Wierd BHIT claim

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the death
    of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-setting
    time trial performance.

    Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.

    Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!

    <url:http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=7837>

    --
    Guy
    ===

  2. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the death
    > of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-setting
    > time trial performance.
    >
    > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    >
    > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!
    >
    > <url:http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=7837>

    My parents live about a mile from there. I don't remember the road surface being especially bad
    through Woolhampton, but a greyhound TT bike can be a bit more flighty than average.

  3. > > BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the
    > > death of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-
    > > setting time trial performance.
    > >
    > > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    > >
    > > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!
    > >
    > > <url:http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=7837>

    71 years old and record setting TT performance? Or are we talking personal best here?

    ---

  4. > > > BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the
    > > > death of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-
    > > > setting time trial performance.
    > > >
    > > > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    > > >
    > > > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!
    > > >
    > > > <url:http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=7837>
    >
    > 71 years old and record setting TT performance? Or are we talking personal
    best
    > here?

    No, just read the article and it was a club record!

    About the inclusion in the action pack - maybe that letter has yielded a (very quick) result?

    ---

  5. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the death
    > of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-setting
    > time trial performance.
    >
    > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    >
    > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!
    >
    > <url:http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=7837>

    That is wierd that they are using it! And isn't this one of the two cases you cite of two elderly
    Reading-based? riders, one wearing a helmet and the other not, who have accidents with pot holes or
    the like, and the one wearing the helmet dies and the other doesn't? Maybe you could invite them to
    include the other case in their action pack too ;-).

    Rich

  6. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Reply to Just zis Guy, you know?
    > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    >
    > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!

    Perhaps they thought he'd have been safer with *two* helmets.

    --
    Mark, UK. Nobody can be lucky all the time; so when your luck deserts you in some fashion don't
    think you've been abandoned in your prime but rather that you're saving up your ration.

  7. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    More likely that BHIT has teamed up with manufacturers of kevlar body armour and will shortly be announcing this, just prior to a launch of a video/ad campaign that shows that cycling is about as safe as naked medieval jousting unless you happen to be wearing "bike armour".

  8. \ Dave

    \ Dave Guest

    > BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the death
    > of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-setting
    > time trial performance.
    >
    > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    >
    > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!
    >
    > <url:http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=7837>
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===
    Facts in the way of a 'good story', Guy?..never, especially when that 'good story' supports 3 kids,
    large house and flash car, eh ;-) Dave.

  9. > just prior to a launch of a video/ad campaign that shows that cycling is about as safe as naked
    > medieval jousting

    Naked medieval jousting... why do I have a mental picture of a late-night TV show on
    Channel Five....

    Cheers, helen s

  10. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    It must be your obsession with lances ;)

  11. >It must be your obsession with lances ;)

    Lance's what? No, he's not my type.

    Russell Crowe, a la 'Gladiator'... I'd play with his lance. Hugh Jackman a la 'Wolverine' ... I'd
    file his claws for him Hmm... in the cycling world... good grief! Is there a really good-looking
    bloke in the world of professional cycling??? Having a well-honed rear is one thing, but it's not
    the only thing ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  12. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Ho Ho :D I'm not sure that cycling is conducive to good looks, as for bloke cycling totty, I'm not really the best person to speak to about that, as I only have eyes for the laydeez ;)

  13. >Ho Ho :D I'm not sure that cycling is conducive to good looks, as for bloke cycling totty, I'm not
    >really the best person to speak to about that, as I only have eyes for the laydeez ;)

    I've just remembered... Chris Newton is rather pretty, and Bradley Wiggins is definitely *not*
    photogenic, but in real-life, he's a nice chap on the old visual cortex. There's got to be
    some more.

    Cheers, helen s

  14. > Is there a really good-looking bloke in the world of professional cycling??? Having a well-honed
    > rear is one thing, but it's not the only thing ;-)

    As long as they're faster than you they only /need/ a good looking rear!

    ---

  15. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the death
    > of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-setting
    > time trial performance.
    >
    > Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    >
    > Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!

    You have to remember that BHIT do not care about details or about facts. I suspect they're fully
    aware that this example is damaging to their case, and are simply relying on the assumption that
    most people won't read beyond the headline. After all they're used to having their phoney statistics
    accepted without question.

    --
    Dave...

  16. Pk

    Pk Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> BeHIT have been putting about an "action pack" which includes a newspaper clipping about the
    >> death of a 71-year-old Reaidng man from head injuries in a crash on the way home from a record-
    >> setting time trial performance.
    >>
    >> Nothing new there, BeHIT like a nice bit of shroud-waving.
    >>
    >> Only thing is, he was wearing a helmet!
    >
    > You have to remember that BHIT do not care about details or about facts. I suspect they're fully
    > aware that this example is damaging to their case, and are simply relying on the assumption that
    > most people won't read beyond the headline. After all they're used to having their phoney
    > statistics accepted without question.

    It isn't damaging to their case at all. Only the paranoid anti compulsionists would see it as that.

    It can eqaully be read: Look, even an expert cyclist can have an accident that kills him, even
    wearing a helmet. How daft is it for less expereinced cyclists to fail to protect themselves! But
    remember helmets aren't perfect! Be careful out there!

    I always smile at guy's term liddites. The luddites aimed to prevent beneficial progress. Speaking
    so vociferously so often against a safety device, it is Guy who is the liddite.

    pk

    pk

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    PK wrote:

    > I always smile at guy's term liddites. The luddites aimed to prevent beneficial progress. Speaking
    > so vociferously so often against a safety device, it is Guy who is the liddite.

    Guy doesn't speak against a safety device, he speaks against compulsion to use them against the
    background of such compulsion having clear negative effects where it has been tried and no clear
    benefits. So your analogy ain't up to very much.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:41:19 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "PK"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Speaking so vociferously so often against a safety device, it is Guy who is the liddite.

    You assert that cycle helmets are a safety device.

    However, this has yet to be proven. At best, the figures demonstrate that such things are
    ineffective.

  19. PK wrote:

    > Speaking so vociferously so often against a safety device, it is Guy who is the liddite.

    You, sir, are a troll and I claim my £5.

  20. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On 03 Mar 2004 11:44:40 GMT, [email protected]
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Russell Crowe, a la 'Gladiator'

    'cept in the paper daybeforeyesterday it done said that gladiators were all fat vegetarians with
    no sandals.

    --
    Guy
    ===