Width of Shimano HG22 freewheel

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Iceberg, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Iceberg

    Iceberg Guest

    Hi, does anybody know how thick the Shimano HG22 6-speed freewheel is? or does anybody know a link
    that will tell me the full dimensions of Shimano freewheels anywhere?

    The reason I would like to know is that I have a very old 15-speed mountain bike and after much
    trouble I have finally been able to remove the old worn-out freewheel from it and I would like
    to upgrade it to something more modern, but I only have around 30mm on the rear axle to play
    with and I'm hoping the HG22 is less than or equal to this (the old 5-speed freewheel is about
    25mm in depth).

    thanks for any replies.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:02:16 GMT, "Iceberg" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >Hi, does anybody know how thick the Shimano HG22 6-speed freewheel is? or does anybody know a link
    >that will tell me the full dimensions of Shimano freewheels anywhere?
    >
    >The reason I would like to know is that I have a very old 15-speed mountain bike and after much
    >trouble I have finally been able to remove the old worn-out freewheel from it and I would like
    >to upgrade it to something more modern, but I only have around 30mm on the rear axle to play
    >with and I'm hoping the HG22 is less than or equal to this (the old 5-speed freewheel is about
    >25mm in depth).
    >
    >thanks for any replies.

    You'd be better off asking on the uk.rec.cycling newsgroup.

    Stuff of this vintage is old enough that many people will never have ridden 5-6 speed. To be honest,
    even 6 speed freewheels are obselete, and have been for some time. I bought a second hand road bike
    in the early 1990s and its six speed freehub was out of date then. I converted it to 7 speed by
    adding a new freehub, cassette and shifter.

    What about the new shifter you may need (is it indexed)? If it's as old as you say, you will almost
    certainly have to replace the worn chain and possibly chainrings (are they seperate, or would you
    have to replace the cranks too)? Assuming a narrow old-stylee hub width, you may find that having to
    redish the wheel will compromise its strength. I'd suggest a new rear wheel entirely, but you might
    have problems finding one that fits between your dropouts. Suddenly its all looking a bit expensive.

    Sometimes you have to know when to send the bike to the knackers yard.......or convert it to
    singlespeed....

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Iceberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, does anybody know how thick the Shimano HG22 6-speed freewheel is? or does anybody know a link
    > that will tell me the full dimensions of
    Shimano
    > freewheels anywhere?
    >
    > The reason I would like to know is that I have a very old 15-speed
    mountain
    > bike and after much trouble I have finally been able to remove the old
    worn-out
    > freewheel from it and I would like to upgrade it to something more modern,
    but
    > I only have around 30mm on the rear axle to play with and I'm hoping the
    HG22
    > is less than or equal to this (the old 5-speed freewheel is about 25mm in depth).

    You should consider taking it to someone who can spread the chainstays. Old steel mountain bikes
    can be cold set relatively easily without compromising integrity. Talk with your local bike shops -
    they should know someone who does frame repair and realignment. Wider chainstay spacing means more
    gears for you!

    -Buck

  4. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Iceberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, does anybody know how thick the Shimano HG22 6-speed
    freewheel is?
    > or does anybody know a link that will tell me the full
    dimensions of Shimano
    > freewheels anywhere?
    >
    > The reason I would like to know is that I have a very old
    15-speed mountain
    > bike and after much trouble I have finally been able to
    remove the old worn-out
    > freewheel from it and I would like to upgrade it to
    something more modern, but
    > I only have around 30mm on the rear axle to play with and
    I'm hoping the HG22
    > is less than or equal to this (the old 5-speed freewheel
    is about 25mm in
    > depth).
    >
    > thanks for any replies.

    The HG22 six speed is about 33mm wide. The similar HG37 seven speed freewheel with lock ring is
    about 36mm. The older type Shimano 600/DuraAce six speed freewheel with screw-on small sprocket is a
    bit narrower than the HG22 at about 32mm.

    You could try using either of these six speeds, add spacers to the axle to provide clearance, then
    "spring" the dropouts apart when you put the wheel in....

  5. Iceberg

    Iceberg Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > "Iceberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, does anybody know how thick the Shimano HG22 6-speed
    > freewheel is?
    > > or does anybody know a link that will tell me the full
    > dimensions of Shimano
    > > freewheels anywhere?
    > >
    > > The reason I would like to know is that I have a very old
    > 15-speed mountain
    > > bike and after much trouble I have finally been able to
    > remove the old worn-out
    > > freewheel from it and I would like to upgrade it to
    > something more modern, but
    > > I only have around 30mm on the rear axle to play with and
    > I'm hoping the HG22
    > > is less than or equal to this (the old 5-speed freewheel
    > is about 25mm in
    > > depth).
    > >
    > > thanks for any replies.
    > >

    > The HG22 six speed is about 33mm wide. The similar HG37 seven speed freewheel with lock ring is
    > about 36mm. The older type Shimano 600/DuraAce six speed freewheel with screw-on small sprocket is
    > a bit narrower than the HG22 at about 32mm.
    >
    > You could try using either of these six speeds, add spacers to the axle to provide clearance, then
    > "spring" the dropouts apart when you put the wheel in....

    Thanks a lot, that's just what I needed to know!

  6. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I did it from a 15 speed to a 21 speed with A 7 speed freewheel. 40 mm Shimano Mega 34 T. With the
    34 T who needs to stand out of the saddle to climb a hill not me.

    Fire up MTB 03