Wild (Stealth) Camping in France

stokell

Jan 20, 2005
I'm planning my tour of the North Sea Route and I hope to start my trip in Boulogne-sur-Mer and head north through Belgium and Netherlands.

I normally stealth camp at night, in that I camp in a wooded area that is not marked with a trespass sign, is unimproved, unfenced, away from housing and out of sight.

I understand that this is called 'camping sauvage' in France. I also understand that it may be frowned upon by the authorities. The question is; along the North Sea Route are there areas that might be suitable? What is the general attitude in France towards people who stealth camp?

Hello,
I am French and live near Paris. I do not know what the law says about your camping, but being familiar with French attitude and suspiscions, I'd be darn careful if I were you. I feel certain the police would have something to say, and the ambient danger from seedy folks wandering around would bother me personally. It's a tough question to answer.

stokell said:
I'm planning my tour of the North Sea Route and I hope to start my trip in Boulogne-sur-Mer and head north through Belgium and Netherlands.

I normally stealth camp at night, in that I camp in a wooded area that is not marked with a trespass sign, is unimproved, unfenced, away from housing and out of sight.

I understand that this is called 'camping sauvage' in France. I also understand that it may be frowned upon by the authorities. The question is; along the North Sea Route are there areas that might be suitable? What is the general attitude in France towards people who stealth camp?

I have only wild camped through scandinavia where it is legal. In other countries I would just ask a farmer if he minded wether I set my camp up in one of his fields. I was told yes in all but one case and the next place was even friendlier when they were told what had happened.
A bit of courtesy goes a long way and I was often asked to join them for a coffee or breafast/dinner etc.

Cheers

Geoff

Just so you know, there is no actual law of trespass in France. If you are not damaging anything/bothering anyone, then simply being on someone's land is not an offence. Having said that, France is so well-served with Camping Municipals, and they are SO cheap, that it's really not worth the bother unless you're desperate to avoid all human company and/or expense. Don't know about Belgium etc though, although I think if I was at Boulogne and had a choice of north or south I'd head south every time... :)

Eastway82 said:
although I think if I was at Boulogne and had a choice of north or south I'd head south every time... :)
I'll be there in April/May of 2007. Do you think I'd be wiser to start in Den Helder and head south that time of year? I would prefer the wind at my back (or side).