Wierd question about Time Trialing Tactic

McTwistie

Mar 28, 2004
I am not quite sure how to phrase this, so please forgive me if I jump around a bit. I have noticed in my rides over the last 6 months, that though my average comfortable speed is about 32 km/hr, after an intense sprint or climbing effort - and then a quick recovery, it seems my comfortable average climbs up to 35/36 km/hr. Is this normal?? Is that why in races, everyone takes off like rockets ??

Just wondering....

Cheers

McTwistie said:
I am not quite sure how to phrase this, so please forgive me if I jump around a bit. I have noticed in my rides over the last 6 months, that though my average comfortable speed is about 32 km/hr, after an intense sprint or climbing effort - and then a quick recovery, it seems my comfortable average climbs up to 35/36 km/hr. Is this normal?? Is that why in races, everyone takes off like rockets ??

Just wondering....

Cheers

psychological? perhaps after the tough work on the hill your mind is readier to accept that the riding is going to be really tough and carries this through to the flat sections.

The level of intensity you did for the climb/sprint has your muscles "thinking" at a certain speed, so once you get your breath back on the flat part, your body is more comfortable pushing a little harder.

At least that's my theory ......... ;)

Daremo said:
The level of intensity you did for the climb/sprint has your muscles "thinking" at a certain speed, so once you get your breath back on the flat part, your body is more comfortable pushing a little harder.

At least that's my theory ......... ;)

I noticed this too! I train on my F/S Mountain bike and after doing a warm up of 2-3 miles at full speed after getting to the meeting place early I was ready to start the normal training with the boys and I was hauling the whole time and I even finished ahead of everyone else after the big sprint at the finish for the first time ever. Weirdest thing eh?!