Will 12/27 make much of a difference?

LAV25

Jun 7, 2005
Hello to all. I have a 53/39 with a 12/25. It does fine for me in the rolling "hills" of North Central Texas. I have a trip planned to Fort Davis, TX (mountains) in a couple of weeks and am wondering if going to a 12/27 will make enough of a difference to be worth buying and installing. Thanks.

It depends on the steepness you're going to and the state of fitness you have.

Thanks for the reply. I am in pretty good shape. I put in about 40 - 80 miles a week (depending on running/swimming schedule) with a weekly average of about 20 - 21 mph. As far as steepness goes ... I don't know any of the grade's %tages. I do know that the area is known as the Alps of Texas and is supposed to be a tough ride. (Texas standards anyway)

I rode a 12/25 in and around the Atlanta area (pretty rolling terrain, some steep stuff, but not very long at all, I'd say everything under 1 mile), but when I first went into the mountains a little farther north of here (not much steeper, but much longer climbs, up to 8 miles, I used a 12/27. The bailout gear came in handy a few times as I tried to haul my carcass around a few of the switchbacks on Wolfpen. I'd say that if you hardly ever use your 39-25 now, but you think you might need a bailout, the 12/27 will work just fine. The cassette is hardly different at all, except for the last 2 cogs--a 24 and a 27.

I have the same 53/39 cranks but use a 12/27 cogs. I use the last two (24 and 27) as my bailout insurance in case the terrain goes very steep.

I appreciate all the input. Sounds like it will be worth the money ... just in case. Thanks much.

LAV25 said:
I appreciate all the input. Sounds like it will be worth the money ... just in case. Thanks much.

I am either going up or going down here in the mountains. I went from a 11/21 to a 12/27 a while back and I am very happy with it.

LAV25 said:
One quick note, rear derailleurs come with different cage lengths. Short cage deraillers (specifically Campy) list a maximum gear of 26t. I'm pretty sure a 27 will still work, but it's not recommended by the manufacturer. Just and FYI...