width of shimano freehubs

"Peter" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I'm looking to try out a singlespeed bike on my old mtb, which currently
> has a 7spd Deore freehub in it.
> Is this the same width as a 8/9 spd freehub?

No, it's about 5mm shorter.

> I would like to fit one of these on it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-Speed-...9QQihZ020QQcategoryZ42329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks as though you could simply omit one of the smaller spacers provided
with the kit.

A quick Google found this:

http://www.diaryofamountainbiker.co.uk/oct05/dead_head_singlespeed_kit.jpg

which appears to show all three spacers in use on an 8/9 speed hub.

More versatile in terms of chainline (though not as neat) is to use the
spacers from a few old cassettes.

James Thomson

In article <[email protected]>
Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking to try out a singlespeed bike on my old mtb, which currently has
> a 7spd Deore freehub in it.
> Is this the same width as a 8/9 spd freehub?
>
> I would like to fit one of these on it:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-Speed-...9QQihZ020QQcategoryZ42329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ITYM http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300031945879
Why not just take your standard cassette and rearrange the sprockets so
the one you want is in the middle, with a smaller one on either side?
If you have a worn-out cassette to play with you can use the spacers
from that (and flip the sprockets to use the un-worn side).