Will 8-speed front derailler work on 9-speed bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Subject says it all. This is for a double crankset. TIA,
    - Boyd S.

    Tags:

  2. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Subject says it all. This is for a double crankset. TIA,
    > - Boyd S.

    .................I just put an 8 speed ultegra/600 on an otherwise 9 speed DA bike.Seems to work
    fine. The 9 speed cage is supposedly a bit narrower.

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Any sort of front derailleur will work with only two chainrings. One of my bikes has Ultegra STI 9s
    levers and a Suntour XC4050 front derailleur. Works fine.

    Nick

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Subject says it all. This is for a double crankset. TIA,
    > - Boyd S.

  4. nick-<< Any sort of front derailleur will work with only two chainrings. One of my bikes has Ultegra
    STI 9s levers and a Suntour XC4050 front derailleur. Works

    A shimano fder that moves at a 45 degree angle to the seattube, rather than 90 degrees, those fders
    won't have the travel to get to the big ring w/o rubbing.

  5. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any sort of front derailleur will work with only two chainrings. One of my bikes has Ultegra STI
    > 9s levers and a Suntour XC4050 front derailleur. Works fine.
    >
    > Nick
    >
    >...............That is not always true.There are front derailers that
    aare not STI compatible.