Will an 11 cog wheel work instead of a 13 cog on a Shimano megarange?

I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
problems with the existing chain / front crankset?

Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

[email protected] wrote:
> I currently have a 13-34 7 speed Shimano Mega 7 Freewheel, and the
> smallest cog is a bit worn. I also find the smallest (highest) cog a
> bit low, leaving me spinning but not englaging on some downhills. If I
> invest in a new 11-34 Shimano Megarange Frerewheel, will I have any
> problems with the existing chain / front crankset?
>
> Also, is it possible to change single cog wheels on such a freewheel,
> rather than replacing the whole freewheel?

If you haven't already, you might want to send this question to
rec.bicycles.tech. I also found this on Sheldon's site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7/

It seems to me like you may need to adjust your derrailleur cable's
length a bit for it to work, but it sounds doable. I assume that the
chain/crankset will work fine.

Don't think you can change a single cog. In my experience, Shimano
sells them as sets.

One question: do you spend a lot of time in the middle chainring and
the smallest rear cog? If so, you should start experimenting more with
the big chainring and one of the middle cogs, where you'll find a more
efficient rough equivalent.

/s