WIGGLE don't haggle (about refunds)

TJ

Guest
Bought a 700 x 35c Vittoria Randonneur Cross from www.wiggle.co.uk.

The inside circumference was so short to the point of damaging the rim
fitting it with steel levers. Pinched tubes etc, No way to risk this
performance if you get a flat while commuting.
I emailed Wiggle customer service.

They took it back for an immediate full refund and postage.

Their prices are great. And customer service like this proves they
stand behind what they sell. Which in this day and age of busted out
banks and guarantees not worth the paper they're written on is
something.

Paul Boyd

Guest
On 03/03/2008 20:58, TJ said,

> I emailed Wiggle customer service.
> They took it back for an immediate full refund and postage.

That is one thing Wiggle are very good at. I've also had one or two
problems that they sorted with no quibbling and no hassle, in one case
updating their website with correct info within hours.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Trevor A Panther

Guest
"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]m...
> Bought a 700 x 35c Vittoria Randonneur Cross from www.wiggle.co.uk.
>
> The inside circumference was so short to the point of damaging the rim
> fitting it with steel levers. Pinched tubes etc, No way to risk this
> performance if you get a flat while commuting.
> I emailed Wiggle customer service.
>
> They took it back for an immediate full refund and postage.
>
> Their prices are great. And customer service like this proves they
> stand behind what they sell. Which in this day and age of busted out
> banks and guarantees not worth the paper they're written on is
> something.

There has been quite a lot of "anti wiggle" cant on here over the last year.

I have bought from them for 4 years on a regular basis and I have had nothing
but excellent and very helpful service from them , both from their sales team
and delivery methods -- and I have always used their free delivery system
without a single problem!
--

And I can check all the buys I have made from then over the years as well.

other on line sales organisations are nowhere near as reliable or as permanent
to my liking

BTW Wiggle don't pay me to say this!
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Tom Crispin

Guest
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:38:32 GMT, "Trevor A Panther"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]m...
>> Bought a 700 x 35c Vittoria Randonneur Cross from www.wiggle.co.uk.
>>
>> The inside circumference was so short to the point of damaging the rim
>> fitting it with steel levers. Pinched tubes etc, No way to risk this
>> performance if you get a flat while commuting.
>> I emailed Wiggle customer service.
>>
>> They took it back for an immediate full refund and postage.
>>
>> Their prices are great. And customer service like this proves they
>> stand behind what they sell. Which in this day and age of busted out
>> banks and guarantees not worth the paper they're written on is
>> something.

>There has been quite a lot of "anti wiggle" cant on here over the last year.
>
>I have bought from them for 4 years on a regular basis and I have had nothing
>but excellent and very helpful service from them , both from their sales team
>and delivery methods -- and I have always used their free delivery system
>without a single problem!

I'm another fan of Wiggle. No complaints, except their inclusion of
wine gums seems particularly random.

Trevor A Panther

Guest
"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:38:32 GMT, "Trevor A Panther"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]m...
>>> Bought a 700 x 35c Vittoria Randonneur Cross from www.wiggle.co.uk.
>>>
>>> The inside circumference was so short to the point of damaging the rim
>>> fitting it with steel levers. Pinched tubes etc, No way to risk this
>>> performance if you get a flat while commuting.
>>> I emailed Wiggle customer service.
>>>
>>> They took it back for an immediate full refund and postage.
>>>
>>> Their prices are great. And customer service like this proves they
>>> stand behind what they sell. Which in this day and age of busted out
>>> banks and guarantees not worth the paper they're written on is
>>> something.

>>There has been quite a lot of "anti wiggle" cant on here over the last year.
>>
>>I have bought from them for 4 years on a regular basis and I have had
>>nothing
>>but excellent and very helpful service from them , both from their sales
>>team
>>and delivery methods -- and I have always used their free delivery system
>>without a single problem!

> I'm another fan of Wiggle. No complaints, except their inclusion of
> wine gums seems particularly random.

oh yes I have missed out on the wine gums sometimes! Must be when profit
margins are lower!

Must remember to file a complaint next time

--
Trevor A Panther

Tim Dunne

Guest
TJ wrote:

> Their prices are great.

No, they're not.

As it happens, just been looking to order SRAM PC991 chain and Shimano 760
rear mech.

SRAM PC991 chain:

Wiggle: £26.99 Chain Reaction: £19.99

Dearoe XT 760 rapid rise rear mech:

Wiggle: £31.99 Chain Reaction: £29.99

I've used both a lot, but these days prefer Chain Reaction. Chain reaction
do free first class delivery without the automatic £3 'priority service'
cobblers, and have been quite happy in the past to accept returns, in one
case for a faulty product and in a second where I was a muppet and ordered
completely erroneously. Chain Reaction have been cheaper in almost every
case when I've come to order online.

Just my 2p.

Tim
Sent from Birmingham, UK... all about me at www.nervouscyclist.org
'Now some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I
cannot disagree - but I never learned nothing by playing it safe - I
say fate should not tempt me.' - Mary Chapin Carpenter

Pete Biggs

Guest
Tim Dunne wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>
>> Their prices are great.

> No, they're not.

Not for everything, but for a lot of accessories and some components their
prices cannot be beaten. They also have a 5 to 10% discount scheme for
regular customers.

Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but they do
not stock everything that Wiggle does.

~PB

Paul Boyd

Guest
Pete Biggs said the following on 04/03/2008 06:08:

> Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but they do
> not stock everything that Wiggle does.

I always check both when looking for something, tossing up the fact that
I get a personal discount with Wiggle (did I really spend that much in
the last xx months???) and the fact that I may or may not be able to get
whatever it is to my house easily.

I'm not anti-wiggle, but I am vehemently anti-CityLink, so that has to
be a factor in who I choose to use as well. If wiggle would offer
alternative shipping options so I could choose to avoid CityLink, even
if it cost a bit more, that would be great.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

POHB

Guest
On 4 Mar, 08:03, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pete Biggs said the following on 04/03/2008 06:08:
>
> > Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but they do
> > not stock everything that Wiggle does.

> I always check both when looking for something, tossing up the fact that
> I get a personal discount with Wiggle (did I really spend that much in
> the last xx months???) and the fact that I may or may not be able to get
> whatever it is to my house easily.
> I'm not anti-wiggle, but I am vehemently anti-CityLink, so that has to
> be a factor in who I choose to use as well.  If wiggle would offer
> alternative shipping options so I could choose to avoid CityLink, even
> if it cost a bit more, that would be great.

Yeah if it isn't fairly certain someone will be in to receive the
delivery it does put me off Wiggle somewhat. Apart from the CityLink
problem I've had nothing but good service from both. For price
comparisons this can be handy http://bikepimp.co.uk/

PoB

Guest
"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]
| I'm another fan of Wiggle. No complaints, except their inclusion of
| wine gums seems particularly random.

A quick "me too" here - I've used wiggle a lot, and have never had a
hassle - although I can get deliveries at my work, which makes things
easier...

I've never had any wine gums though (or a bottle opener...)

I have to say though, that I have no loyalty, and will order from whoever
offers the best deal when I need a particular doodad....

pOB

Paul Boyd

Guest
Someone must have been reading something - I just had a £5 discount code
emailed to me by wiggle!

Let's see now, I really could do with an in-line seatpost for my MTB,
and I can get that home on my bike :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tim Dunne

Guest
Pete Biggs wrote:

> Not for everything, but for a lot of accessories and some components
> their prices cannot be beaten. They also have a 5 to 10% discount
> scheme for regular customers.

Hmmm, nothing I've really ordered (apart from Kool-Stop salmons) wasn't
available at either store, TBH, and I can't think of an instance when Wiggle
weren't dearest. The occasions I've used them have mainly been for the fact
that they've got stock and Chainreaction have not.

> Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but
> they do not stock everything that Wiggle does.

That's true, but I still favour CR. I'm put off by the idea that as a
irregular customer I'm paying for Wiggle's more frequent buyers; surely
they'd do btter to stuff the discount thing and lower prices for everyone?

Tim

Sent from Birmingham, UK... all about me at www.nervouscyclist.org

Tim Dunne wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> Not for everything, but for a lot of accessories and some components
>> their prices cannot be beaten. They also have a 5 to 10% discount
>> scheme for regular customers.

> Hmmm, nothing I've really ordered (apart from Kool-Stop salmons)
> wasn't available at either store, TBH, and I can't think of an
> instance when Wiggle weren't dearest. The occasions I've used them
> have mainly been for the fact that they've got stock and
> Chainreaction have not.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of items at Wiggle that CR do not
stock. *You* may not be interested in them, but obviously a large number of
people are.

>> Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but
>> they do not stock everything that Wiggle does.

> That's true, but I still favour CR. I'm put off by the idea that as a
> irregular customer I'm paying for Wiggle's more frequent buyers;
> surely they'd do btter to stuff the discount thing and lower prices
> for everyone?

The frequent buyers are the ones effectively paying for the discounts.
Wiggle seem to be doing very well from the repeat custom.

~PB

Tim Dunne

Guest
Pete Biggs wrote:

> There are hundreds, if not thousands, of items at Wiggle that CR do
> not stock. *You* may not be interested in them, but obviously a
> large number of people are.

Oh, right. If you don't mind me saying, you seem a little defensive over
this? Wiggle doesn't work for me, that doeasn't quite make me the man who
found 'Punch' funny. I spent about £800 with CR last year, assiduously
comparing prices because I like to shop around - mainly for highly unusual
stuff like tyres, wheels, clothes and components for my faithful tourer.

> The frequent buyers are the ones effectively paying for the discounts.
> Wiggle seem to be doing very well from the repeat custom.

Ah, I see. So, if I were to pay the prices asked at Wiggle for the items I
ordered yesterday, because I'm an infrequent buyer, I'm asking to be milked?
So, if I buy more overpriced stuff, in some kind of Faustian pact, I'll get
some of the overprice back for being loyal... how charming. The fact that
the price will be reduced to about what CR are charging is just so
unfortunate...

Wiggle strike me as being one of those operations who made their name by
being cheap with excellent service, who, now trading on their reputation,
have slipped up the prices - a bit like Dabs. They should be careful not to
loose custom to other operations who're offering equal service levels at
better prices.

Tim
Sent from Birmingham, UK... all about me at www.nervouscyclist.org

Tim Dunne wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> There are hundreds, if not thousands, of items at Wiggle that CR do
>> not stock. *You* may not be interested in them, but obviously a
>> large number of people are.

> Oh, right.

Yes right!

> If you don't mind me saying, you seem a little defensive
> over this?

I am defensive over any good supplier.

You are *attacking* Wiggle - for no good reason that I can see. They are
free to charge what they want and you are free to shop where you want. I
also get defensive when it seems to be implied that I am an idiot for doing
what I do. I use Wiggle for good service AND to save money.

> Wiggle doesn't work for me, that doeasn't quite make me
> the man who found 'Punch' funny. I spent about £800 with CR last
> year, assiduously comparing prices because I like to shop around -
> mainly for highly unusual stuff like tyres, wheels, clothes and
> components for my faithful tourer.

I never use Wiggle in preference to CR when I can get what I want from CR
cheaper, yet I spend more at Wiggle per year than I do at CR. You would do
exactly the same if you happened to like more of the same products as I do.

I like to shop around too, and Wiggle and CR are only two of the many online
dealers I have dealt with. I lost count of the number of different
suppliers I used to source all the parts and accessories I bought for the
last bike I built. I did not buy the bulk of the stuff from Wiggle, but
also I did not buy more from CR than Wiggle.

>> The frequent buyers are the ones effectively paying for the
>> discounts. Wiggle seem to be doing very well from the repeat custom.

> Ah, I see. So, if I were to pay the prices asked at Wiggle for the
> items I ordered yesterday, because I'm an infrequent buyer, I'm
> asking to be milked?

Infrequent buyers (with no discount) can still find many good deals at
Wiggle - that match or beat anyone else's when the free post option is taken
into account. Personally I find them most useful for small accessories and
widgets, as well as the ocasional larger component. I could list specific
examples but I've spent enough time on this message already.

> So, if I buy more overpriced stuff, in some kind
> of Faustian pact, I'll get some of the overprice back for being
> loyal... how charming. The fact that the price will be reduced to
> about what CR are charging is just so unfortunate...

You don't have to buy the overpriced stuff ever. Your reward for buying
stuff that matches or beats other prices is eventually a 5 or 10% discount.
You get 5% if you have spent £100 in the last year. That's quite a modest
total to get a helpful discount.

> Wiggle strike me as being one of those operations who made their name
> by being cheap with excellent service, who, now trading on their
> reputation, have slipped up the prices - a bit like Dabs. They should
> be careful not to loose custom to other operations who're offering
> equal service levels at better prices.

On the whole I have not noticed Wiggle's prices going up by more than
inflation. They have always been, and still are, good for many things; they
have always been expensive for some other things - that I have never
bothered ordering from them.

~PB

Ian Smith

Guest
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Pete Biggs <> wrote:

(of wiggles prices)

> Not for everything, but for a lot of accessories and some
> components their prices cannot be beaten. They also have a 5 to
> 10% discount scheme for regular customers.
>
> Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but
> they do not stock everything that Wiggle does.

Which is an interesting assertion, because last night I wanted some
Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres and some Velox rim tape.

Wiggle: list only the 1.75 tyre, but it's out of stock, and the choice
of tape is wide or narrow (but it doesn't specify how wide or how
narrow).

Chain Reaction: list a 1.3, 1.75 and 2.0 tyre with the 1.75 and 2.0 in
stock, and list four specified widths of tape, with some widths also
in cheaper multi-packs.

Chain reaction were cheaper for the tyres (even if they had been in
stock and you bought two to qualify for wiggles 5 quid off). Wiggle
were 1p cheaper for the rim tape individually, but 24p per roll more
expensive compared to Chain Reaction's four-pack.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Pete Biggs

Guest
Ian Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Pete Biggs <> wrote:
>
> (of wiggles prices)
>>
>> Not for everything, but for a lot of accessories and some
>> components their prices cannot be beaten. They also have a 5 to
>> 10% discount scheme for regular customers.
>>
>> Chain Reaction are also excellent, and cheaper for some items, but
>> they do not stock everything that Wiggle does.

> Which is an interesting assertion

To clarify, my assertion is this:

When CR has what you want, they are often the cheapest.

When CR does not have what you want, and Wiggle does, for a lot of
accessories and some components Wiggle's prices often match or beat the
competition's when free post is taken into account.

~PB

Trevor A Panther

Guest
"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
> [...]

>> about what CR are charging is just so unfortunate...

> You don't have to buy the overpriced stuff ever. Your reward for buying
> stuff that matches or beats other prices is eventually a 5 or 10% discount.
> You get 5% if you have spent £100 in the last year. That's quite a modest
> total to get a helpful discount.
>
>> Wiggle strike me as being one of those operations who made their name
>> by being cheap with excellent service, who, now trading on their
>> reputation, have slipped up the prices - a bit like Dabs. They should
>> be careful not to loose custom to other operations who're offering
>> equal service levels at better prices.

> On the whole I have not noticed Wiggle's prices going up by more than
> inflation. They have always been, and still are, good for many things; they
> have always been expensive for some other things - that I have never

Well responded Pete!

You voiced my opinions of Tim Dunne posts almost exactly so I cancelled the
long post I was making.

He does seem to be carrying a huge chip about his person!

I presume that he doesn't go to supermarkets and buy the 2 for 1 offers or
ever accept similar promotions.

In all dealing with any traders one has to look around and price compare -- if
you are sensible. I certainly buy cycle gear from different suppliers --
especially when "sale time" is on.

But I have never been let down by Wiggle , never had my credit card copied by
a hidden Wiggle thief and above all I have been able to ask for advice about a
product when I have not been sure.

When I buy from Wiggle I am saying to them that I am happy with their price
and with their service -- and I will always have done a troll around the
online shops to price compare

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Mark

Guest
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:58:41 -0800 (PST), TJ <[email protected]> wrote:

>Their prices are great. And customer service like this proves they
>stand behind what they sell. Which in this day and age of busted out
>banks and guarantees not worth the paper they're written on is
>something.

Only problem with Wiggle is that they are almost impossible to
contact. They have no published telephone number that I can find and
they have never replied to any emails.

I use usually use chainreactioncycles as they are very helpful.

M.

Pete Biggs

Guest
Mark wrote:

> Only problem with Wiggle is that they are almost impossible to
> contact. They have no published telephone number that I can find and
> they have never replied to any emails.

They have replied to emails of mine. Their automated system is so good that
there is a rarely a need to email or phone anyway.

~PB