Will a 9S chain work on an 8S system?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by D T W .../\\..., Jan 23, 2003.

  1. I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning etc.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <vze3n4p8@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning
    etc.

    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    Yes, but a 8 speed will not work on a 9 speed system. It's too wide.

    Matt

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <vze3n4p8@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning
    etc.

    9sp chains are narrower than 8sp. You will get sluggish shifting from your derailleurs if you use
    the 8 speed chain with your 9 speed drivetrain. Doing the opposite (using 9 speed chain with an 8
    speed drivetrain) will work fine.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  4. D T W .../\\... wrote:
    > I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning etc.
    >
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    Not for ideal shifting.

    Also I would be surprised if both bikes took the exact same length chain. It never works out that
    way for me...

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    NO a 9spd will NOT work on an 8 spd ... too narrow!!!!

    "MattB" <somedudeus@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b0prma$s33ip$1@ID-86156.news.dfncis.de...
    > "D T W .../\..." <vze3n4p8@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning
    > etc.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > Yes, but a 8 speed will not work on a 9 speed system. It's too wide.
    >
    > Matt

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest