Will an 11 cog wheel work instead of a 13 cog on a Shimano megarange?

I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

[email protected] wrote:

> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
>
> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

According to this page:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#hyperdrivec

There might be a problem if you don't have a "Hyperdrive C" body, but this
can be gotten around with a bit of work anyway.

Appart from that there shouldn't be any problems with derailers. Shimano are
quite conservative in their specs, so even if you are right on the edge of
the specs already, two more teeth probably won't cause a problem.

Usually you need to replace the whole cassette. You could try to source
individual sprockets - good luck!

Might consider a bigger large chainring? That'd also give you a few more
high gears.

--
Jim

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
>
> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

Yes that will work.

You may be able to get individual sprockets, it depends on the cassette
model and or brand.

You will have no problems at all. I don't think you can change the
individual cogs in the freewheel, however.

news:[email protected]...

TonyKiz wrote:
> You will have no problems at all. I don't think you can change the
> individual cogs in the freewheel, however.
>

> "Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
>>> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
>>> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
>>> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
>>> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
>>>
>>> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
>>> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?
>>>

>> Yes that will work.
>>
>> You may be able to get individual sprockets, it depends on the cassette
>> model and or brand.

There's always E-bay. I bought about 10 front cranksets about 5 years
ago and there should be a pretty good supply of just about everything
for the rear, both one piece and design your own types. They exist, but
you may have to be patient.
Bill Baka

You can buy a new Megarange at Alfred E. Bike
(http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW8129 ) if you
live near Kalamazoo, MI (Shimano "prefers they not sell them online" --
what's with that) OR at Harris Cyclery
(http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7) for a bit more.

"bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TonyKiz wrote:
> > You will have no problems at all. I don't think you can change the
> > individual cogs in the freewheel, however.
> >

> > "Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Yes that will work.
> >>
> >> You may be able to get individual sprockets, it depends on the cassette
> >> model and or brand.
> >>

> There's always E-bay. I bought about 10 front cranksets about 5 years
> ago and there should be a pretty good supply of just about everything
> for the rear, both one piece and design your own types. They exist, but
> you may have to be patient.
> Bill Baka

"TonyKiz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You can buy a new Megarange at Alfred E. Bike
> (http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW8129 ) if you
> live near Kalamazoo, MI (Shimano "prefers they not sell them online" --
> what's with that) OR at Harris Cyclery
> (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7) for a bit more.

TonyKiz asked: "(Shimano "prefers they not sell them online" -- what's
with that) "
Well that is very common nowadays with a lot of products not just Shimano.
Allowing sales via the internet undermines the LBSs incentive in selling the
same item.
The LBS isn't going to want to stock and sell something if customers are
going to buy it off the internet instead.
It used to be mail orders a long time ago.

Earl Bollinger wrote:
> "TonyKiz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You can buy a new Megarange at Alfred E. Bike
>> (http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW8129 ) if you
>> live near Kalamazoo, MI (Shimano "prefers they not sell them online" --
>> what's with that) OR at Harris Cyclery
>> (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7) for a bit more.
>>

> TonyKiz asked: "(Shimano "prefers they not sell them online" -- what's
> with that) "
> Well that is very common nowadays with a lot of products not just Shimano.
> Allowing sales via the internet undermines the LBSs incentive in selling the
> same item.
> The LBS isn't going to want to stock and sell something if customers are
> going to buy it off the internet instead.
> It used to be mail orders a long time ago.

Am I the only one who likes to actually hold something and examine it
before putting out the cash? Even if I do not intend to buy from a
particular LBS I will still go and look at what I can before spending
any money, usually on E-bay. I have an ex-Schwinn LBS that is predatory
in pricing and an independent who is reasonable but doesn't carry a lot
of things. Either way, I like to see first hand that the item is really
what I need and that the catalog description is for real before I buy it.
Bill Baka