Will A BACCHETTA Aero Fit Inside A Honda Insight?

Gerald Muffolet

Guest
I can get a 2001 Honda Insight with automatic at a good price. I am hoping that someone in our group
has done it. I looked at the seat and I think that I may have to remove the passenger seat to fit
the Aero on the floor but I don't know about the length.

Has anyone done it?

Gerald Muffoletto Louisiana wrote:
> I can get a 2001 Honda Insight with automatic at a good price. I am hoping that someone in our
> group has done it. I looked at the seat and I think that I may have to remove the passenger seat
> to fit the Aero on the floor but I don't know about the length.

Short version: No.

Long version: Hell no!

Any questions?

Originally posted by Gerald Muffolet
I can get a 2001 Honda Insight with automatic at a good price. I am hoping that someone in our group
has done it. I looked at the seat and I think that I may have to remove the passenger seat to fit
the Aero on the floor but I don't know about the length.

Has anyone done it?

Don't know about the bike alone, but I can certainly tell you that it won't fit with its rightful owner still on it. :)

Muff, Lorenzo needs a ride to pick up his Bacchetta ;-) bill g

R2D2 wrote:

> Gerald Muffolet wrote:
> > I can get a 2001 Honda Insight with automatic at a good price. I am hoping that someone in our
> > group has done it. I looked at the seat and I think that I may have to remove the passenger
> > seat to fit the Aero on the floor but I don't know about the length. Has anyone done it?

[email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Yes, if you bring a hack saw and some duct tape.

I brought my Aero and a tape measure to the Honda dealer. I measured the bike and the space in the
car if I removed the seat. The 2002 model had enough room to fix the bike. The well in the back is
much bigger than I remembered on the 2000 model. I am going to buy the car after the Tax season is
over and try letting Honda show me how to remove and install the seat. If the removal/install
process is too complex, I can get a rack.

Thanks for the jokes and advice.

PS. I rode 60 miles on my Aero this weekend and averaged 16.8 MPH. If the road would have been
smoother (3 years ago), I would have done 17 easy. Nice increase from 10 years ago when all I
could muster was 15.5 MPH on my Trek 1200.

> PS. I rode 60 miles on my Aero this weekend and averaged 16.8 MPH. If the road would have been
> smoother (3 years ago), I would have done 17 easy. Nice increase from 10 years ago when all I
> could muster was 15.5 MPH on my Trek 1200.

I was disappointed in my 43 mile ride in town with the Giro on Saturday. After reading this, now I
feel better. I averaged 16.93. I haven't had a 17+ mph ride since October. I was beginning to
doubt the Giro. At least I know I can keep up with an Aero. I think I could do much better with
fewer lights.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > PS. I rode 60 miles on my Aero this weekend and averaged 16.8 MPH. If the road would have been
> > smoother (3 years ago), I would have done 17 easy. Nice increase from 10 years ago when all
> > I could muster was 15.5 MPH on my Trek 1200.
> >

> I was disappointed in my 43 mile ride in town with the Giro on Saturday. After reading this, now I
> feel better. I averaged 16.93. I haven't had a 17+ mph ride since October. I was beginning to
> doubt the Giro. At least I know I can keep up with an Aero. I think I could do much better with
> fewer lights.

But even with lights, you are much faster than the average rider.

[email protected] (Gerald Muffoletto Louisiana) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Yes, if you bring a hack saw and some duct tape.
>
> I brought my Aero and a tape measure to the Honda dealer. I measured the bike and the space in the
> car if I removed the seat. The 2002 model had enough room to fix the bike. The well in the back is
> much bigger than I remembered on the 2000 model. I am going to buy the car after the Tax season is
> over and try letting Honda show me how to remove and install the seat. If the removal/install
> process is too complex, I can get a rack.

Why not have them remove and install it *before* you buy it and test fit the bicycle at that time? I
once rode to dealer at a nearby town and was looking at a Subaru wagon when a salesman appeared and
started his usual sales pitch. I told him I was wondering if my bicyle (DF) would fit in the back
with the seats down and he proceeded to fold the seat and soon my bike was in the car and we were
heading down the road. He dropped me and my bike off at my house. Too bad I didn't buy the car
though. Oh well, it was very hot out that day and I appreciated the lift.

When I last bought a new vehicle EVERY salesman allowed me to drive the test ride vehicle to my home
so I could see how my bikes fit inside it. I finally bought a Chrysler T&C van. But my tests showed
that some vehicles were OK for the bikes and others were no go. The only way I felt sure was to
actually put my bikes inside the test vehicle.
--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "R.White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Gerald Muffoletto Louisiana) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Yes, if you bring a hack saw and some duct tape.
> >
> > I brought my Aero and a tape measure to the Honda dealer. I measured the bike and the space in
> > the car if I removed the seat. The 2002 model had enough room to fix the bike. The well in the
> > back is much bigger than I remembered on the 2000 model. I am going to buy the car after the Tax
> > season is over and try letting Honda show me how to remove and install the seat. If the
> > removal/install process is too complex, I can get a rack.
>
> Why not have them remove and install it *before* you buy it and test fit the bicycle at that time?
> I once rode to dealer at a nearby town and was looking at a Subaru wagon when a salesman appeared
> and started his usual sales pitch. I told him I was wondering if my bicyle (DF) would fit in the
> back with the seats down and he proceeded to fold the seat and soon my bike was in the car and we
> were heading down the road. He dropped me and my bike off at my house. Too bad I didn't buy the
> car though. Oh well, it was very hot out that day and I appreciated the lift.

[email protected] (Gerald Muffoletto Louisiana) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I can get a 2001 Honda Insight with automatic at a good price. I am hoping that someone in our
> group has done it. I looked at the seat and I think that I may have to remove the passenger seat
> to fit the Aero on the floor but I don't know about the length.
>
> Has anyone done it?

Depending on what degree you are willing to dissasemble the Aero, I imagine you could get it in
without taking out the seat. I have put some long loads in mine by laying them between or over or
around the seat. The interior and exterior is the same on all years. The warranty will be voided if
you try to use a bike rack or tow a even a bike trailer. I can understand the bike rack with the
aluminum body, but I don't understand the trailer thing. Also, hold out for a stick. The automatic
trans will get you about 8 less MPG than than the stick, and the stick is more fun to drive.

Tom Balmer Goatbiker/V2