Will a 9S chain work on an 8S system?

D T W .../\\...

Guest
I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning etc.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning
etc.

> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...

Yes, but a 8 speed will not work on a 9 speed system. It's too wide.

Matt

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning
etc.

9sp chains are narrower than 8sp. You will get sluggish shifting from your derailleurs if you use
the 8 speed chain with your 9 speed drivetrain. Doing the opposite (using 9 speed chain with an 8
speed drivetrain) will work fine.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

D T W .../\\... wrote:
> I now have two bikes and I'd like to swap chains around, after cleaning etc.
>
> --

Not for ideal shifting.

Also I would be surprised if both bikes took the exact same length chain. It never works out that
way for me...

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.