Wild camping around Great Broughton

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris Naylor, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Hi1

    Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni (been
    too long without a decent walk!) - as oposed to my earlier reply to another
    post about the Hadrians Wall (places to stay are easier to find on the CW!).
    Anyways, using a combination of campsites, camping barns and YHA places I
    have managed to find somewhere to stay (on the cheap - remember student!) on
    al but one of the days. There is a campsite that I could use at Great
    Broughton, but I don't really want to be leaving the CW that much to have to
    return as far the next day just to find a site to camp. So the question is -
    can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way around
    halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I have
    been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
    life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in google!

    Any suggestions greatly welcomed, if none then I suppose I will just have to
    set off and find somewhere arounf halfway on an adhoc basis!

    Cheers
    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply

    "I was looking for a seed that would get it over the hump."

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:09 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    >around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
    >life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in google!

    It wouldn't surprise me if camping's not allowed there, but who's to
    know? I haven't camped there but there's what looks like an ideal
    flat spot on the eastern side, near here:
    http://www.smartboysonline.co.uk/Karin-on-Boulder-A-web.jpg

    --
    Stop ID cards and the Database State
    http://www.no2id.net/

  3. GeoffC

    GeoffC Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:09 -0000, "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi1
    > So the question is -
    >can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way around
    >halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I have
    >been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    >around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
    >life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in google!

    On our CW trip we pitched on Cold Moor, which is a short way West of Wain Stones and out of view of
    civilisation. Any high ground around there is fine as far as we remember.

    http://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0528/T0528.htm

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

  4. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    >around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
    >life in me can't remember who it was

    The Houghton Weavers and the Spinners, among others.

  5. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    GeoffC <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:09 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Hi1
    >> So the question is -
    >> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland
    >> way around halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som
    >> point, when I have been browsing the google archives I have seen
    >> someone mention wildcamping around the wain stones (which seems
    >> about an ideal mid point) - just for the life in me can't remember
    >> who it was neother can I find it again in google!
    >>

    > On our CW trip we pitched on Cold Moor, which is a short way West of
    > Wain Stones and out of view of civilisation. Any high ground around
    > there is fine as far as we remember.
    >
    > http://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0528/T0528.htm
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > -- GeoffC

    Cheers for that info - certainly looks a decent spot from the map - will
    have to check it out on the arial photo from memory map when I get back
    home.

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    FACT: Over 98 percent of rivers have NO ACCESS for the public. Access
    along rivers is a canoeist's lifeblood. Canoes leave no trace of
    passing, no noise or pollution and have little or no lasting impact on
    wildlife and the water environment. All rivers and waterways should be
    open to the public in the same way in which we are free to use
    footpaths and highways as public rights of way. -
    http://www.riversaccess.org

  6. "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi1
    >
    > Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni
    > (been
    > too long without a decent walk!) - as oposed to my earlier reply to
    > another
    > post about the Hadrians Wall (places to stay are easier to find on the
    > CW!).
    > Anyways, using a combination of campsites, camping barns and YHA places I
    > have managed to find somewhere to stay (on the cheap - remember student!)
    > on
    > al but one of the days. There is a campsite that I could use at Great
    > Broughton, but I don't really want to be leaving the CW that much to have
    > return as far the next day just to find a site to camp. So the question
    > is -
    > can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way
    > around
    > halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I
    > have
    > been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    > around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for
    > the
    > life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in
    > google!
    >
    > Any suggestions greatly welcomed, if none then I suppose I will just have
    > set off and find somewhere arounf halfway on an adhoc basis!
    >
    > Cheers
    > --
    > Chris Naylor
    > Cut the nonsense to reply
    > http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net
    >
    > "I was looking for a seed that would get it over the hump."

    The problem at the Wainstones is the lack of water. If you go about 1mile
    further east (around 568 036) there's a really good spring that I used to
    use regularly when I lived down there. That's where I'd be aiming to pitch.
    Can't remember now what the ground was like for pitching though.

  7. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:49:42 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> >I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    >> >around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just
    >> >for the
    >> >life in me can't remember who it was

    >> The Houghton Weavers and the Spinners, among others.

    >All together now:
    >
    >"I've been up on Snowden, I've slept out at Crowden,
    >I've camped by the Wain Stones as well;"
    >
    >Whoops, wrong Wain Stones. :)
    ><with apologies to Ewan McColl>

    Wrong ones? Does the song mean some other place?

  8. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > >> The Houghton Weavers and the Spinners, among others.

    > >All together now:
    > >
    > >"I've been up on Snowden, I've slept out at Crowden,
    > >I've camped by the Wain Stones as well;"
    > >
    > >Whoops, wrong Wain Stones. :)
    > ><with apologies to Ewan McColl>

    > Wrong ones? Does the song mean some other place?

    Wain Stones on Bleaklow. The present discussion appears to be about the
    Wainstones on the North York Moors which aren't marked on the 1". Bill
    Cowley did however mention them in his guide to the Lyke Wake Walk.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 17 summits
    New - 11 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 10)

  9. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:46:29 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

    >> >All together now:
    >> >
    >> >"I've been up on Snowden, I've slept out at Crowden,
    >> >I've camped by the Wain Stones as well;"
    >> >
    >> >Whoops, wrong Wain Stones. :)
    >> ><with apologies to Ewan McColl>

    >> Wrong ones? Does the song mean some other place?

    >Wain Stones on Bleaklow. The present discussion appears to be about the
    >Wainstones on the North York Moors which aren't marked on the 1". Bill
    >Cowley did however mention them in his guide to the Lyke Wake Walk.

    You're right - I didn't read closely enough.

  10. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    bob watkinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Hi1
    >>
    >> Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni
    >> (been
    >> too long without a decent walk!) - as oposed to my earlier reply to
    >> another
    >> post about the Hadrians Wall (places to stay are easier to find on
    >> the CW!).
    >> Anyways, using a combination of campsites, camping barns and YHA
    >> places I have managed to find somewhere to stay (on the cheap -
    >> remember student!) on
    >> al but one of the days. There is a campsite that I could use at Great
    >> Broughton, but I don't really want to be leaving the CW that much to
    >> have to
    >> return as far the next day just to find a site to camp. So the
    >> question is -
    >> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way
    >> around
    >> halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when
    >> I have
    >> been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention
    >> wildcamping around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid
    >> point) - just for the
    >> life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in
    >> google!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions greatly welcomed, if none then I suppose I will just
    >> have to
    >> set off and find somewhere arounf halfway on an adhoc basis!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> --
    >> Chris Naylor
    >> Cut the nonsense to reply
    >> http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net
    >>
    >> "I was looking for a seed that would get it over the hump."
    >>

    > The problem at the Wainstones is the lack of water. If you go about
    > 1mile further east (around 568 036) there's a really good spring that
    > I used to use regularly when I lived down there. That's where I'd be
    > aiming to pitch. Can't remember now what the ground was like for
    > pitching though.

    Looks like another good one to consider - cheers - hadn't noticed that
    spring when I was looking at the maps earlier!

    Gives me another spot to look at when i am on the ground - cheers.

    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    Don't kiss an elephant on the lips today.

  11. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi1
    >
    > Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni

    (been
    > too long without a decent walk!) -

    So the question is -
    > can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way

    around
    > halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I

    have
    > been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
    > around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point)

    It could be me you're thinking of. I camped in a nice soft grassy field just
    below the west end of the Wainstones about 2+1/2 years ago. NZ 555 034 is
    roughly the spot but it is a crossroads for paths.

    As others have said, there is no water point there so you need to carry it
    in. As I ran out the next morning when cooking breakfast I had to 'struggle'
    to the Lord Stones Cafe on Carlton Bank for a water top-up. And a nice hot
    chocolate drink. And a bacon roll...

    My key walking plan for this year is to finish the other half of the CW from
    Roseberry Topping to Scarborough.

    Nick

  12. Chris Naylor

    Chris Naylor Guest

    Nick Pedley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Hi1
    >>
    >> Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from
    >> Uni (been too long without a decent walk!) -

    > So the question is -
    >> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland
    >> way around halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som
    >> point, when I have been browsing the google archives I have seen
    >> someone mention wildcamping around the wain stones (which seems
    >> about an ideal mid point)

    > It could be me you're thinking of. I camped in a nice soft grassy
    > field just below the west end of the Wainstones about 2+1/2 years
    > ago. NZ 555 034 is roughly the spot but it is a crossroads for paths.
    >
    > As others have said, there is no water point there so you need to
    > carry it in. As I ran out the next morning when cooking breakfast I
    > had to 'struggle' to the Lord Stones Cafe on Carlton Bank for a water
    > top-up. And a nice hot chocolate drink. And a bacon roll...
    >
    > My key walking plan for this year is to finish the other half of the
    > CW from Roseberry Topping to Scarborough.
    >
    > Nick

    Quite possibly was you that I was thinking of! Thanks for the spot - gives
    me another one to look at when there!

    On the water front, there seems to be an abundance of springs around the
    previous few miles of the path that I was thinking of using. Also one of the
    Geocahes that I plan to visit is within a few hundred yards of about 3 or 4
    springs marked on the map - and thats only just over a mile from the wain
    stones themselves.

    Chers for the info
    --
    Chris Naylor
    Cut the nonsense to reply
    http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

    Gossip is when you hear something you like about someone you don't.