Will a Sora freewheel work with on Ultegra hub ?? (EOM)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rlonn, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Rlonn

    Rlonn Guest

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (RLonn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > TIA

    You're welcome.

    Now, back to the subject: There's no such thing as a Sora "freewheel". The Sora group uses a
    cassette-style mechanism, where the freewheel is integral with the hub.

    If you're asking whether Sora cassette cogs will work on a Ultegra hub- that'll work without a
    problem. In general, all Shimano cassettes fit all Shimano cassette hubs. There's some exceptions,
    but yours is not one of them.

    Jeff

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "RLonn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > TIA

    Yes, a Sora 8-speed cassette will work with an Ultegra 8/9-speed hub. Any 8-speed Shimano HG hub is
    also 9-speed Shimano compatible. (They are identical and interchangeable.)

    -Barry

  4. Rlonn

    Rlonn Guest

    Yes, I can see why there could be some confusion. I was trying to use Shimano's nomenclature for the
    part in question. (http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/FH/ev_images/FH_3300_EV.pdf)

    I should have written "freewheel body" (or cassette body or freehub body.) I am inquiring whether I
    can substitute a Sora freehub body on an Ultegra freehub, FH-6500.

    Looking around on the internet it seems that I can make this substitution but I may need to use the
    Sora right hand dust cap also.

  5. On 23 Jun 2003 05:47:51 GMT, [email protected] (RLonn) wrote:

    >Looking around on the internet it seems that I can make this substitution but I may need to use the
    >Sora right hand dust cap also.

    No, the other way around, you may need to use the old ultegra dustcap rather than the new sora one.
    A different dustcap is only (sometimes) necessary if you insert a different cone, which is on the
    axle & co, rather than on the freehub body.

    Jasper