Road Cycling · Public discussion

Widening steel dropout spacing

Started by Jacobe Hazzard · · Last activity · 3 posts · 602 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 July 2004
Last activity
28 July 2004
Original author
Jacobe Hazzard
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
602
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an older steel road bike that used to be a 10 speed. I have built a
    new rear wheel with a 6 speed freewheel, which has different spacing from
    the old one (wider).

    I don't know what the spacing of the new hub is, or what the spacing of
    the frame is, but I am able to force the wheel into the dropouts by
    bending them apart with my fingers. Ostensibly, this solution is working
    for me. The wheel is properly aligned and the original derailers and
    friction shifters are working well with the new freewheel (12 speeds
    BABY!)

    Is it OK to ride the bike like this, or do I need to cold set the
    triangles so they hold the wider spacing with no wheel inserted?

    Thanks,
    Adam

  2. Jacobe Hazzard said:

    Is it OK to ride the bike like this, or do I need to cold set the
    triangles so they hold the wider spacing with no wheel inserted?

    I cold set mine following Sheldon's directions

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

    a little scary, but very easy.

  3. Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:36:13 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, "Jacobe

    Hazzard said:

    Is it OK to ride the bike like this, or do I need to cold set the
    triangles so they hold the wider spacing with no wheel inserted?

    It's okay like it is.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
    --
    zk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.