Widest Grooved Road Bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Jacobson

I'm looking for the widest road bar (not Dirt Drop or) that have double grooves for Campy Ergo. I
heard Modolo has a very wide tandem stoker bar, but haven't found it nor do I know if it has
grooves. Thanks.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

gjacobson-ya know you can route the der housing in front of the bar with ERGO so you could yse a
single grooved bar-like Ritchey which i think makes a 46cm ctr to ctr-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for the widest road bar (not Dirt Drop or) that have double grooves for Campy Ergo. I
> heard Modolo has a very wide tandem stoker bar, but haven't found it nor do I know if it has
> grooves.

You didn't say how wide is wide. If 46 is OK, those are available from several manufacturers.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While these work, I really like wider
bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto Dirt Drops which are very wide, and so oddly shapen so
as to limit the usefullness of comparison measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy weather bike.
Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's, and would like a lighter, modern bar for my faster mount.

Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm looking for the widest road bar (not Dirt Drop or) that have double grooves for Campy Ergo.
> > I heard Modolo has a very wide tandem stoker bar, but haven't found it
nor
> > do I know if it has grooves.
>
> You didn't say how wide is wide. If 46 is OK, those are available from several manufacturers.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

In article <[email protected]>, Gary Jacobson
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size.

Single-groove bars in 46 c-c are available. Double groove I have not seen that big. I would just run
both cables in the single groove.

--Paul

> In article <[email protected]>, Gary Jacobson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size.

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:COQea.33777$A%[email protected]...
> Single-groove bars in 46 c-c are available. Double groove I have not seen that big. I would just
> run both cables in the single groove.

ITM Scatto is a modern "ergo" double-grooved bar . We have 'em in 46
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Gary Jacobson
>>I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size.
>
> Single-groove bars in 46 c-c are available. Double groove I have not seen that big. I would just
> run both cables in the single groove.

I just picked up a set of bars ITM bars that are 46 o-o double grooved. They were pretty cheap ($15)
from nashbar - cheap being the reason I settled on this particular one.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g ... I don't know why but, suddenly, I
want to discuss declining I.Q. LEVELS with a blue ribbon SENATE SUB-COMMITTEE!

In article <[email protected]>, "Gary Jacobson"

> I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While these work, I really like
> wider bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto Dirt Drops which are very wide, and so oddly
> shapen so as to limit the usefullness of comparison measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy
> weather bike. Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's, and would like a lighter, modern bar for my
> faster mount.
>
> Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Salsa does a cyclocross bar that is 46cm c-c at the hoods, widening to 52cm c-c at the drops.

--Chuan

In article <[email protected]>, Chuan Chew

> In article <[email protected]>, "Gary Jacobson"
>
> > I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While these work, I really like
> > wider bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto Dirt Drops which are very wide, and so oddly
> > shapen so as to limit the usefullness of comparison measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy
> > weather bike. Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's, and would like a lighter, modern bar for
> > my faster mount.
> >
> > Thanks. Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY
>
>
> Salsa does a cyclocross bar that is 46cm c-c at the hoods, widening to 52cm c-c at the drops.
>
> --Chuan

Oops, I just remembered it's not double-grooved. Still, as Peter Chisholm points out, front routing
of both cables works.

--Chuan

"Gary Jacobson" wrote:

>>I guess that 44 c-c, or 46 o-o are the largest standard size. While the=
se
>>work, I really like wider bars as I am very broad on top, and use Nitto=
Dirt
>>Drops which are very wide, and so oddly shapen so as to limit the usefullness of comparison
>>measurements, on my touring/commuter/sloppy weather bike. Anyway, I was happy to find the Nitto's,
>>and would like a=

>>lighter, modern bar for my faster mount.

You might want to reconsider the groove "requirement." Grooves are=20 utterly unnecessary. Indeed,
ergo shift cables along the back edge of=20 the bar, if carefully located, can provide a wider
"flat" area to=20 support the heels of your hands in greater comfort.

Sheldon "Not In A Rut" Brown +----------------------------------------------------+
| I=92m not convinced that this was the right time | to attack Iraq, but I would like to express
| my | support for, and gratitude to U.S. and allied | fighting forces, and to wish them all
| success. |
+----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> You might want to reconsider the groove "requirement." Grooves are utterly unnecessary.

I disagree. The feeling of the protruding cable feels uncomfortable to
me.

> Indeed, ergo shift cables along the back edge of the bar, if carefully located, can provide a
> wider "flat" area to support the heels of your hands in greater comfort.

...But not so comfortable at the hoods and curves, in my experience with Ergos. I prefer running
both cables along the front (which is possible with new-style Ergos), and a groove does help there.
This routing also results in less cable friction due to the less-sharp bends.

If one likes fat handlebars, then it can help slightly to use two layers of padded tape with a
"groove" cut into the first layer for the cable(s) (with scotch tape to hold it together).

~PB

Status
Not open for further replies.