Wild camping around Great Broughton

Chris Naylor

Guest
Hi1

Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni (been
too long without a decent walk!) - as oposed to my earlier reply to another
post about the Hadrians Wall (places to stay are easier to find on the CW!).
Anyways, using a combination of campsites, camping barns and YHA places I
have managed to find somewhere to stay (on the cheap - remember student!) on
al but one of the days. There is a campsite that I could use at Great
Broughton, but I don't really want to be leaving the CW that much to have to
return as far the next day just to find a site to camp. So the question is -
can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way around
halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I have
been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in google!

Any suggestions greatly welcomed, if none then I suppose I will just have to
set off and find somewhere arounf halfway on an adhoc basis!

Cheers
--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply

"I was looking for a seed that would get it over the hump."

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:09 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have seen someone mention wildcamping
>around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
>life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in google!

It wouldn't surprise me if camping's not allowed there, but who's to
know? I haven't camped there but there's what looks like an ideal
flat spot on the eastern side, near here:
http://www.smartboysonline.co.uk/Karin-on-Boulder-A-web.jpg

--
Stop ID cards and the Database State
http://www.no2id.net/

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:09 -0000, "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi1
> So the question is -
>can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way around
>halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I have
>been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
>around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
>life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in google!

On our CW trip we pitched on Cold Moor, which is a short way West of Wain Stones and out of view of
civilisation. Any high ground around there is fine as far as we remember.

http://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0528/T0528.htm

Regards

-- GeoffC

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have seen someone mention wildcamping
>around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for the
>life in me can't remember who it was

The Houghton Weavers and the Spinners, among others.

GeoffC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:26:09 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Hi1
>> So the question is -
>> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland
>> way around halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som
>> point, when I have been browsing the google archives I have seen
>> someone mention wildcamping around the wain stones (which seems
>> about an ideal mid point) - just for the life in me can't remember
>> who it was neother can I find it again in google!
>>

> On our CW trip we pitched on Cold Moor, which is a short way West of
> Wain Stones and out of view of civilisation. Any high ground around
> there is fine as far as we remember.
>
> http://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0528/T0528.htm
>
> Regards
>
> -- GeoffC

Cheers for that info - certainly looks a decent spot from the map - will
have to check it out on the arial photo from memory map when I get back
home.

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

FACT: Over 98 percent of rivers have NO ACCESS for the public. Access
along rivers is a canoeist's lifeblood. Canoes leave no trace of
passing, no noise or pollution and have little or no lasting impact on
wildlife and the water environment. All rivers and waterways should be
open to the public in the same way in which we are free to use
footpaths and highways as public rights of way. -
http://www.riversaccess.org

"Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi1
>
> Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni
> (been
> too long without a decent walk!) - as oposed to my earlier reply to
> another
> post about the Hadrians Wall (places to stay are easier to find on the
> CW!).
> Anyways, using a combination of campsites, camping barns and YHA places I
> have managed to find somewhere to stay (on the cheap - remember student!)
> on
> al but one of the days. There is a campsite that I could use at Great
> Broughton, but I don't really want to be leaving the CW that much to have
> return as far the next day just to find a site to camp. So the question
> is -
> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way
> around
> halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I
> have
> been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
> around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just for
> the
> life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in
> google!
>
> Any suggestions greatly welcomed, if none then I suppose I will just have
> set off and find somewhere arounf halfway on an adhoc basis!
>
> Cheers
> --
> Chris Naylor
> Cut the nonsense to reply
> http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net
>
> "I was looking for a seed that would get it over the hump."

The problem at the Wainstones is the lack of water. If you go about 1mile
further east (around 568 036) there's a really good spring that I used to
use regularly when I lived down there. That's where I'd be aiming to pitch.
Can't remember now what the ground was like for pitching though.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:49:42 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The message <[email protected]>
>from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> >I have seen someone mention wildcamping
>> >around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point) - just
>> >for the
>> >life in me can't remember who it was

>> The Houghton Weavers and the Spinners, among others.

>All together now:
>
>"I've been up on Snowden, I've slept out at Crowden,
>I've camped by the Wain Stones as well;"
>
>Whoops, wrong Wain Stones. :)
><with apologies to Ewan McColl>

Wrong ones? Does the song mean some other place?

The message <[email protected]>
from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

> >> The Houghton Weavers and the Spinners, among others.

> >All together now:
> >
> >"I've been up on Snowden, I've slept out at Crowden,
> >I've camped by the Wain Stones as well;"
> >
> >Whoops, wrong Wain Stones. :)
> ><with apologies to Ewan McColl>

> Wrong ones? Does the song mean some other place?

Wain Stones on Bleaklow. The present discussion appears to be about the
Wainstones on the North York Moors which aren't marked on the 1". Bill
Cowley did however mention them in his guide to the Lyke Wake Walk.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 17 summits
New - 11 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 10)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:46:29 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The message <[email protected]>
>from Rooney <[email protected]> contains these words:

>> >All together now:
>> >
>> >"I've been up on Snowden, I've slept out at Crowden,
>> >I've camped by the Wain Stones as well;"
>> >
>> >Whoops, wrong Wain Stones. :)
>> ><with apologies to Ewan McColl>

>> Wrong ones? Does the song mean some other place?

>Wain Stones on Bleaklow. The present discussion appears to be about the
>Wainstones on the North York Moors which aren't marked on the 1". Bill
>Cowley did however mention them in his guide to the Lyke Wake Walk.

You're right - I didn't read closely enough.

bob watkinson <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hi1
>>
>> Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni
>> (been
>> too long without a decent walk!) - as oposed to my earlier reply to
>> another
>> post about the Hadrians Wall (places to stay are easier to find on
>> the CW!).
>> Anyways, using a combination of campsites, camping barns and YHA
>> places I have managed to find somewhere to stay (on the cheap -
>> remember student!) on
>> al but one of the days. There is a campsite that I could use at Great
>> Broughton, but I don't really want to be leaving the CW that much to
>> have to
>> return as far the next day just to find a site to camp. So the
>> question is -
>> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way
>> around
>> halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when
>> I have
>> been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention
>> wildcamping around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid
>> point) - just for the
>> life in me can't remember who it was neother can I find it again in
>> google!
>>
>> Any suggestions greatly welcomed, if none then I suppose I will just
>> have to
>> set off and find somewhere arounf halfway on an adhoc basis!
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Chris Naylor
>> Cut the nonsense to reply
>> http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net
>>
>> "I was looking for a seed that would get it over the hump."
>>

> The problem at the Wainstones is the lack of water. If you go about
> 1mile further east (around 568 036) there's a really good spring that
> I used to use regularly when I lived down there. That's where I'd be
> aiming to pitch. Can't remember now what the ground was like for
> pitching though.

Looks like another good one to consider - cheers - hadn't noticed that
spring when I was looking at the maps earlier!

Gives me another spot to look at when i am on the ground - cheers.

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

Don't kiss an elephant on the lips today.

"Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi1
>
> Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from Uni

(been
> too long without a decent walk!) -

So the question is -
> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland way

around
> halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som point, when I

have
> been browsing the google archives I have seen someone mention wildcamping
> around the wain stones (which seems about an ideal mid point)

It could be me you're thinking of. I camped in a nice soft grassy field just
below the west end of the Wainstones about 2+1/2 years ago. NZ 555 034 is
roughly the spot but it is a crossroads for paths.

As others have said, there is no water point there so you need to carry it
in. As I ran out the next morning when cooking breakfast I had to 'struggle'
to the Lord Stones Cafe on Carlton Bank for a water top-up. And a nice hot
chocolate drink. And a bacon roll...

My key walking plan for this year is to finish the other half of the CW from
Roseberry Topping to Scarborough.

Nick

Nick Pedley <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Chris Naylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hi1
>>
>> Looking at walking the Cleveland Way during the easter break from
>> Uni (been too long without a decent walk!) -

> So the question is -
>> can anyone recommend a decent place to camp wild on the cleveland
>> way around halfway between Osmotherley and Kildale? I'm sure at som
>> point, when I have been browsing the google archives I have seen
>> someone mention wildcamping around the wain stones (which seems
>> about an ideal mid point)

> It could be me you're thinking of. I camped in a nice soft grassy
> field just below the west end of the Wainstones about 2+1/2 years
> ago. NZ 555 034 is roughly the spot but it is a crossroads for paths.
>
> As others have said, there is no water point there so you need to
> carry it in. As I ran out the next morning when cooking breakfast I
> had to 'struggle' to the Lord Stones Cafe on Carlton Bank for a water
> top-up. And a nice hot chocolate drink. And a bacon roll...
>
> My key walking plan for this year is to finish the other half of the
> CW from Roseberry Topping to Scarborough.
>
> Nick

Quite possibly was you that I was thinking of! Thanks for the spot - gives
me another one to look at when there!

On the water front, there seems to be an abundance of springs around the
previous few miles of the path that I was thinking of using. Also one of the
Geocahes that I plan to visit is within a few hundred yards of about 3 or 4
springs marked on the map - and thats only just over a mile from the wain
stones themselves.

Chers for the info
--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

Gossip is when you hear something you like about someone you don't.