Wider platform clipless pedals?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual stuff,
    but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base to spread
    the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the torque put on
    the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any ideas out there?

    Thanks,

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in news:b41df48c.0301191636.7e8cb691 @posting.google.com:

    > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base
    > to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the
    > torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any
    > ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

    I went to SPD-R for just that reason. I'm "fixed" now, but I think it's more due to the size bigger
    shoe(one size up from my normal) and loose lacing I started at the same time.

  3. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Scott, I use Shimano 545 for just that reason, but I still have the same old hotfoot sometimes.
    Evenwhen you use a larger pedal the contact area of the cleat is still the same. maybe the bigger
    style cleat is better. Ben fox "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base
    > to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the
    > torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any
    > ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

  4. Looks probably have the largest area; there are also available Shimano MTB pedals which are
    effectively big cage pedals with a pop-up bit wot you clip into.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base
    > to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the
    > torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any
    > ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

    After using those "horshoe" BMX pedals for years, I got Kneesavers this year. These might be worth a
    try for your wife. Good Luck!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  6. [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base
    > to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the
    > torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any
    > ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

    I have a pair of Shimano PD-M545 pedals for sale ($40) if you're interested.

  7. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Scott,

    I have a fairly broad SPD pedal, a pair of SPD sandals and a pair of SPD MTB shoes. The sandals work
    great. The MTB shoes had become painful to wear while riding due to pressure where the pedal
    attached to the shoe. As the sandals worked well, it was obviously not the pedal but the shoes. I
    improvised a stiffer sole in my shoes. I cut some flexible plastic notebook dividers to the shape of
    the inside of the shoe and inserted them under the shoe support liners. Voila, it worked. It was a
    cheap fix and surprizingly comfortable. The shoes are a little tighter.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base
    > to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the
    > torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any
    > ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

  8. Hairyone

    Hairyone Guest

    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Looks probably have the largest area; there are also available Shimano MTB pedals which are
    >effectively big cage pedals with a pop-up bit wot you clip into.
    >
    >Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    >
    >I have the Shimano 424 which are the type MTB pedals that Dave is refering
    to. I will still get a hot spot if I dont get all three straps adjusted properly on my Sidi shoes.
    harry Harry VR40/oss

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:45:25 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Looks probably have the largest area; there are also available Shimano MTB pedals which are
    >effectively big cage pedals with a pop-up bit wot you clip into.

    I've never had hotspots with Look either, but have had on my Shimano SPD / platform pedals (the SPD
    bit projects)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Gary: This is interesting. Are the sandals particularly stiff? My wife and I have *very* stiff ($)
    shoes (she's using top-end Sidi's), so maybe this isn't the problem? The cleat is as far back as
    possible, but I have yet to lengthen the holes. Hmmmm....

    Scott

    [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Scott,
    >
    > I have a fairly broad SPD pedal, a pair of SPD sandals and a pair of SPD MTB shoes. The sandals
    > work great. The MTB shoes had become painful to wear while riding due to pressure where the pedal
    > attached to the shoe. As the sandals worked well, it was obviously not the pedal but the shoes. I
    > improvised a stiffer sole in my shoes. I cut some flexible plastic notebook dividers to the shape
    > of the inside of the shoe and inserted them under the shoe support liners. Voila, it worked. It
    > was a cheap fix and surprizingly comfortable. The shoes are a little tighter.
    >
    > Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City
    >

    > [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide*
    > > base to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about
    > > the torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current
    > > system? Any ideas out there?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Scott

  11. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thanks for your input, everyone.

    Harry and Dave: I'm checking out some Shimano M525 that have the cage and pop-up binding. Now do I
    understand correctly that once you clip in, the spd binding sets back into the cage so the whole
    cage is now supporting your foot in addition to the binding? How well does this work? Do you really
    *feel* the extra support?

    Thanks.

    Scott

    "Hairyone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Looks probably have the largest area; there are also available Shimano MTB pedals which are
    > >effectively big cage pedals with a pop-up bit wot you clip into.
    > >
    > >Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > >===========================================================
    > > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    > > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    > >===========================================================
    > >
    > >I have the Shimano 424 which are the type MTB pedals that Dave is refering
    > to. I will still get a hot spot if I dont get all three straps adjusted properly on my Sidi shoes.
    > harry Harry VR40/oss

  12. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Scott,

    The shoe and sandal are both stiff overall. But, the shoe has a removable insole, not so the sandal.
    The removable insole in the shoe is a thing layer of styrafoam/foam-rubber, without almost no
    stiffness. It allows access to the cleat bracket from inside the shoe. There was no stiff layer
    between the cleat bracket and the foot. Pressure was being transmitted from the metal cleat bracket
    to the foot, more so on one foot than the other. I tried moving the cleat around, the pain just
    followed it. I inserted a thin, barely flexible layer of plastic to disperse the pressure.

    I am not sure about the layers of the sandal as everything is glued together. I have never had
    problems with the sandals.

    Gary

  13. Guy Chapman wrote:

    > I've never had hotspots with Look either

    I have, but this should be qualified with the proviso that it also depends on the shoes as well. I
    had no problems with Look or Gaerne shoes, some with Shimano and a lot more with my current Nike
    kit. Fortunately, these are falling apart, so I am intending to try Specialized next.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On 20 Jan 2003 18:12:30 -0800, [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote:

    >The removable insole in the shoe is a thing layer of styrafoam/foam-rubber, without almost no
    >stiffness. It allows access to the cleat bracket from inside the shoe. There was no stiff layer
    >between the cleat bracket and the foot. Pressure was being transmitted from the metal cleat bracket
    >to the foot, more so on one foot than the other. I tried moving the cleat around, the pain just
    >followed it. I inserted a thin, barely flexible layer of plastic to disperse the pressure.

    The cleat bracket used to bother me until I added foam padding held by duct tape on top of the cleat
    bracket. This is underneath the thin footbed insert in my Lake MTB shoes. I used enough foam to
    actually create a soft 'bump' over the SPD mounting bracket., but once the shoes are on, it isn't
    noticeable.

    Jon Meinecke

  15. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Jon,

    I tried something close to that and made sure the cleat was extra tight to pull the bracket into the
    shoe, but nothing helped much. The thin layer of sort of stiff plastic was my umpteenth attempt to
    find something to work.

    Gary McCarty.

    Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The cleat bracket used to bother me until I added foam padding held by duct tape on top of the
    > cleat bracket. This is underneath the thin footbed insert in my Lake MTB shoes. I used enough foam
    > to actually create a soft 'bump' over the SPD mounting bracket., but once the shoes are on, it
    > isn't noticeable.
    >
    > Jon Meinecke

  16. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On 21 Jan 2003 13:14:36 -0800, [email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote:

    >I tried something close to that and made sure the cleat was extra tight to pull the bracket into
    >the shoe, but nothing helped much. The thin layer of sort of stiff plastic was my umpteenth attempt
    >to find something to work.

    Different shoes may be the answer more than different pedals, but as several others have suggested,
    there are combination clipless/platform pedals that might help.

    Further shoe modifications may be possible, though.

    I considered filling the cutout inside my cheap Look MTB shoes with silicone sealant both to fill
    the top side of the cleat back et mounting space and to seal the soles (water and air).

    So far, the duct tape and foam solution is sufficient. It's two layers of duct tape covering the
    cleat mounting slots, a layer of dense open-cell foam (probably 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick) more than
    filling the cut-out, a layer of duct tape compressing and securing the foam, then the original thin
    foam footbed.

    Jon Meinecke

  17. Scott,

    I had the same problem no matter what shoes I wore. After switching to Speedplay Frogs I determined
    that the reason I was getting hot spots was due to lack of "float". That is, my foot was twisting in
    the shoe because the pedal didn't allow for the natural movement of my knee/ankle. No more hotspots
    - I did a 260 mile 3-Day weekend with no numbness or hot spots.

    Walk behind someone and look at their foot. It's not uncommon to see someone actually change the
    "toe in / toe out" position of their foot through each step and lift.

    Chris

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide* base
    > to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about the
    > torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current system? Any
    > ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott

  18. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Chris: Sounds good but no go. We've got Speedplays but still mega ouch! We've ordered some
    Look-equivalent pedals from Nashbar and found some Lake shoes that allow walking and such--on sale,
    too. Actually, I found the Lake shoes @ Pricepoint.com for $25! Our current setup includes the Frogs
    and *very* stiff, high-end shoes. I'll report back after we've done some miles w/the new set up.
    After doing some searches and reading some of the responses here, it seems that several people have
    gotten relief with the much wider contact area of Look pedals.

    Regards, Scott

    [email protected] (Chris Champion) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Scott,
    >
    > I had the same problem no matter what shoes I wore. After switching to Speedplay Frogs I
    > determined that the reason I was getting hot spots was due to lack of "float". That is, my foot
    > was twisting in the shoe because the pedal didn't allow for the natural movement of my knee/ankle.
    > No more hotspots - I did a 260 mile 3-Day weekend with no numbness or hot spots.
    >
    > Walk behind someone and look at their foot. It's not uncommon to see someone actually change the
    > "toe in / toe out" position of their foot through each step and lift.
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Here's the deal: My wife is having some problems with hot spots. We're going to try the usual
    > > stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a clipless pedal that also has a *wide*
    > > base to spread the pressure over a greater area. I know about powerstraps but am concerned about
    > > the torque put on the knees. Are Bebops and better in this regard than Frogs, our current
    > > system? Any ideas out there?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Scott

  19. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

    Speedplay road pedals seem to have the largest available cleat area. Mine have worked very well for
    me, though I first took a dremel tool to them so they would release both ways.

    Craig

  20. Craig wrote:

    > Speedplay road pedals seem to have the largest available cleat area

    Seems to me that Look and Time road pedals are larger than Speedplays.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/