
they are pricier than shimanos but if you consider how many hours you
might be wearing them you may see the worth. don't turn your head if
you see them when you are buying your cycling shoes

On Apr 7, 2:40 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> OK for shorter
> rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> outer parts of  my feet,
> They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
> least use them for MTB.
> But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

I have wide feet with messed up pinkie toes, and find my Answer
Speeders to be comfy. This is nice, because little is with my feet.

Sidi dominator Mega is a wide fitting version of the Sidi shoe. I have a
pair and they are definitely wider than the normal fitting.

Nick

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:09:41, Maury Markowitz wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2:40??pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
>> OK for shorter rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
>> outer parts of ??my feet

> Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
> too?

> You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
> make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
> They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
> little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.

I have a pair of Lake MX220 in wide that fit my feet well. For
summer, you can't beat the Shimano sandals (I have a pair of the older
SD60's with two velcro straps; the current SD65's have three straps).
The sandals were also Sheldon's favorite shoes.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

"news.internode.on.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Sidi dominator Mega is a wide fitting version of the Sidi shoe. I have a
> pair and they are definitely wider than the normal fitting.
>
> Nick

I like my Sidi Dom5 Megas. They have stretched out a bit because of my heavy
winter socks. So I will probably need to buy a smaller size (one notch down)
for summer wear. My feet tend to spread out, because I have flat feet.

J.

On Apr 7, 4:47 pm, "news.internode.on.net" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sidi dominator Mega is a wide fitting version of the Sidi shoe. I have a
> pair and they are definitely wider than the normal fitting.
>
> Nick
>
> "Woland99" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> >I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> > OK for shorter
> > rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> > outer parts of  my feet,
> > They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
> > least use them for MTB.
> > But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

feet wider than pedals? ply covers. try NASHBAR on the shoes. if ura
over 48 forgetabboitit

On Apr 7, 1:40 pm, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
> OK for shorter
> rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
> outer parts of my feet,
> They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
> least use them for MTB.
> But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

Thsnks for the suggestions y'all - I went to local REI and checked
SIDIs - they did not have Bullets2 in Mega size but they had Zeta
which seems like a road equivalent. Zetas fit OK - although velcro
straps were a bit on a short side. I may try to extend them somehow -
maybe glue velcro patch to end so I can velcro a short extra strap
on top. I got Bullets on order - as always nice thing about REI is
you can return them at any point.

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:40:38 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.tech,
Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any suggestions?

I have EEE feet. I found a pair of Pearl Izumi MTB shoes several
years ago at a LBS in Santa Rosa, CA when I was on a trip.

I wore them on several tours without any problem. Don't know the
model name or number now because the writing inside has all worn
away.

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:16:26 +0200, marcel <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have Sidi shoes on my wide feet. I believe there are "half sizes", in
>which the width of the shoe goes up, compared to the normal size.

Yes, there are, but the half-sizes are with respect to the general
size of the shoe, not just the width. For the width alone, Sidi has
two sizes, the "standard" and the "mega".

On Apr 8, 9:08 pm, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:16:26 +0200, marcel <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I have Sidi shoes on my wide feet. I believe there are "half sizes", in
> >which the width of the shoe goes up, compared to the normal size.

> Yes, there are, but the half-sizes are with respect to the general
> size of the shoe, not just the width.  For the width alone, Sidi has
> two sizes, the "standard" and the "mega".

And on those, they use the same sole. It's not really the width of the
shoe that is bigger, it is the general volume of the shoe. So folks
with wide flat feet (like myself) find the sole too narrow and the
upper baggy.

Joseph

On Apr 8, 2:17 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 9:08 pm, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:16:26 +0200, marcel <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > >I have Sidi shoes on my wide feet. I believe there are "half sizes", in
> > >which the width of the shoe goes up, compared to the normal size.

> > Yes, there are, but the half-sizes are with respect to the general
> > size of the shoe, not just the width. For the width alone, Sidi has
> > two sizes, the "standard" and the "mega".

> And on those, they use the same sole. It's not really the width of the
> shoe that is bigger, it is the general volume of the shoe. So folks
> with wide flat feet (like myself) find the sole too narrow and the
> upper baggy.
>
> Joseph

That's good news - I was given pair of Frankenstein bricks for feet
- they are not flat - but proportional in every direction. The Sidis
that tried at REI - Zeta, which I assume is road version of Bullet
seemed nice - light, well ventilated and with upper shell looking
like sth that could actually deform to accommodate your foot.
They felt "slippery" inside - compared to to Shimano M31 - I hope
that is just the impression you get when you walk in them/

On Apr 9, 3:01 am, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:17 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 9:08 pm, Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes, there are, but the half-sizes are with respect to the general
> > > size of the shoe, not just the width.  For the width alone, Sidi has
> > > two sizes, the "standard" and the "mega".

> > And on those, they use the same sole. It's not really the width of the
> > shoe that is bigger, it is the general volume of the shoe. So folks
> > with wide flat feet (like myself) find the sole too narrow and the
> > upper baggy.

> > Joseph

> That's good news - I was given pair of Frankenstein bricks for feet
> - they are not flat - but proportional in every direction. The Sidis
> that  tried at REI - Zeta, which I assume is road version of Bullet
> seemed nice - light, well ventilated and with upper shell looking
> like sth that could actually deform to accommodate  your foot.
> They felt "slippery" inside - compared to to Shimano M31 - I hope
> that is just the impression you get when you walk in them/

Sidi are very nice quality shoes. And they seem well suited for
"sausage feet" so they are probably going to be your best bet. I
wouldn't rule out the Diadora Geko though. MUCH longer velcro, and not
slippery like the Sidi. I had the same feeling about the Sidi (in
addition to them not fitting).

Joseph

On Apr 9, 2:00 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 3:01 am, Woland99 <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 8, 2:17 pm, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > And on those, they use the same sole. It's not really the width of the
> > > shoe that is bigger, it is the general volume of the shoe. So folks
> > > with wide flat feet (like myself) find the sole too narrow and the
> > > upper baggy.

> > > Joseph

> > That's good news - I was given pair of Frankenstein bricks for feet
> > - they are not flat - but proportional in every direction. The Sidis
> > that tried at REI - Zeta, which I assume is road version of Bullet
> > seemed nice - light, well ventilated and with upper shell looking
> > like sth that could actually deform to accommodate your foot.
> > They felt "slippery" inside - compared to to Shimano M31 - I hope
> > that is just the impression you get when you walk in them/

> Sidi are very nice quality shoes. And they seem well suited for
> "sausage feet" so they are probably going to be your best bet. I
> wouldn't rule out the Diadora Geko though. MUCH longer velcro, and not
> slippery like the Sidi. I had the same feeling about the Sidi (in
> addition to them not fitting).
>
> Joseph

Thanks for suggestion but it looks that Diadora Gekko are
"out of print" since 2007. I will try to like SIDIs - that Zeta
I tried at REI fit well - except slippery part.

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:40:38 -0700 (PDT), Woland99 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
>OK for shorter
>rides (< 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
>outer parts of my feet,
>They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
>least use them for MTB.
>But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

I've been using MTB for 200 double centuries as do many others. It's
not the pedal, it's the shoe. I happen to use Shimano T091, which I
think is now T092. It's a shoe with recessed cleat and unlugged sole.
They run wide and also will stretch a bit.