Wilier Imperiale

Dean Thomas

Jun 16, 2007
I'm currently riding a $500 alu frame with carbon rear and carbon forks, with a mixture of components. I do all my racing and training on this bike and have done so to great effect up till now. I can't bring myself to spend big dollars on racing tires and light components only to wear them out while training, but the other day I borrowed some fast wheels from a mate and couldn't believe the difference. I'm now getting to the point where I want a second bike just for racing something I can put all the best components on and keep all tricked up just for racing.
Now I've been offered a 2005 Wilier Imperiale frame for $400. I know nothing about wilier bikes exept their Italian and their expensive.
My question is, would this frame be a good base for a dedicated road racing bike.
Does anyone have any specs on this frame.
Does anyone have any reviews/opinions or know where I can find some reviews on this frame.
Thanks
Dean.

Not that Wilier is a bad name, but be careful with them. I recently had an opportunity to purchase an older Wilier Mortirolo, a similar bike to the Imperiale.... Alu/carbon. I bought it directly from Wilier's NA agent. It was a terrific price, $600 for a $2000 frame. To my horror, I discovered that they had sold me a defective frame. It has a sizeable dent on the steerage tube, enough so that my bike store wouldn't even recommend fixing it....the bearings need to roll in a smooth environment. Eventually I shipped it back, but it took me over one month to get this item, package it up, send it back, get my money back. The gentleman who helped me was great, but even he could not understand how his product was delivered without having been inspected...

I also noticed a design flaw on some of their older bikes...something you may want to look into or ask about.... The Mortirolo I was looking at did not have a replaceable derailleur hanger. If it gets bent in an accident, you can pretty much kiss your entire frame goodbye. Most bikes I've ridden have a replaceable hanger that is easily removable.

In the end, I wound up getting a $1700 Orbea Mitis at about $600. This is truly a great frame and it is made in Europe.

Cheers!

The frame is full carbon and is second hand it is owned by a friend of mine who doesn't need the money hence the cheap price.

It is a nice bike, and if you know how the previous owner treated it I am sure it will be a fine ride.

It would be an excellent base for a racing bike, especially if well maintained and at that price.

At this stage Im going to inspect the frame and if all is in good order I'll probably buy it.
I guess at that price if I build it up and don't like it I can sell it and I'll always get my money back.
I do like the Pedal force RS2
http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=8420
It looks remarkably like the new Wilier Cento but at double the price of the frame Ive been offered it may have to be my next frame.
Dean

Sounds like a deal if you get to inspect it and at that price. I do not think you will be disappointed! Send us pictures when you have it built up.

It may be a while between getting the frame and finishing a bike and then there will be improvements as I can afford to replace some of the older heavier parts, so I'll send a photo of the frame when I get it and then if I remember I'll take progress photo's.
So far I have a set of Neutron wheels, Token carbon fibre cranks and an almost complete campy groupset made up of a mixture of record and centaur.
Dean.