wieght training and cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapeau! said:
No! Not that much.

But the study indicates an increase in performance none the less.
Will bare that in mind next time a rider comes to me wanting to train for a test to exhaustion.

If the professional cyclist (non-lifter) saw a 30% increase in strength, the % would be much higher than you think.
So you don't have an idea?

You mean this one?.
What! Cat got your tongue? I didn't ask for a photo of Ms Pendleton's very pert rear end I asked what cycling event was run at a set pace till exhaustion?
Who are you to argue (Until you develop a faster cyclist).
Then you are right out of the ballpark then:D

Chapeau! said:
No, not particular intervals, the whole TT.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh my god. All this time I thought you were actually someone quite clever just having a bit of a laugh, but in fact I think you are actually a complete idiot. The above proves this point marvellously;)

Chapeau! said:
Correct.

But CNS stimulation isn't muscle.

But it is a very specific signal from the CNS to the individual muscle fibre to contract.

When did Lance start lifting weights again with Peter Park?.

How cute, Lance has a celebrity Personal Trainer. Bet he was really glad of all those sessions when Alberto and Andy were tearing him a new ar$ehole in the tour.

The clear evidence of a direct relationship between weight training and cycling performance remains indeed to be seen.

In a winter like we had in the northern hemisphere this past year, I do feel it makes sense by way of crosstraining. Due to the snow it was hard to go out for a run let alone on the road. Even the way to the track by car took twice as long :D
So if you do a good weight sessions preceded and followed by some turbo training it's easy to get in 3-4 hours, which you otherwise never would have done.

But there's more. I think the an exercise like the seated row(or equivalent) really makes me more comfortable climbing standing and sprinting.

People like Joe Friel and other US-based coaches tend to emphasize on weight training alot IMO.

Hey guys - I am considering taking up endurance cycling to stimulate my CNS and other abilities to improve my weight lifting. What do you think?

Alex Simmons said:
Hey guys - I am considering taking up endurance cycling to stimulate my CNS and other abilities to improve my weight lifting. What do you think?
I think you should ride up a steep hill in the 53x11 for 7 hours with lead rims. If it hurts it must be making you stronger

Jono L said:
I think you should ride up a steep hill in the 53x11 for 7 hours with lead rims. If it hurts it must be making you stronger

What you mean getting better is just about working harder.

Naw, it can't be that simple:D

Jono L said:

Won't I melt the rims with my awesome new found strength though?

Alex Simmons said:

Won't I melt the rims with my awesome new found strength though?
No because your elevated level of CNS activation will actually raise the melting point of the steel rims via osmosis and you will begin to produce lift and eventually phone home with ET.
ET.JPG

To those 'doubters' all stuck in the past, here is further proof that lifting weights has a positive return on you're performance
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo283GbGU1g]YouTube - Idiots lifting weights!!..Its Hilarious![/ame]

Another feather in the cap

:D

And how would a skinny weaker cyclist compare to this Adonis below?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f89aubh82f0&feature=related]YouTube - Idiot in Gym[/ame]

That's right, you'd be head over heels too if you knew what some strength gains could do for your performance

Schooling you guys is way to easy... yawn

Talk about increased recruitment and CNS stimulation. This guy is so stimulated, look how quick he gets out of there!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhV5d6hxAu4]YouTube - weightlifting idiot[/ame]

Next...

Earth to Cav. Earth to Cav. You have small legs. You need big CNS stimulated legs to win. Please dispense your "can o' as$whoop" in the garbage and proceed straight to the weightroom.
ss-090726-tour-03.ss_full.jpg

Chapeau! said:
Correct.

But CNS stimulation isn't muscle.

To backup your claim....

When did Lance start lifting weights again with Peter Park?.

When he was getting ready for the chicago marathon...
... an event that he didn't do.

Jono L said:
No because your elevated level of CNS activation will actually raise the melting point of the steel rims via osmosis and you will begin to produce lift and eventually phone home with ET.
Hmmm, well I better work on my aerodynamics then. Lifting for lift. I like it.

fergie said:
I have done a pretty extensive review of Louie's training and the last thing they do is have light training days. The Eastside guys are all steroid users. I see that Bolton set his World's best Deadlift in a federation that does not test. These are all Powerlifters and not really surprising that they train 3 x week. Wonder why:cool:

Westside.

I rest my case with this troll, lol.

Lets get it right for once fergs.

alienator said:
Learn a little bit: besides being energy used per unit time, power is also work done per unit time. Energy and work happen to have the same units. So P=W/t. Work, in terms of pedaling, is the force deliver over a given distance, W=F*s. That means that P=W/t=F*s/t. Lookie there: power defined in terms of force. So, talking about power means a person is also implicitly talking about force.

Now the riddles are out of the way...

Could you please explain to me how Tony Martin develops the ability to turn bigger gears, produce greater forces at higher cadences?.

Remember, hes got some of biggest thighs in the peleton, which can't be developed from cycling alone.

Its not like he has a pair of hydraulic pumps that are hard wired into his CNS?.

Status
Not open for further replies.