Wide range front mech

Ian Walker

Guest
Hoorah - back on UKR after a (too) long absence. Does anybody know whether it's possible to find a
triple front mech that can cope with a particularly large gap between the smallest and largest
chainrings. At the moment I've got a 22T difference, which seems to be the max for most mechs.
However, I'd like to fit a larger large chainring so need something with more clearance. Any ideas?

Ian

--
Ian Walker, Department of Psychology, University of Bath. Remove 'spamless' to reply. Homepage:
www.drianwalker.com

Ian Walker wrote:
> Hoorah - back on UKR after a (too) long absence. Does anybody know whether it's possible to
> find a triple front mech that can cope with a particularly large gap between the smallest and
> largest chainrings. At the moment I've got a 22T difference, which seems to be the max for most
> mechs. However, I'd like to fit a larger large chainring so need something with more clearance.
> Any ideas?

My tandem has happily run on 24T (28-41-52) for years, with a Suntour XC pro (and I also used it for
36-52-61 = 25T when time trialling). But I'd expect you can safely push any derailleur a bit beyond
its rated capacity, especially if you don't also push the chainring size too far outside the rated
range too!

James