Will a normal rime hook up to a unicycle?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by theriault_honda, May 6, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. trials_uni wrote:
    > rime??? i assume you mean rim? but yeah most rims will fit a uni if the
    > size and clearance is correct.

    So i could buy a 20" tire and rim from canadian tire and put it on a
    20'' uni frame ? right thats what your saying

    --
    theriault_honda
    theriault_honda's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12074

  3. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    Yes, You should be able to, but make sure your not trying to put a bike
    hub onto a unicycle, but if it is just the rim, you can put a
    unicycling hub in there, put in the spokes, then be fine.

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave me
    alone about it!~*~

    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

  4. Jerrick wrote:
    > Yes, You should be able to, but make sure your not trying to put a bike
    > hub onto a unicycle, but if it is just the rim, you can put a
    > unicycling hub in there, put in the spokes, then be fine.

    What so different about a unicycle hub then is it just stronger?

    --
    theriault_honda
    theriault_honda's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12074

  5. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    yes, if you have a certain hub and bearings..

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley
    James_Potter-
    I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
    travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
    and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  6. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    well, on a bicycle, it is chain driven, so the hub on a bicycle wheel,
    only have the bolts that come out the attach to the axel and get bolted
    on there.

    On a unicycle, the ratio is 1:1 cause it is just a direct drive, so the
    hub on a unicycle, instead of having bolts coming out, they are
    cotterless or splined, so that the cranks can attach to the hub,
    enabling us to pedal =p

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave me
    alone about it!~*~

    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

  7. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    the top is a uni hub(fits in a uni frame

    the bottom is a bike hub(will not fit in a uni frame)

    get the picture?

    -Phil

    |Filename: BigAndSmallHubs.gif |

    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

  8. On a bike hub, the axle stays still and the hub rotates around the axle
    on bearings inside the hub.
    On a unicycle hub, the axle is fixed to the hub and the whole lot
    rotates in bearings held by the frame.

    Of course, a giraffe unicycle is a bit different, being chain driven,
    and uses a bike-type hub (fixed-gear type).

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'