Will 8-speed cranks work on 9-speed bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Subject says it all. I've heard they will work if you change the inner chainring. Is this correct?
    - B

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Boyd Speerschneider
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Subject says it all. I've heard they will work if you change the inner chainring. Is this correct?

    Yes, and they also work if you don't change the inner chainring. Don't replace any rings unless you
    are dissatisfied with the shifting - it won't make a lot of difference.

    --Paul

  3. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    I am using a old double 7 speed front crank that with even "Bio-Pace" rings and it works fine with a
    9 speed rear wheel.

    --
    Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh

    Editor, EAA Safety Programs [email protected] or [email protected]

    Always looking for articles for the Experimenter

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Subject says it all. I've heard they will work if you change the inner chainring. Is this correct?
    > - B

  4. Jack Fortune

    Jack Fortune Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:02:09 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Subject says it all. I've heard they will work if you change the inner chainring. Is this correct?
    > - B

    There is no such animal as an "8-speed" crank. The only parts that differintiate 8-sp from 9-sp
    (Shimano) are: cassette, chain, and rear shifter.

  5. jack-<< There is no such animal as an "8-speed" crank. The only parts that differintiate 8-sp from
    9-sp (Shimano) are: cassette, chain, and rear shifter.

    And fder(Mega-9)...