Widest Grooved Road Bars?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for the widest road bar (not Dirt Drop or) that have double grooves for Campy Ergo. I
    heard Modolo has a very wide tandem stoker bar, but haven't found it nor do I know if it has
    grooves. Thanks.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. gjacobson-ya know you can route the der housing in front of the bar with ERGO so you could yse a
    single grooved bar-like Ritchey which i think makes a 46cm ctr to ctr-

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for the widest road bar (not Dirt Drop or) that have double grooves for Campy Ergo. I
    > heard Modolo has a very wide tandem stoker bar, but haven't found it nor do I know if it has
    > grooves.

    You didn't say how wide is wide. If 46 is OK, those are available from several manufacturers.

  4. I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While these work, I really like wider
    bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto Dirt Drops which are very wide, and so oddly shapen so
    as to limit the usefullness of comparison measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy weather bike.
    Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's, and would like a lighter, modern bar for my faster mount.

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking for the widest road bar (not Dirt Drop or) that have double grooves for Campy Ergo.
    > > I heard Modolo has a very wide tandem stoker bar, but haven't found it
    nor
    > > do I know if it has grooves.
    >
    > You didn't say how wide is wide. If 46 is OK, those are available from several manufacturers.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Gary Jacobson
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size.

    Single-groove bars in 46 c-c are available. Double groove I have not seen that big. I would just run
    both cables in the single groove.

    --Paul

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, Gary Jacobson
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size.

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:COQea.33777$A%[email protected]...
    > Single-groove bars in 46 c-c are available. Double groove I have not seen that big. I would just
    > run both cables in the single groove.

    ITM Scatto is a modern "ergo" double-grooved bar . We have 'em in 46

  7. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Gary Jacobson
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size.
    >
    > Single-groove bars in 46 c-c are available. Double groove I have not seen that big. I would just
    > run both cables in the single groove.

    I just picked up a set of bars ITM bars that are 46 o-o double grooved. They were pretty cheap ($15)
    from nashbar - cheap being the reason I settled on this particular one.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g ... I don't know why but, suddenly, I
    want to discuss declining I.Q. LEVELS with a blue ribbon SENATE SUB-COMMITTEE!

  8. Chuan Chew

    Chuan Chew Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While these work, I really like
    > wider bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto Dirt Drops which are very wide, and so oddly
    > shapen so as to limit the usefullness of comparison measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy
    > weather bike. Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's, and would like a lighter, modern bar for my
    > faster mount.
    >
    > Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Salsa does a cyclocross bar that is 46cm c-c at the hoods, widening to 52cm c-c at the drops.

    --Chuan

  9. Chuan Chew

    Chuan Chew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Chuan Chew
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, "Gary Jacobson"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While these work, I really like
    > > wider bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto Dirt Drops which are very wide, and so oddly
    > > shapen so as to limit the usefullness of comparison measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy
    > > weather bike. Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's, and would like a lighter, modern bar for
    > > my faster mount.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY
    >

    > Salsa does a cyclocross bar that is 46cm c-c at the hoods, widening to 52cm c-c at the drops.
    >
    > --Chuan

    Oops, I just remembered it's not double-grooved. Still, as Peter Chisholm points out, front routing
    of both cables works.

    --Chuan

  10. "Gary Jacobson" wrote:

    >>I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While the=
    se
    >>work, I really like wider bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto=
    Dirt
    >>Drops which are very wide, and so oddly shapen so as to limit the usefullness of comparison
    >>measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy weather bike. Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's,
    >>and would like a=

    >>lighter, modern bar for my faster mount.

    You might want to reconsider the groove "requirement." Grooves are=20 utterly unnecessary. Indeed,
    ergo shift cables along the back edge of=20 the bar, if carefully located, can provide a wider
    "flat" area to=20 support the heels of your hands in greater comfort.

    Sheldon "Not In A Rut" Brown +----------------------------------------------------+
    | I=92m not convinced that this was the right time | to attack Iraq, but I would like to express
    | my | support for, and gratitude to U.S. and allied | fighting forces, and to wish them all
    | success. |
    +----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > You might want to reconsider the groove "requirement." Grooves are utterly unnecessary.

    I disagree. The feeling of the protruding cable feels uncomfortable to
    me.

    > Indeed, ergo shift cables along the back edge of the bar, if carefully located, can provide a
    > wider "flat" area to support the heels of your hands in greater comfort.

    ...But not so comfortable at the hoods and curves, in my experience with Ergos. I prefer running
    both cables along the front (which is possible with new-style Ergos), and a groove does help there.
    This routing also results in less cable friction due to the less-sharp bends.

    If one likes fat handlebars, then it can help slightly to use two layers of padded tape with a
    "groove" cut into the first layer for the cable(s) (with scotch tape to hold it together).

    ~PB