Wiggins a contender ?

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
Hi, the british Track ace Bradley Wiggins is riding nicely at the Dauphine, he has the yellow jersey, kept it today on a mountain top finish and has more than a minute on Evans and Vinoukourov for example,

can he become again a contender at the tour, next month ?

Paul Sherwin will think so but I personally don't think he will be.

His ride in the TDF suggests that he can be a contender but his form until this years Dauphine has not reached his previous TDF level.

The Dauphine is a 7 day race. Can Wiggo maintain a level of form for a 3 week race this year?

Possible podium contender, but I think a solid top ten performance is more likely. If there was more time trialing I would be more apt to pick him for the podium. Anything can happen though, and other than AC I havn't been too impressed by the other pre race favorites, but that doesn't mean they won't show up in July.

Wiggo can get a top 5 spot. Brailsford and Co (Team SKY) seem to have a bit more clue this time around as to what to expect and how to prepare for things and if it's one thing that Brailsford is great at is preparation - he did a mighty fine job with British Cycling and the track squad and he'll continue his good work with SKY. It's not just can Wiggo do it, it's also alot to do with how well can his team live upto the task too...

The advantage that Contador has this time around is that he's already shown epic form and that he has a very solid team around him. Having a DS that has a clue this year, unlike last year, he'll prove to be pretty much unbeatable.

Schleck Jr hasn't really done much and was shelled out the back in no uncertain terms by Radio Shack domestiques in California not too long ago. His form looks better now but honestly, who is he racing against? It's all relative. Lots of talk about Frank and Andy giving Contador a run for his money but it'll all come to nothing at end of the first mountain stage with a hilltop finish and Contador hits the afterburners.

Stage 12 to Luz Ardiden will probably be THE stage to define the Tour and Stage 14 will likely solidify that. Contador has won on the Plateau de Beille before and while he might not win the stage I don't expect any of the other favorites to have the legs to challenge him. The time trial in Grenoble comes right after the two big alpine stages and having two big mountain top finishes up the Galibier and Alpe Dhuez respectively will likely not help Wiggo's TT cause against the likes of Contador or Evans - that's if Evans hasn't self imoliated and started to threaten to rip peoples throat out if they go near his little rat dog.

... but I can't help but think how much harder the stage that finishes up the Galibier would be if they'd just taken the right turn about 5km out of Briancon and finished up the Granon instead. Someone having a bad end to the day could limit their losses fairly well on the not too steep slopes of the Lautaret before the final push to the summit of the Galibier but there's no such niceties with the Granon. It's like the Alpe, you start the climb and it starts steep and doesn't let up - execpt it's steeper and longer than the Alpe and the road surface ain't the best either.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Wiggo can get a top 5 spot. Brailsford and Co (Team SKY) seem to have a bit more clue this time around as to what to expect and how to prepare for things and if it's one thing that Brailsford is great at is preparation - he did a mighty fine job with British Cycling and the track squad and he'll continue his good work with SKY. It's not just can Wiggo do it, it's also alot to do with how well can his team live upto the task too...
This is the key point in my humble.

Contador and the Schlecks have pretty solid teams around them for the TDF.
SKY is a weaker team on paper than either Saxo and Trek.

Wiggins will have to ride really well and his team will also have to ride strongly if he is to podium.
Over a three week tour it is a big ask to get it together while also out performing the other two.
It's not impossible of course but it is a lot to ask.

Maybe, this is a signal to Wiggins that this Tour is his last chance, before change in team conception.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-reported-to-be-joining-team-sky-for-2012

I have been watching all season and as swampy said apart from AC none of the other names have performed brilliantly, Wiggins was good in the dauphine but to keep that and take it to the tour is another thing altogether. I would love it if he won a few stages or even finished top 10 but to win would be bloody fantastic. Its about time a british guy started kicking the rest of the world around and showing them how its done.
COME ON WIGGINS sort it out son!

I do think the best he could possibly hope for is 3rd but not sure he quite has the climbing ability to manage that.
However at the odds of 33-1 for a podium that Carlton Kirby kept banging on about he would have to be worth a punt!

Originally Posted by Mattcreed .

I do think the best he could possibly hope for is 3rd but not sure he quite has the climbing ability to manage that.
However at the odds of 33-1 for a podium that Carlton Kirby kept banging on about he would have to be worth a punt!
They're very good odds actually.

I reckon Carlton likes to take a punt or two!

Top 5 at best for wiggins I think. The top two will likely be Contador and Schleck, the next 8 in the top 10 could be anyone of 20-30 riders, there's always suprises