Will a Campy crank fit a suntour bottom bracket?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Cunningham, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. I have an Albert Eisentraut Rainbow with a Suntour GPX crank set. Can I put a Campy NR crank on
    the this bottom bracket? The Bike has a complete GPX group that doesn't seem up to the quality
    of the bike.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Max Watt

    Max Watt Guest

    [email protected] (bill cunningham) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have an Albert Eisentraut Rainbow with a Suntour GPX crank set. Can I put a Campy NR crank on
    > the this bottom bracket? The Bike has a complete GPX group that doesn't seem up to the quality of
    > the bike.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I've had a suntour crank on a campy bottom bracket. The angle of taper is the same. It will seat in
    a different spot, as the campy crank has a slightly smaller hole than Suntour/Shimano, but the
    difference should not be enough to matter im practice. So it will fit on. Whether the crank is made
    for a bottom bracket of that width is another matter, one that can affect shifting. If the crank was
    made for a BB of approximately the length of the Suntour BB, you're ok. Someone else may have the
    specs for the NR crank and that suntour GPX BB, or you can try mounting the crank and see if the
    shifting works.