Wide Shoes and Pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dario Wolfish, May 15, 2003.

  1. Well, now that I bought my new Trek 5200 road bike, I need to pick out shoes and pedals. I have
    large and very wide feet. (13 5E)

    I mainly want to ride distance and expect to do a lot of climbing.

    While, I do not want the cheapest available, I also don't want to spend a grand on pedals and
    shoes either.

    Sooooooooooooooo, what shoes and what pedals do you folks suggest? Email me or post your
    suggestions here.

    I again thank you all for all of your help in picking out my bike.

    Dario

    Tags:

  2. Robert Burns

    Robert Burns Guest

    I have 11 EE and I use Carnac shoes because of the wide toe box. I used Look pedals but dot hot
    spots. Switched to Time Pedals and I love 'em.

    I don't know if Carnac gets that big. If not, email me. There's a custom cycling shoe guy that my
    pal uses. spendy but sweet...............

    Bob "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, now that I bought my new Trek 5200 road bike, I need to pick out
    shoes
    > and pedals. I have large and very wide feet. (13 5E)
    >
    > I mainly want to ride distance and expect to do a lot of climbing.
    >
    > While, I do not want the cheapest available, I also don't want to spend a grand on pedals and
    > shoes either.
    >
    > Sooooooooooooooo, what shoes and what pedals do you folks suggest? Email
    me
    > or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > I again thank you all for all of your help in picking out my bike.
    >
    > Dario

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 01:22:38 GMT, "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, now that I bought my new Trek 5200 road bike, I need to pick out shoes and pedals. I have
    >large and very wide feet. (13 5E)

    I though I had large feet but my tiny 12Es go into some makes. In your case, get 2 or 3 titanium
    implants in each foot and and get bone anchored cleats or just mount soles to your foot.

  4. Mike Hejl

    Mike Hejl Guest

    Dario Wolfish <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, now that I bought my new Trek 5200 road bike, I need to pick out shoes and pedals. I have
    > large and very wide feet. (13 5E)

    Lake CX 220 shoes come in wide, bit I doubt 5E. Also, you can factory order Speedplays from your LBS
    with custom axle lengths.

    Mikey

  5. Paul Kopit wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 01:22:38 GMT, "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, now that I bought my new Trek 5200 road bike, I need to pick out shoes and pedals. I have
    >> large and very wide feet. (13 5E)
    >
    > I though I had large feet but my tiny 12Es go into some makes. In your case, get 2 or 3 titanium
    > implants in each foot and and get bone anchored cleats or just mount soles to your foot.

    Why not just implant the whole pedal spindle right through the foot.
    --
    Perre

  6. David

    David Guest

    What I would be concerned with is that the heal of your shoe will hit the chainstay on your
    revolution around your stroke. I have 11.5 shoes, and on normal spindle length with 172.5 cranks, I
    practically hit my chainstay, about 2-5 mm give. Good luck.

    David

    "Dario Wolfish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, now that I bought my new Trek 5200 road bike, I need to pick
    out shoes
    > and pedals. I have large and very wide feet. (13 5E)
    >
    > I mainly want to ride distance and expect to do a lot of climbing.
    >
    > While, I do not want the cheapest available, I also don't want to
    spend a
    > grand on pedals and shoes either.
    >
    > Sooooooooooooooo, what shoes and what pedals do you folks suggest?
    Email me
    > or post your suggestions here.
    >
    > I again thank you all for all of your help in picking out my bike.
    >
    > Dario

  7. Sidi Mega are the only wide shoes that fit me. I tried Carnacs. I tried custom "Lamson" shoes that
    came back too short (and then he went bankrupt and disappeared :( ). I ride on the mountain model
    (Dominators). I have seen them on sale for as little as $129, but usually they are more like $189.

    I rode for years with shoes that didn't fit. It was awful. It is worth the investment.

    Rob