Wide versus narrow handlebars

Lewie

Sep 27, 2010
My 58 cm TREK Madane came with 44 cm aluminum handlebars. I decided I wanted carbon fiber, and opted for the *** lite. 42s instead of 44s were put on by mistake. The bike shop said I could return them if I did not like them. Though I felt just a little cramped at first, and felt road cracks less, the biggest diffirence was in stability.With the 44s, the slighttest movement would send my off-line, and I felt very nervous getting any where near the edge of the road. I thought it was just my pedaling style. But with the C/F 42s, I can track a very straight line, and feel comfortable riding much closer to the edge of the road. I am not sure if it is the narrower bars or the carbon fiber, or both, but there is a huge difference. Is this normal?

Handlebar width should be determined by the width of your shoulders, such that you are in a neutral position with your arms/elbows shoulder-width apart. If you feel better with the 42cm bars, stick with them.

Originally Posted by CalicoCat .

Handlebar width should be determined by the width of your shoulders, such that you are in a neutral position with your arms/elbows shoulder-width apart. If you feel better with the 42cm bars, stick with them.

The fashion, since possibly the mid-80s, has been for wider bars but it takes a very big, broad-shouldered rider to actually NEED 44s. Eddy Merckx used 42s. You're in good company.

The handlebar to shoulder width is the old school way, the newer thinking is to go one size LARGER, they found this opens up the chest cavity and allowed the lungs to work better.