Will an old Suntour work?

Evlmanta

Sep 25, 2007
I had an accident on my mtn bike and mangled my Shimano STX-RC rear derailleur( no big loss, it's Shimano)....But my question is can I use an old NOS Suntour XC Pro Rear derailleur with the current equipment on my bike? I currently have a Shimano SL-m740 XT shifter, a Shimano STX-RC rear Derailleur (wasted), and a SRAM 8-speed gear set, the gears and shifter were bought new in 02...If i can't use the Suntour will a new Shimano XTR rapidrise work??

Evlmanta said:
I had an accident on my mtn bike and mangled my Shimano STX-RC rear derailleur( no big loss, it's Shimano)....But my question is can I use an old NOS Suntour XC Pro Rear derailleur with the current equipment on my bike? I currently have a Shimano SL-m740 XT shifter, a Shimano STX-RC rear Derailleur (wasted), and a SRAM 8-speed gear set, the gears and shifter were bought new in 02...If i can't use the Suntour will a new Shimano XTR rapidrise work??
HMmmm. First, the XTR Rapid Rise will work, but remember the movement will be reversed ...

Whether or not the SunTour rear derailleur will work depends on just how OLD it is ... 70s/80s vintage ... probably not. Later, possibly.

Since you presumably have the SunTour XC rear derailleur in front of you, the only thing you will lose is the time it takes to install and/or remove it -- attach it to the bike without the chain running through it, first, connect the rear derailleur cable and see if the indexing seems to match. If it looks like it indexes properly, then it probably does.