WILD animals spotted on my rides

HowardSteele

Mar 7, 2006
Ok! so I’m in Africa ,well the tip of it anyway and on every ride up the mountain i get to see some wildlife, Birds include EAGLES,HAWKS CROWS AND FALCONS, of the mammals the baboons are probably the biggest and most common but I’ve seen large porcupines ,the little deer are shy and difficult to spot but now and again I’ll see one. Snakes are always a surprise and on more than one occasion i.e. seen cobras over 2 meters long, other snakes seen are Puffadders and molesnakes.The common grass snake we get here is forever crossing the paths so seen regurlly.Oh! every now and then the river crabs join us on the cycling paths.

Recently i was chatting to a cyclist and he boasted,seeing elephant, giraff, buck and lion on his daily ride. Turns out he is a Game warden who lives on a National game park, Lukky blighter.

You'd better be faster than the lions or jaguars -- or else carry a gun!

I do my trail riding on snowmobile trails which are not used in the summer time. Last year several miles from anywhere, boogying down a hill i sotted something just over th top of the next hill. I turned around, went back up the hill and peeked over the next hill. there was a black bear soaking up rays in the middle of the trail. had i not stopped i would have run into him.

Wow, nice animal sightings. I was in Cape Town earlier this year, I sure enjoyed my stay, and the wine :) I would love to return, on my terms, and see some more of Cape Town and the surrounding area.

I live in British Columbia, Canada, in the past few years, while riding, I have seen Big Horned Sheep, Black Bears, Roosevelt Elks, thousands of deer, Bald Eagles, Great Blue Herons, and Killer Whales. I see the Bald Eagles, Deer, and Herons almost daily, just depends on the route.

The most amazing animals I've ever seen were some mountain goats in Alabama. I was biking on Monte Sano Mountain and at first I thought they were some kinda display set up by the park service, but they ran down a cliff when I approached them. It's the first time I've ever seen a real ram. It was kind of funny though because I didn't know that Alabama had mountain goats. Also, they all seemed to be a mixture of wild and domestic goats because their coats were blotched with different colors.

On my rides to work I sometimes see Mule Deer. Its kinda funny...they stand on the side of the road (being in town they are not scared of to many things) and watch as I pass...only once have they been actually crossing. Good thing too...because I live on top of a hill (see them as I'm going down) at about 30 mph...would HATE to know what its like to hit one!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Also, there is a National Park that has Buffalo here. There are all kinds of roads and trails that go through it. My Dad and I went on a 16 mile loop through the park. It was actually kind of scary driving next to the Buffalo. They are so used of seeing cars (and the stupids that get out) that they will come up to cars...or cross in front and back up the traffic forever!!! BUT...they don't see to many bikes (I don't think anyway) and do they ever start moving when you come by them!!! We also had to pass by one of the "feeding areas"...that was a little alarming!!! All in all though...I liked the loop, and would do it again!!! ;)

You guys are lucky, the only animal I occasionally encounter is the sly bark-less night dog!

Startled an armadillo rooting around in the grass just off the road on the commute in this morning. :D

I was riding a bike trail in Georgia and had a hawk come down and just cruise along with me. He just stayed a little more than arms (wings) reach, and stayed for about a half mile. Cool.
Other than that, just the typical fur bearing critters and snakes.

Saw a deer a few weeks ago, and last week came around a corner and found myself 6 feet from one. I'm gald he didn't see me coming... no way of knowing which way it would have run:eek:

I live in the uk,so the most threatening animals I ever see whilst out riding are the occasional bolshy bunny:D

Er, yeah, I've seen bunnies too. That's about the most exciting thing.

I live in the wild kingdom. Lots of squirrels, deer, rabbits,racoons. An occassional bear on my ride, being on the border on a national park.
The only baboons I encounter are in cars and sometimes I see a slick looking fox in a convertible.
Sometimes a jackass in an SUV or pick-up.

hillibillybiker said:
I live in the uk,so the most threatening animals I ever see whilst out riding are the occasional bolshy bunny:D
yeah, we dont have any dangerous wild animals in the UK....but i have seen Harriers, buzzard, Golden Eagles, orpreys, red deer...etc...

i got stung in the eyelid by a wasp a few months back....thats the most dangerous here...:D

Yesterday I saw a Dodge Ram - 2500, I think - and a Chevy Impala. A Pontiac Firebird passed me doing about 100 mph.

But seriously, I used to live right next to a wintering elk herd, and when the roads dried out I'd ride by them all the time.

Now I live near an elk ranch that's on my route. But it's not the same... elk all penned up.

MountainPro said:
yeah, we dont have any dangerous wild animals in the UK....but i have seen Harriers, buzzard, Golden Eagles, orpreys, red deer...etc...

i got stung in the eyelid by a wasp a few months back....thats the most dangerous here...:D

What about the Hounds Of The Baskervilles? Are they not wild?

I see deer all the time on my usual ride. I was mtbing yesterday and I passed right by three baby deer, it was pretty cool. I also see the occasional rabbit, and plenty of squirrels.

jhuskey said:
What about the Hounds Of The Baskervilles? Are they not wild?
The Hound of the Baskerville's....hmmm, didn't Holmes shoot it dead?

Mind you, there is Nessie..The Loch Ness Monster.

nessie.gif

and haggis...

haggis2.jpg