will 26 inch wheels fit racing frame

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mick, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I have got a spare Graham Weigh 853 racing clearance frame.
    I wish to build a winter bike out of it.
    There is no clearance for mudguards with 700c wheels.
    Would it be possible to fit 26 inch wheels to gain space to fit guards and
    wider tyres.

    Tags:

  2. On 26-Jul-2004, "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Would it be possible to fit 26 inch wheels to gain space to fit guards and
    > wider tyres.

    It's a simple question but not really a simple answer (although, in general,
    "no")

    Main problem is that 700c wheels are 622mm diameter and 26in wheels are
    559mm diameter so the 26in wheel rim is 31.5mm further away from the frame.
    Assuming the road frameset does not have studs for cantilever brakes then
    you probably won't get sidepull/dual pivot brakes with a long enough reach.

    Other aspects are the width of the 26in wheels; the frameset probably
    doesn't have enough clearence to accommodate the wider rims/tyres, and the
    over-locknut dimension of the 26in wheels would need to match the spacing on
    the frame/forks.

    So, you would need to measure it all up, but the chances are that it's a
    non-starter

    Ian

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mick wrote:
    > I have got a spare Graham Weigh 853 racing clearance frame.
    > I wish to build a winter bike out of it.
    > There is no clearance for mudguards with 700c wheels.
    > Would it be possible to fit 26 inch wheels to gain space to fit
    > guards and wider tyres.

    They'll be a major problem with the brakes. Pads would need to be a
    colossal 31.5mm lower for MTB 26" rims, or 25.5mm for 650c rims.

    I think you're stuck with relatively narrow tyres and any special guards
    that'll clip on. Or how about a fixie without a rear rim brake?

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Lardychap wrote:
    > I believe road hubs are 130mm whereas mtb wheels are 135mm. So you
    > could force the spacing...

    Or build a 26" wheel with a 130mm hub.

    > You could try 27" wheels....

    They're /larger/ than 700c.

    ~PB

  5. Lardychap

    Lardychap Guest

    "Mick" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have got a spare Graham Weigh 853 racing clearance frame.
    > I wish to build a winter bike out of it.
    > There is no clearance for mudguards with 700c wheels.
    > Would it be possible to fit 26 inch wheels to gain space to fit guards and
    > wider tyres.

    I believe road hubs are 130mm whereas mtb wheels are 135mm. So you
    could force the spacing...

    You would also need seriously long drops on the brakes....

    You could try 27" wheels....

  6. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    wheelsgoround [email protected] opined the following...
    > Main problem is that 700c wheels are 622mm diameter and 26in wheels are
    > 559mm diameter so the 26in wheel rim is 31.5mm further away from the frame.
    >
    > Assuming the road frameset does not have studs for cantilever brakes then
    > you probably won't get sidepull/dual pivot brakes with a long enough reach.

    Ahlonga make DP brakes with a whopping 75mm reach. They wont have the
    stopping power of a shorter reach pair, but they quite successfully stop
    my fixer in a similar time frame to the short reach 105s on the Giant.

    > Other aspects are the width of the 26in wheels; the frameset probably
    > doesn't have enough clearence to accommodate the wider rims/tyres, and the
    > over-locknut dimension of the 26in wheels would need to match the spacing on
    > the frame/forks.

    More likely to be a problem. Although as the tyre will be further from
    the seat tube you'll have marginally more clearance than you would have
    had with a larger wheel.

    > So, you would need to measure it all up, but the chances are that it's a
    > non-starter

    You'll definately have to measure it up but I don't know that it would
    be a non-starter. It would depend greatly on the frame.

    What sort of riding are you planning on doing that makes you think
    you'll notice the extra resilience of the 26" wheels? A far more
    noticable difference would be to re-tension the wheels to ensure that
    they are more robust.

    Jon

  7. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Adding my 2p worth, Accor make some reasonable DP brakes with 60mm or so reach. The OP wants to make some clearance for mudguards, I would consider making some mudgurads from Coroplast [The plasticy corrogated card material that lightweight roadsigns, for sale signs, race direction signs are made from] Google for Kent Petersons website. These would only need about 3mm of clearance and are attached using zip ties. I'd use wire stays, he uses Coroplast ones. Guards made from TdF direction signs would be cool ! BTW it is bad form to steal direction signs before the race has passed through.

  8. flembo

    flembo Guest

    "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have got a spare Graham Weigh 853 racing clearance frame.
    > I wish to build a winter bike out of it.
    > There is no clearance for mudguards with 700c wheels.
    > Would it be possible to fit 26 inch wheels to gain space to fit guards and
    > wider tyres.

    that depends on which size of 26" wheel you're talking about....

    yep, MTB wheels will be a hassle, but...

    an olde stylee 26x1 3/8 (597 - 35) will do the trick with minimal brake drop
    adjustment (half an inch, if that).. having said that, the overall diameter
    wont be massively different if the bike was designed for racing tyres, you
    probably won't be able to get skinnier tyres anyway (clearance problems
    again), rims will be steel (slippy enough in summer) and you'd probably be
    stuck with a freewheel... you might be able to find decent 597 rims and
    build them up but I doubt it

    a 650c will get you a bit closer to the mark than a 26"MTB wheel but, as
    noted earlier, not really all that close

    or you could just spend your mudguard budget on washing powder

    cheers
    -flembo

  9. Mick

    Mick Guest