Wild Wales challenge ride - 29th August

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Iain Jones, May 18, 2004.

  1. Iain Jones

    Iain Jones Guest

    My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
    horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

    Tags:

  2. John

    John Guest

    "Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
    > horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

    I did the challenge in 2001 & 2002 and found it not to bad, you'll be tired
    but proud of what you accomplished. Just make sure you eat and drink plenty
    of carbs prior and during the challenge. The most important thing to
    remember is to go at your own pace, it's not a race, and enjoy it! You don't
    mention what type of bike you will be riding but I'd advise one with a
    triple chainset as the ride is usually very hilly. Some people do it on
    racing machines with a double and do get over the hills but just take a look
    at their faces when doing it and you'll see why I recommended a 'triple'.

    Best of luck,

    John

  3. John

    John Guest

    "Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
    > horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

    I also forgot to say put in some hilly ride prior to the event of around 50
    miles and you should be fine.

    John

  4. Iain Jones

    Iain Jones Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form.
    >> Any horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

    > I did the challenge in 2001 & 2002 and found it not to bad, you'll be
    > tired but proud of what you accomplished. Just make sure you eat and
    > drink plenty of carbs prior and during the challenge. The most
    > important thing to remember is to go at your own pace, it's not a
    > race, and enjoy it! You don't mention what type of bike you will be
    > riding but I'd advise one with a triple chainset as the ride is
    > usually very hilly. Some people do it on racing machines with a double
    > and do get over the hills but just take a look at their faces when
    > doing it and you'll see why I recommended a 'triple'.
    >
    > Best of luck,
    >
    > John

    I've got a Giant OCR4, with a triple (lowest is 30x28). All my rides so far
    have been solo but I've heard that riding in a group can add some oomph so
    I can hope!

  5. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Iain Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > My brother's just talked me into printing off an application form. Any
    > > horror stories/tales of heroism to report of?

    Wild Wales this year ends by going up the Bwlch the hard way. - take your
    walking shoes !!!!!

    Regards
    Simon
    Macclesfield Wheelers - winners of Wild Wales for as long as anyone can
    remember :)