Wild Wales challenge ride - 29th August

Iain Jones

Guest
My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

"Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
> horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

I did the challenge in 2001 & 2002 and found it not to bad, you'll be tired
but proud of what you accomplished. Just make sure you eat and drink plenty
of carbs prior and during the challenge. The most important thing to
remember is to go at your own pace, it's not a race, and enjoy it! You don't
mention what type of bike you will be riding but I'd advise one with a
triple chainset as the ride is usually very hilly. Some people do it on
racing machines with a double and do get over the hills but just take a look
at their faces when doing it and you'll see why I recommended a 'triple'.

Best of luck,

John

"Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
> horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

I also forgot to say put in some hilly ride prior to the event of around 50
miles and you should be fine.

John

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in

> "Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form.
>> Any horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

> I did the challenge in 2001 & 2002 and found it not to bad, you'll be
> tired but proud of what you accomplished. Just make sure you eat and
> drink plenty of carbs prior and during the challenge. The most
> important thing to remember is to go at your own pace, it's not a
> race, and enjoy it! You don't mention what type of bike you will be
> riding but I'd advise one with a triple chainset as the ride is
> usually very hilly. Some people do it on racing machines with a double
> and do get over the hills but just take a look at their faces when
> doing it and you'll see why I recommended a 'triple'.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> John

I've got a Giant OCR4, with a triple (lowest is 30x28). All my rides so far
have been solo but I've heard that riding in a group can add some oomph so
I can hope!

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
> > horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

Wild Wales this year ends by going up the Bwlch the hard way. - take your
walking shoes !!!!!

Regards
Simon
Macclesfield Wheelers - winners of Wild Wales for as long as anyone can
remember :)