WikiFAQ Questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [Not Responding], Sep 18, 2004.

  1. Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
    and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.

    1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
    on the FAQ.

    2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
    the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
    bit more about cycling and urc.

    3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

    4. How do I add pictures?

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:59 +0100,
    [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
    > and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.

    Not speaking for Simon but ...

    > 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    > here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
    > on the FAQ.

    If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.
    Certainly if you don't use your real name on this newsgroup then using
    your real name on the Wiki isn't going to be that helpful.

    > 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
    > the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
    > bit more about cycling and urc.

    Presumably the wiki is only to get the faq finalised - when it is
    all agreed it will be published elsewhere in a fixed form.

    > 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

    That is how page links are designated in the original wiki (which JSPwiki
    was based on).

    > 4. How do I add pictures?

    Well it is possible to add pictures but first if this FAQ is eventually
    to be posted to the newsgroup it probably is best if there is no pictures.

    --
    Andy Leighton => [email protected]
    - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, [Not
    Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
    > and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.
    >
    > 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    > here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
    > on the FAQ.

    Fair enough; go ahead. I just wanted to know who is working on it. But
    as I only know you as 'Not Responding' if you actually used your real
    name it wouldn't help me at all.

    > 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
    > the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
    > bit more about cycling and urc.

    Yup, you can go in and change any page. It isn't mine, it's the groups.

    > 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

    That's how the WIKI software identifies them as titles/links. Actually,
    in this version of WIKI, you can mark something as a link by enclosing
    it in back-quotes thus `A link with spaces`, but otherwise it will
    recognise any WordWithEmbeddedCaps as a link/title.

    > 4. How do I add pictures?

    Frankly I've no idea!

    -- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

  4. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 18 Sep 2004 12:57:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:59 +0100,
    > [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much

    > > 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    > > here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
    > > on the FAQ.

    > If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.

    This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
    unique?

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  5. In news:[email protected],
    Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:
    > On 18 Sep 2004 12:57:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:11:59 +0100,
    >> [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much

    >>> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    >>> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our
    >>> IDs on the FAQ.

    >> If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.

    > This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
    > unique?

    And?

  6. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In news:[email protected],
    > Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:
    > > On 18 Sep 2004 12:57:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:

    > >> If you have a unique nom de net then I guess that could be OK.

    > > This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
    > > unique?

    > And?

    And it isn't.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 19/9/04 7:32 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
    Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In news:[email protected],
    >> Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:

    >>> This implies that you think that most people's nom-de-reallife is
    >>> unique?

    >> And?

    > And it isn't.

    Neither are peoples real names. I can think of at least four namesakes of
    mine, one whom is/was a tory MP, another a labour MEP. One was a dangerous
    criminal for whom someone else was shot by mistake, and the fourth works in
    the same field as me but a different University.. caused a bit of confusion
    when we both turned up to the same meeting.. Then there is a fifth who not
    only had the same name but was born in the same hospital within a day of me.

    My name is commoner than mud..

    ...d

  8. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

    >when we both turned up to the same meeting.. Then there is a fifth who not
    >only had the same name but was born in the same hospital within a day of me.

    Are you sure you are you and not that other child...?

    Roos

  9. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 19/9/04 7:32 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
    > Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> In news:[email protected],
    > >> Ian Smith <[email protected]> typed:

    > >> And?

    > > And it isn't.

    > Neither are peoples real names.

    That's what I just said - "This implies that you think that most
    people's nom-de-reallife is unique ... and it isn't". To which you
    replied "Neither are peoples real names".

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 19/9/04 8:10 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > David Martin <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> when we both turned up to the same meeting.. Then there is a fifth who not
    >> only had the same name but was born in the same hospital within a day of me.

    > Are you sure you are you and not that other child...?

    I am definitely me. Whether my parents are who they think they are...

    ...d

  11. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 19/9/04 8:22 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
    Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On 19/9/04 7:32 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
    >> Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> And it isn't.

    >> Neither are peoples real names.

    > That's what I just said - "This implies that you think that most
    > people's nom-de-reallife is unique ... and it isn't". To which you
    > replied "Neither are peoples real names".

    And ?

    OK, so I'm guilty of reading wihtout comprehending but what the heck, this
    is usenet after all..;-)

    ...d

  12. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote (more or less):

    >in message <[email protected]>, [Not
    >Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
    >> and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.
    >>
    >> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    >> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our IDs
    >> on the FAQ.

    >Fair enough; go ahead. I just wanted to know who is working on it. But
    >as I only know you as 'Not Responding' if you actually used your real
    >name it wouldn't help me at all.
    >
    >> 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
    >> the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and a
    >> bit more about cycling and urc.

    >Yup, you can go in and change any page. It isn't mine, it's the groups.
    >
    >> 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

    >That's how the WIKI software identifies them as titles/links. Actually,
    >in this version of WIKI, you can mark something as a link by enclosing
    >it in back-quotes thus `A link with spaces`, but otherwise it will
    >recognise any WordWithEmbeddedCaps as a link/title.
    >
    >> 4. How do I add pictures?

    >Frankly I've no idea!

    The wiki's I run need any picture to be local, iirc.

    So it would involve emailing the photo to Simon, I'd guess.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Gawnsoft
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    > wrote (more or less):
    >
    >>in message <[email protected]>, [Not
    >>Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >>> Apart from occasional dips into wikipedia, I've not used Wikis much
    >>> and I have few Qs about Simon's implementation of the FAQ.
    >>>
    >>> 1. Why do you want us to use real names for ID? A lot of us operate
    >>> here under a nom de net and it would be appropriate if we kept our
    >>> IDs on the FAQ.

    >>Fair enough; go ahead. I just wanted to know who is working on it. But
    >>as I only know you as 'Not Responding' if you actually used your real
    >>name it wouldn't help me at all.
    >>
    >>> 2. Can I just go in and change any old page? In particular, I think
    >>> the front page needs a clear out of all the wiki specific stuff and
    >>> a bit more about cycling and urc.

    >>Yup, you can go in and change any page. It isn't mine, it's the
    >>groups.
    >>
    >>> 3. Is there a reason for the lack of spaces in titles?

    >>That's how the WIKI software identifies them as titles/links.
    >>Actually, in this version of WIKI, you can mark something as a link by
    >>enclosing it in back-quotes thus `A link with spaces`, but otherwise
    >>it will recognise any WordWithEmbeddedCaps as a link/title.
    >>
    >>> 4. How do I add pictures?

    >>Frankly I've no idea!

    > The wiki's I run need any picture to be local, iirc.
    >
    > So it would involve emailing the photo to Simon, I'd guess.

    That's not a problem in itself. However, if we wish the FAQ to become
    usable as a text document, it may be undesirable.

    The second thing is, do we want it at all? Since I put it up last week
    two other members of the group have been in and contributed stuff; each
    has made a relatively small change. My experience of doing this sort of
    thing in the past is that there's a flurry of initial participation and
    then it settles down at a lower level. We've had no such flurry here so
    I'm really having to ask myself whether this is actually useful.

    Use it or lose it!

    ;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
    ;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
    ;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003

  14. On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The second thing is, do we want it at all? Since I put it up last week
    >two other members of the group have been in and contributed stuff; each
    >has made a relatively small change. My experience of doing this sort of
    >thing in the past is that there's a flurry of initial participation and
    >then it settles down at a lower level. We've had no such flurry here so
    >I'm really having to ask myself whether this is actually useful.
    >
    >Use it or lose it!

    No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
    having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:

    Q: Is there a URC FAQ?

    A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, [Not
    Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The second thing is, do we want it at all? Since I put it up last week
    >>two other members of the group have been in and contributed stuff;
    >>each has made a relatively small change.
    >>
    >>Use it or lose it!

    > No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
    > having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
    >
    > Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
    >
    > A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

    OK, I've now added two more articles,
    <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
    and
    <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>

    I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
    effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
    editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
    (seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
    you, which is annoying.

    A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

  16. On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>>Use it or lose it!

    >> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
    >> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
    >>
    >> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
    >>
    >> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

    >OK, I've now added two more articles,
    ><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
    >and
    ><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
    >
    >I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
    >effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
    >editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
    >(seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
    >you, which is annoying.

    I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
    for it to vanish when I pressed save:(

    If any half finished entries appear it's because of the lack of a
    sacve-as-draft button.

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, [Not
    Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
    >>> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
    >>>
    >>> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
    >>>
    >>> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

    >>OK, I've now added two more articles,
    >><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
    >>and
    >><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
    >>
    >>I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a
    >>solo effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If
    >>you are editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times
    >>out (seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't
    >>let you, which is annoying.

    > I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
    > for it to vanish when I pressed save:(
    >
    > If any half finished entries appear it's because of the lack of a
    > sacve-as-draft button.

    That's OK.

    My solution has been to draft the test in a text editor (if on Windows,
    try Notepad or Wordpad) and copy and paste the completed text into the
    Wiki.

    See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

  18. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 21/9/04 6:48 am, in article [email protected],
    "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
    >>> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
    >>>
    >>> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
    >>>
    >>> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

    >> OK, I've now added two more articles,
    >> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
    >> and
    >> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
    >>
    >> I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
    >> effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
    >> editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
    >> (seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
    >> you, which is annoying.

    > I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
    > for it to vanish when I pressed save:(
    >
    > If any half finished entries appear it's because of the lack of a
    > sacve-as-draft button.

    Just save as you go. A bit of a faff but otherwise OK.

    ...d

  19. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 21/9/04 9:48 am, in article BD75A96A.21109%[email protected],
    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 21/9/04 6:48 am, in article [email protected],
    > "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> OK, I've now added two more articles,
    >>> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
    >>> and
    >>> <URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>

    I've modified the bit on steel quite extensively. I was chatting to my dad
    about brazing two frames together and he pointed me in the direction of some
    very good articles from biketech on the metallurgy of steels. Hi-ten is not
    a bad material to make bike frames from. It is not a good one to make light
    bike frames from.

    ...d

  20. "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> writes:

    > >> No, keep it up for a while (ie until Christmas). If it's not worth
    > >> having by then bin it and the FAQ can then be issued as:
    > >>
    > >> Q: Is there a URC FAQ?
    > >>
    > >> A: No. We couldn't be arsed.

    > >OK, I've now added two more articles,
    > ><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?SaddleChoice>
    > >and
    > ><URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?GoodCheap>
    > >
    > >I now intend to leave it alone, because this isn't supposed to be a solo
    > >effort. Please feel free to get in there and edit anything. If you are
    > >editing save your work regularly because if your cookie times out
    > >(seems to be about half an hour from when you last saved) it won't let
    > >you, which is annoying.

    > I know. I spent an evening writing the entry for utility cycling only
    > for it to vanish when I pressed save:(

    If you're not using IE, then the back button will probably save you
    there. IE still has this issue, though.