wieght training and cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
alienator said:
So, let's get this straight: you're calling Gman a liar, right?

Well, I guess that pretty much sums up what you're all about, troll.

Sorry, odds are stacked way against.

Chapeau! said:
Both lifts do complement each other, but muscle activation %'s differ from the 2 lifts.

Evidence says you are wrong.

Again, when progressive overload was first mentioned, we was referring to weight training & you had it all wrong.

That is the 2nd time you have used "we was", are we speaking with an 8 year old.

What part of overload don't I understand? Frequency, Intensity, Type and Time. Manipulate one of all to increase or decrease overload. I just did a series of hill reps. Took my average power for the 2nd effort and then kept repeating till the power dropped by 20 watts from the 2nd effort. I could increase the overload by doing them every day instead of every 2nd day, I could set the bar ten watts higher next time, I could do them on a steeper hill to chase efficiency or behind a motorbike to chase leg speed and I could increase the time to chase greater aerobic adaptations or decrease time to chase anaerobic adaptations.

In terms of velocity.

What about max force overload?.

What happens when you reach the 66kph velocity overload milestone & you can't go any faster?.

What any sensible coach would do. Manipulate Overload. If they can't do 67kph for 200m then start with 67kph for 50m, building to 100m, then 150m till they can do 67kph for 200m.

The Aussies chased max force overload and they had the highest peak strength, peak power and peak speed. Only thing they didn't have was any success in the racing.

Chapeau! said:

Well not only is critical thought not one of your strong points, you also seem to struggle with the English language.

So, you're right in that the odds are stacked against you being anything but a troll. All you've contributed has been name calling and the like.

As for the odds being stacked against Gman or not re: what he says, the odds are against you having the knowledge to make such a claim. In fact, you seem unable to back up any claims with anything resembling data or actual evidence. No, I don't mean the worthless retorts you give based on your what your "realist eyes" tell you. I mean actual evidence. Face it: you know nothing about Gman's physiology, metabolism, or work out regime, just as you have no intimate knowledge of Tony Martin's physiology, metabolism, or work out regime. In your eyes, something is proven just because you thought it must be so.

Chapeau! said:

What you being a troll. No I think that too. So do the Mods.

Go ride a bike some time. You might enjoy it:p

fergie said:
Evidence says you are wrong.

No it doesn't.

Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. said:
Results: Overall EMG activity from the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and tibialis anterior were significantly greater in the sumo deadlift, whereas overall EMG activity from the medial gastrocnemius was significantly greater in the conventional deadlift.

Muscle activation %'s differ from the 2 lifts.

fergs said:
What part of overload don't I understand? Frequency, Intensity, Type and Time. Manipulate one of all to increase or decrease overload. I just did a series of hill reps. Took my average power for the 2nd effort and then kept repeating till the power dropped by 20 watts from the 2nd effort. I could increase the overload by doing them every day instead of every 2nd day, I could set the bar ten watts higher next time, I could do them on a steeper hill to chase efficiency or behind a motorbike to chase leg speed and I could increase the time to chase greater aerobic adaptations or decrease time to chase anaerobic adaptations.

We was referencing weight training when you first mentioned overload. http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-training/475817-wieght-training-cycling-43.html#post3967585. And you was wrong.

Another feather.

fergs said:
What any sensible coach would do. Manipulate Overload. If they can't do 67kph for 200m then start with 67kph for 50m, building to 100m, then 150m till they can do 67kph for 200m.

Manipulate "velocity" Overload?. But how?. That can only take a rider so far?.

fergs said:
The Aussies chased max force overload and they had the highest peak strength, peak power and peak speed. Only thing they didn't have was any success in the racing.

At the 2010 UCI Track Cycling World Championships?.

Chapeau! said:
No it doesn't.

Muscle activation %'s differ from the 2 lifts.

Which was my point, that they were different, glad you concur.

We was referencing weight training when you first mentioned overload. http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-training/475817-wieght-training-cycling-43.html#post3967585. And you was wrong.

Yes, you seem to think that Louie and his crew do light days in the gym. But what does this have to do with cycling.

Manipulate "velocity" Overload?. But how?. That can only take a rider so far?.

Yeah 67kph for 200m:D

At the 2010 UCI Track Cycling World Championships?.

No 2008 Olympics where the Aussie Track Programme lost a lot of Govt funding, sacked the coach and have started rebuilding. Apart from Meares they still have a lot of work to do to get back to the days Hill, Neiwand, Bayley and Kelly.

fergie said:
Which was my point, that they were different, glad you concur.

Right!. But you said the "Evidence says you are wrong", referring to the comment I made about 'muscle activation %'s differing from the 2 lifts'.

Where does the evidence suggest I was wrong?.

fergs said:
Yes, you seem to think that Louie and his crew do light days in the gym. But what does this have to do with cycling.

I seem to think?. Wrong! I know.

We wasn't referencing cycling. We was referring to weight training & you was wrong, AGAIN.

fergs said:
Yeah 67kph for 200m:D

:confused::confused::confused:

Oh, a side-step. Silly me.

fergs said:
No 2008 Olympics where the Aussie Track Programme lost a lot of Govt funding, sacked the coach and have started rebuilding. Apart from Meares they still have a lot of work to do to get back to the days Hill, Neiwand, Bayley and Kelly.

fergs, fergs, wake up.

They took the lion share of the medals at the 2010 Worlds.

Chapeau! said:
:confused::confused::confused:

Oh, a side-step. Silly me.

It's called reverse periodisation. I thought you knew how the Brits trained their sprinters. HTC even use it with Cav. You let me know when you get a sprinter to 10.746 with your methods:cool:

They took the lion share of the medals at the 2010 Worlds.

In the Sprint events 2 Gold and 1 Silver out of 8 events. They must have devalued the Lions Share. Hardly the glory days of Hill, Neiwand, Bayley and Kelly.

fergs, If you happened to have Louie Simmons's knowledge in the world of S&C, do you believe you could get your riders to achieve greater feats?, having that world class knowledge.

Honestly now?.

Chapeau! said:
fergs, If you happened to have Louie Simmons's knowledge in the world of S&C, do you believe you could get your riders to achieve greater feats?, having that world class knowledge.

Honestly now?.

The day I stop learning is the day I give up coaching. I have read a lot of what Louie has written and appreciate the way he has developed a culture of excellence within his gym. Does his methods translate to cycling? Powerlifting is a sport where peak strength is everything, where cycling is a sport of averages. The principles of specficity, overload, individuality and recovery apply to both. Both sports are very easy to quantify so when I did gymnastics I tended to overdo the weight lifting because I could put a number to things rather than a coach's subjective assessment of whether I did or did not perform an element correctly or the number and quality of jumps and leaps I performed.

I can learn a lot from Louie about Powerlifting and Coaching but Cycling, honestly no. Can he ride 10.746 for 200m:p

fergie said:
I can learn a lot from Louie about Powerlifting and Coaching but Cycling, honestly no. Can he ride 10.746 for 200m:p

No!, he doesn't ride.

But you can learn huge amounts how to increase strength more efficiently & make gains more rapidly.

But, what I was suggesting was, the riders you train having the possibility go on to achieve greater feats, by applying that world class knowledge that guys like Louie have?.

Do Countries such as Great Britain, Australia etc have more knowledgeable S&C coaches, & this could be a factor to there success?.

Does your training provide both adequate velocity and force to produce record-breaking times?.

Chapeau! said:
Don't believe you Gman.

Let me get this right. Your consuming the same amount of calories before you took up cycling, now that your cycling, your burning EVEN more calories AND your bodyweight is increasing.

I will have to go & figure that one out. Bull****ter.

LOL, I love this dude. He's like Roadhouse, only Roadhouse realized at the end that he needed serious help.

Ok, let's see how I'm a bull$h1tter.

I get up at 4:30 am, drink 2 coffies, have 0 appetite, plus I gotta fly outta the house, so I don't eat. I might (or might not, depending on the day) have a crappy snack like a cereal bar or whatever is laying around in the 7 of the store's offices that I can grab. By the time I realize I'm hungry, it's usually 1-2 o'clock, and then I have to stop at Subway/Quiznos and shove down a foot-long sub. Then I ususally grab my bike at 2-3 and do my riding. Come home and eat dinner.

The same kind of dinnner I ate before I was cycling. The same kind of lunch I ate before I was cycling. The same kind of breakfast I ate (none) before I was cycling.

I know I need to change my diet to help me get better, but I just don't have time. (now that's a bull$h1t statement :D)

So now that you know my daily life story, coach Chumps, tell me again how I gained that muscle in my legs ?

And again, my body fat % has not changed, and no other body part has gained weight.

Wait, I'm a bull$h1tt3r, so the truth is I grew 3 more inches because of cycling. Now I'm 6'7".

gman0482 said:
LOL, I love this dude. He's like Roadhouse, only Roadhouse realized at the end that he needed serious help.

No Roadhouse is now Road House and over on Slowtwitch, in a PC thread (the only topic that rivals lifting when it comes to belief-based folks arguing with science-based folks), he recently said that, given some time on PCs, he would whup on Dr. Coggan in a 112 mile TT.

Chapeau! said:
No!, he doesn't ride.

Then he probably couldn't teach me anything about cycling. Next time I'm in Grove City I must drop by and try and teach him about Powerlifting. Wonder how that would go down.

But you can learn huge amounts how to increase strength more efficiently & make gains more rapidly.
I already know how to develop strength rapidly. Think I mentioned the rather large increases I got in untrained, trained and well trained clients when I was a personal trainer.

But, what I was suggesting was, the riders you train having the possibility go on to achieve greater feats, by applying that world class knowledge that guys like Louie have?.

I coach three World Class cyclists and they have all improved over last year. I took 10 cyclists to NZ track cycling champs and all did PBs, While I may know bugger all compared to Louie about Squatting, Bench and Deadlift I do know cycling. There is always more to learn and I have pretty good cycling contacts. The training is the easy part, testing the riders is pretty simple. Learning what riders are training for (demands of each particular event) is where the real gains are made.

Do Countries such as Great Britain, Australia etc have more knowledgeable S&C coaches, & this could be a factor to there success?.
I got a strength programme from the Scottish S&C coach and it looks identical to the ones I wrote. I took a look at Bradley Wiggin's training for Athens, showed it to a pursuiter I trained and said: "look familiar".

GBR have good coaches who understand their events. Australia have gone back to good coaches who understand their events and are starting to build back again. Coach driven programmes are always very successful while a few years back it looked like the Aussie programme was a sport science/strength trainer driven programme which ended in tears. But the coaches have to know their event. Shane Sutton and Dave Brailsford were the brains behind the GBR domination in Beijing but look at the clusterfu*k that Team Sky has turned into with the same management group.

Does your training provide both adequate velocity and force to produce record-breaking times?.
Yes.

jollyrogers said:
No Roadhouse is now Road House and over on Slowtwitch, in a PC thread (the only topic that rivals lifting when it comes to belief-based folks arguing with science-based folks), he recently said that, given some time on PCs, he would whup on Dr. Coggan in a 112 mile TT.

Yes, I thought that was rather funny. He back-pedalled pretty fast when I mentioned that Andy was a recent US cycling champion. Suggested Swampy as his proxy. I thought those two were mates bonded by their love of the Gimmickcrank.

Chapps reminds me the scene in Blackadder where the Doc prescribes Leeches for every ailment. Can't sprint, squat more, can't pursuit, squat more, can't time trial, squat more, can't climb, squat more, can't squat, ummmm may have to see Louie Simmons about that. We had a personal trainer at Les Mills, Christchurch who just gave everyone the same programme. Sprinter, Enduro, Fat Loss, Bodybuilder, it didn't matter. He just bullsh1ted the clients into believing that strength was everything and his brand of special protein powder which was just a big tub that he keep in the staff room that got filled once or twice a month with whatever was cheap at the time.

YouTube - Rowan Atkinson: Blackadder 'The Leech Quack'

Chapeau! said:
I will go with your protein intake (which you lied to me about) coupled with your cycling.

So you do admit that cycling can lead to hypertrophy.

"I have seen the light!!!"

:D

Chapeau! said:
Did your evening meals get bigger?
<copy/paste> The same kind of dinnner I ate before I was cycling. The same kind of lunch I ate before I was cycling. The same kind of breakfast I ate (none) before I was cycling.

Chapeau! said:
Are you taking any water retaining supplements such as creatine/glutamine etc?
Yea I take creatine 3x day and shoot myself with Deca before bed time... But that has nothing to do with muscle growth.
Chapeau! said:
So you do eat protein?. Most Subway subs do have masses amount of muscle building protein/meat/fish in them, some of which border on 500-700 calories a pop. Add in the evening meal.
Yes, that $5 foot-long Spicy Italian is my golden ticket to muscle development. I'm thinking about packaging and selling it for $30 at GNC.

Chapeau! said:
It still smells as fishy as alienators breath though with a mouth fit for the sewer. How one could further an increase in calorie expenditure & gain weight.
That fish smell is not alienators breath. But don't kid yourself. You do know where that smell is really coming from.
Chapeau! said:
I will go with your protein intake (which you lied to me about) coupled with your cycling.

Damn... You got me.

fergie said:
But not me. Eating protein is not a stimulus for hypertrophy.

So that leaves < pause for effect > CYCLING!!!

:D:D:D

See Fergie, with a little team work, alot can be done. :D

Now if I can only convice him that Fabian eats Subway too...

Status
Not open for further replies.