WikiFAQ Questions

[Not Responding]

Guest
Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.

1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
on the FAQ.

2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
bit more about cycling and urc.

3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

4. How do I add pictures?

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:59 +0100,
[Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
> and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.

Not speaking for Simon but ...

> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
> on the FAQ.

If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.
Certainly if you don't use your real name on this newsgroup then using
your real name on the Wiki isn't going to be that helpful.

> 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
> the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
> bit more about cycling and urc.

Presumably the wiki is only to get the faq finalised - when it is
all agreed it will be published elsewhere in a fixed form.

> 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

That is how page links are designated in the original wiki (which JSPwiki
was based on).

> 4. How do I add pictures?

Well it is possible to add pictures but first if this FAQ is eventually
to be posted to the newsgroup it probably is best if there is no pictures.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

in message <[email protected]>, [Not
Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
> and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.
>
> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
> on the FAQ.

Fair enough; go ahead. I just wanted to know who is working on it. But
as I only know you as 'Not Responding' if you actually used your real
name it wouldn't help me at all.

> 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
> the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
> bit more about cycling and urc.

Yup, you can go in and change any page. It isn't mine, it's the groups.

> 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

That's how the WIKI software identifies them as titles/links. Actually,
in this version of WIKI, you can mark something as a link by enclosing
it in back-quotes thus `A link with spaces`, but otherwise it will
recognise any WordWithEmbeddedCaps as a link/title.

> 4. How do I add pictures?

Frankly I've no idea!

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

On 18 Sep 2004 12:57:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:59 +0100,
> [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much

> > 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
> > here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
> > on the FAQ.

> If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.

This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
unique?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

In news:[email protected],
Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:
> On 18 Sep 2004 12:57:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:59 +0100,
>> [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much

>>> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
>>> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our
>>> IDs on the FAQ.

>> If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.

> This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
> unique?

And?

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:
> > On 18 Sep 2004 12:57:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.

> > This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
> > unique?

> And?

And it isn't.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 19/9/04 7:32 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In news:[email protected],
>> Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:

>>> This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
>>> unique?

>> And?

> And it isn't.

Neither are peoples real names. I can think of at least four namesakes of
mine, one whom is/was a tory MP, another a labour MEP. One was a dangerous
criminal for whom someone else was shot by mistake, and the fourth works in
the same field as me but a different University.. caused a bit of confusion
when we both turned up to the same meeting.. Then there is a fifth who not
only had the same name but was born in the same hospital within a day of me.

My name is commoner than mud..

...d

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

>when we both turned up to the same meeting.. Then there is a fifth who not
>only had the same name but was born in the same hospital within a day of me.

Are you sure you are you and not that other child...?

Roos

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 19/9/04 7:32 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
> Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In news:[email protected],
> >> Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:

> >> And?

> > And it isn't.

> Neither are peoples real names.

That's what I just said - "This implies that you think that most
people's nom-de-reallife is unique ... and it isn't". To which you
replied "Neither are peoples real names".

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 19/9/04 8:10 pm, in article [email protected],
"Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> when we both turned up to the same meeting.. Then there is a fifth who not
>> only had the same name but was born in the same hospital within a day of me.

> Are you sure you are you and not that other child...?

I am definitely me. Whether my parents are who they think they are...

...d

On 19/9/04 8:22 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 19/9/04 7:32 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
>> Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> And it isn't.

>> Neither are peoples real names.

> That's what I just said - "This implies that you think that most
> people's nom-de-reallife is unique ... and it isn't". To which you
> replied "Neither are peoples real names".

And ?

OK, so I'm guilty of reading wihtout comprehending but what the heck, this
is usenet after all..;-)

...d

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>in message <[email protected]>, [Not
>Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
>> and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.
>>
>> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
>> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
>> on the FAQ.

>Fair enough; go ahead. I just wanted to know who is working on it. But
>as I only know you as 'Not Responding' if you actually used your real
>name it wouldn't help me at all.
>
>> 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
>> the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
>> bit more about cycling and urc.

>Yup, you can go in and change any page. It isn't mine, it's the groups.
>
>> 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

>That's how the WIKI software identifies them as titles/links. Actually,
>in this version of WIKI, you can mark something as a link by enclosing
>it in back-quotes thus `A link with spaces`, but otherwise it will
>recognise any WordWithEmbeddedCaps as a link/title.
>
>> 4. How do I add pictures?

>Frankly I've no idea!

The wiki's I run need any picture to be local, iirc.

So it would involve emailing the photo to Simon, I'd guess.

--
Cheers,
Euan

in message <[email protected]>, Gawnsoft
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
> wrote (more or less):
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, [Not
>>Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
>>> and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.
>>>
>>> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
>>> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our
>>> IDs on the FAQ.

>>Fair enough; go ahead. I just wanted to know who is working on it. But
>>as I only know you as 'Not Responding' if you actually used your real
>>name it wouldn't help me at all.
>>
>>> 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
>>> the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and
>>> a bit more about cycling and urc.

>>Yup, you can go in and change any page. It isn't mine, it's the
>>groups.
>>
>>> 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

>>That's how the WIKI software identifies them as titles/links.
>>Actually, in this version of WIKI, you can mark something as a link by
>>enclosing it in back-quotes thus `A link with spaces`, but otherwise
>>it will recognise any WordWithEmbeddedCaps as a link/title.
>>
>>> 4. How do I add pictures?

>>Frankly I've no idea!

> The wiki's I run need any picture to be local, iirc.
>
> So it would involve emailing the photo to Simon, I'd guess.

That's not a problem in itself. However, if we wish the FAQ to become
usable as a text document, it may be undesirable.

The second thing is, do we want it at all? Since I put it up last week
two other members of the group have been in and contributed stuff; each
has made a relatively small change. My experience of doing this sort of
thing in the past is that there's a flurry of initial participation and
then it settles down at a lower level. We've had no such flurry here so
I'm really having to ask myself whether this is actually useful.

Use it or lose it!

;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The second thing is, do we want it at all? Since I put it up last week
>two other members of the group have been in and contributed stuff; each
>has made a relatively small change. My experience of doing this sort of
>thing in the past is that there's a flurry of initial participation and
>then it settles down at a lower level. We've had no such flurry here so
>I'm really having to ask myself whether this is actually useful.
>
>Use it or lose it!

No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:

Q: Is there a URC FAQ?

A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

in message <[email protected]>, [Not
Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>The second thing is, do we want it at all? Since I put it up last week
>>two other members of the group have been in and contributed stuff;
>>each has made a relatively small change.
>>
>>Use it or lose it!

> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
>
> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
>
> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

OK, I've now added two more articles,
<URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
and
<URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>

I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
(seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
you, which is annoying.

A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>>Use it or lose it!

>> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
>> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
>>
>> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
>>
>> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

>OK, I've now added two more articles,
><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
>and
><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
>
>I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
>effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
>editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
>(seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
>you, which is annoying.

I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
for it to vanish when I pressed save:(

If any half finished entries appear it's because of the lack of a
sacve-as-draft button.

in message <[email protected]>, [Not
Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
>>> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
>>>
>>> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
>>>
>>> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

>>OK, I've now added two more articles,
>><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
>>and
>><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
>>
>>I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a
>>solo effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If
>>you are editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times
>>out (seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't
>>let you, which is annoying.

> I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
> for it to vanish when I pressed save:(
>
> If any half finished entries appear it's because of the lack of a
> sacve-as-draft button.

That's OK.

My solution has been to draft the test in a text editor (if on Windows,
try Notepad or Wordpad) and copy and paste the completed text into the
Wiki.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

On 21/9/04 6:48 am, in article [email protected],
"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
>>> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
>>>
>>> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
>>>
>>> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

>> OK, I've now added two more articles,
>> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
>> and
>> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
>>
>> I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
>> effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
>> editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
>> (seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
>> you, which is annoying.

> I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
> for it to vanish when I pressed save:(
>
> If any half finished entries appear it's because of the lack of a
> sacve-as-draft button.

Just save as you go. A bit of a faff but otherwise OK.

...d

On 21/9/04 9:48 am, in article BD75A96A.21109%[email protected],
"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 21/9/04 6:48 am, in article [email protected],
> "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> OK, I've now added two more articles,
>>> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
>>> and
>>> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>

I've modified the bit on steel quite extensively. I was chatting to my dad
about brazing two frames together and he pointed me in the direction of some
very good articles from biketech on the metallurgy of steels. Hi-ten is not
a bad material to make bike frames from. It is not a good one to make light
bike frames from.

...d

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> writes:

> >> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
> >> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
> >>
> >> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
> >>
> >> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

> >OK, I've now added two more articles,
> ><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
> >and
> ><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
> >
> >I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
> >effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
> >editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
> >(seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
> >you, which is annoying.

> I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
> for it to vanish when I pressed save:(

If you're not using IE, then the back button will probably save you
there. IE still has this issue, though.