Wide range front mech

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Walker, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    Hoorah - back on UKR after a (too) long absence. Does anybody know whether it's possible to find a
    triple front mech that can cope with a particularly large gap between the smallest and largest
    chainrings. At the moment I've got a 22T difference, which seems to be the max for most mechs.
    However, I'd like to fit a larger large chainring so need something with more clearance. Any ideas?

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker, Department of Psychology, University of Bath. Remove 'spamless' to reply. Homepage:
    www.drianwalker.com

    Tags:

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Ian Walker wrote:
    > Hoorah - back on UKR after a (too) long absence. Does anybody know whether it's possible to
    > find a triple front mech that can cope with a particularly large gap between the smallest and
    > largest chainrings. At the moment I've got a 22T difference, which seems to be the max for most
    > mechs. However, I'd like to fit a larger large chainring so need something with more clearance.
    > Any ideas?

    My tandem has happily run on 24T (28-41-52) for years, with a Suntour XC pro (and I also used it for
    36-52-61 = 25T when time trialling). But I'd expect you can safely push any derailleur a bit beyond
    its rated capacity, especially if you don't also push the chainring size too far outside the rated
    range too!

    James