Will Brooks grips withstand SEVERE WINTER Daily Riding Conditions in Chicago, IL, USA?

Jay

Guest
OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.

As I recall, Andre has suggested Brooks grips. Would these be good grips for
year round riding, or only in good summer riding conditions? And I would
swap grips depending on the season? I believe I can do that.

I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new Electra
bike, as I am. At this point, all RBT knows that Jay is a little boy when it
comes to a new bike THING, and it don't get any bigger than a new BIKE!

Silly J.

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
> Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
> Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.
>
> As I recall, Andre has suggested Brooks grips. Would these be good grips
> for year round riding, or only in good summer riding conditions? And I
> would swap grips depending on the season? I believe I can do that.

Swapping grips will be tedious - pick one which you like which works.

TBH I reckon the Brooks grips look amusing, but not necessarily practical -
and a wet winter might well get messy. They're not cheap either.

If you're looking for something more than a plain grip, might be worth
taking a look at the Ergon ones too.

cheers,
clive

On Feb 16, 2:37 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
> Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
> Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.
>
> As I recall, Andre has suggested Brooks grips. Would these be good grips for
> year round riding, or only in good summer riding conditions? And I would
> swap grips depending on the season? I believe I can do that.
>
> I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new Electra
> bike, as I am. At this point, all RBT knows that Jay is a little boy when it
> comes to a new bike THING, and it don't get any bigger than a new BIKE!
>
> Silly J.

Tell us, Jay, do you have a Brooks saddle on your present bike, or
will the one you're ordering on the Electra Amsterdam Royal 8 be your
first Brooks saddle?

If not your first, how is the one you have lasting in those Chicago
winters? Do you oil or wax it? Do you cover it? Brooks handlebar grips
might need the same handling.

I have no experience of cycling in weather conditions such as you
describe but it does seem to me that leather edgeways on would take in
wet more quickly than a saddle, which presents a finished surface to
the wet. However, on the other hand, a bit of wet might make the
handlebar grips conform to your fingers more quickly rather than over
"considerable use", on the same principle as breaking in a Brooks
saddle more quickly by cycling in soaking wet shorts (in the summer,
of course!).

My fear for the first winter, or what's left of this one, would not be
rot but that the as yet unconformed grips might freeze and be very
uncomfortable to use.

I see screws in the photos with the Brooks grips. Probably be smart to
ask what is involved in taking the Brooks grips off and refitting the
ones supplied with the bike or whatever you fancy. You might want to
try the standard fake-leather grips for winter use -- I've come to
like the standard-fitting dual density grips on my Trek, which at
first I thought looked cheap, very much indeed and haven't fitted the
Ergon grips I bought for that bike. It is possible also to buy
Gazelle's own-design own-brand custom grips in the aftermarket though
I suspect that after postage to the States you will be out of twice
their price (they're about fifteen US dollars on sales); the reason I
mention it is that I find the Gazelle grips the most comfortable I
have ever used, and they're just the right shape to use with gloves
(maybe the Dutch have big hands), and support the hand very naturally;
I have never even considered replacing them with anything but the OEM
item.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Manual worker -- I operate a keyboard

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
>> Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
>> Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.
>>
>> As I recall, Andre has suggested Brooks grips. Would these be good grips
>> for year round riding, or only in good summer riding conditions? And I
>> would swap grips depending on the season? I believe I can do that.

> Swapping grips will be tedious - pick one which you like which works.
>
> TBH I reckon the Brooks grips look amusing, but not necessarily
> practical - and a wet winter might well get messy. They're not cheap
> either.
>
> If you're looking for something more than a plain grip, might be worth
> taking a look at the Ergon ones too.
>
> cheers,
> clive

Hey Clive,

My hunch is, Ergon grips might be better suited for bad Chicago winter
weather. I do like my current Ergon grips.

Is my friend Andre simply wrong? Or is he getting bad info from his
advisers?

I never know what to do. I just throw $ at a problem. This approach does not
always work very well.

J.

"Andre Jute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On Feb 16, 2:37 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
> Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
> Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.
>
> As I recall, Andre has suggested Brooks grips. Would these be good grips
> for
> year round riding, or only in good summer riding conditions? And I would
> swap grips depending on the season? I believe I can do that.
>
> I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new
> Electra
> bike, as I am. At this point, all RBT knows that Jay is a little boy when
> it
> comes to a new bike THING, and it don't get any bigger than a new BIKE!
>
> Silly J.

Tell us, Jay, do you have a Brooks saddle on your present bike, or
will the one you're ordering on the Electra Amsterdam Royal 8 be your
first Brooks saddle?

I already use a Brooks B17 saddle on my current BF folder - but I AM SURE
this is a trick question - you SIR already knew that, nicht? Many previous
RBT pics show my Brooks B17 saddle on my current BF folder. I plan to buy
another for this new Electra.

I have no experience of cycling in weather conditions such as you
describe but it does seem to me that leather edgeways on would take in
wet more quickly than a saddle, which presents a finished surface to
the wet. However, on the other hand, a bit of wet might make the
handlebar grips conform to your fingers more quickly rather than over
"considerable use", on the same principle as breaking in a Brooks
saddle more quickly by cycling in soaking wet shorts (in the summer,
of course!).

Andre, it is more than a 'bit of wet'. Chicago winter bike commutes are
quite nasty, just ask Tom! Tom and I share the same latitude! And wave
length!

(the rest snipped for obvious reasons)

Tired of Snipping stupid stuff - J.

Jay Bollyn, Chicagoland Cycle Commuter, wrote:
> [...]
> Andre, it is more than a 'bit of wet'. Chicago winter bike commutes are
> quite nasty, just ask Tom! Tom and I share the same latitude! And wave
> length![...]

Well, I used to live in Chicagoland near Fermilab, but moved farther
north by just over a full degree of latitude.

When it snows in Chicagoland, the put salt (calcium chloride and sodium
chloride mix) on the roads. LOTS of salt. The temperatures are generally
in the range where the salt and snow forms a semi-solid slush. This
slush coats everything, and gets sprayed onto cyclists by passing cars.

There are three main approaches to using a bicycle in these conditions.

1 - Spend a LOT of time cleaning and lubricating the bicycle.
2 - Use as corrosion resistant materials as possible, slather the
bicycle in Cosmoline or petroleum jelly, and clean it in the spring.
3 - Do neither, and replace the rusty ruined items when they fail.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:37:02 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new Electra
>bike, as I am.

<voice=Ben Stein>

I am sooo excited. I can hardly contain myself

Jay Bollyn, on the brink of purchasing a new bicycle, wrote:
> [...]
> I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new Electra
> bike, as I am. At this point, all RBT knows that Jay is a little boy when it
> comes to a new bike THING, and it don't get any bigger than a new BIKE!

This saga could have been made into a reality television show.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jay Bollyn, on the brink of purchasing a new bicycle, wrote:
>> [...]
>> I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new
>> Electra bike, as I am. At this point, all RBT knows that Jay is a little
>> boy when it comes to a new bike THING, and it don't get any bigger than a
>> new BIKE!
>>

> This saga could have been made into a reality television show.

But would you vote for the brooks grips to be evicted?

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My hunch is, Ergon grips might be better suited for bad Chicago winter
> weather. I do like my current Ergon grips.

If you like them, stick with them. And I reckon you're probably right.

> Is my friend Andre simply wrong? Or is he getting bad info from his
> advisers?

I believe he's clarified this in his other reply - he's seen pictures, but
not actually used them. Like me :)

They do look very cool in what I imagine to be a Rivendell-esque manner (cue
Ozark - or would the flat bars be a no no for Grant?), but I'm not sure I'd
ever actually get a set.

> I never know what to do. I just throw $ at a problem. This approach does
> not always work very well.

If I don't know what to do, I'll do the opposite and find the cheapest way -
it may work about as well, but it's better for my bank balance :)

cheers,
clive

Jay wrote:
> OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
> Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
> Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.
>
> As I recall, Andre has suggested Brooks grips. Would these be good grips for
> year round riding, or only in good summer riding conditions? And I would
> swap grips depending on the season? I believe I can do that.
>
> I KNOW most RBT regulars (and lurkers) are as excited about this new Electra
> bike, as I am. At this point, all RBT knows that Jay is a little boy when it
> comes to a new bike THING, and it don't get any bigger than a new BIKE!

If you think Brooks grips are cute, try 'em. Grips are easy to change
with your mood or for no reason at all, like sox or girlfriends. That
shouldn't affect your new bike decision at all.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Feb 15, 8:37 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, my RBT Masters, at long last,...I am poised to pull the Electra
> Amsterdam Royal8 trigger on this coming Monday, through Rapid Transit
> Cycleshop, unless I hear any strong RBT objections.

Rapid Transit sells Ritchey True Grips, a much more durable and
comfortable option.

On Feb 16, 4:17 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Jay Bollyn, Chicagoland Cycle Commuter, wrote:> [...]
> > Andre, it is more than a 'bit of wet'. Chicago winter bike commutes are
> > quite nasty, just ask Tom! Tom and I share the same latitude! And wave
> > length![...]

> Well, I used to live in Chicagoland near Fermilab, but moved farther
> north by just over a full degree of latitude.
>
> When it snows in Chicagoland, the put salt (calcium chloride and sodium
> chloride mix) on the roads. LOTS of salt. The temperatures are generally
> in the range where the salt and snow forms a semi-solid slush. This
> slush coats everything, and gets sprayed onto cyclists by passing cars.
>
> There are three main approaches to using a bicycle in these conditions.
>
> 1 - Spend a LOT of time cleaning and lubricating the bicycle.
> 2 - Use as corrosion resistant materials as possible, slather the
> bicycle in Cosmoline or petroleum jelly, and clean it in the spring.
> 3 - Do neither, and replace the rusty ruined items when they fail.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Thanks for reminding me. I used to visit Chicago twelve times a year
for a day on an inspection of our office there and couldn't wait to
get out of the place again. Salted roads and slush are not unknown in
Europe either.

I'll just buy a pair of Brooks grips and see how they go in the green
and beloved isle, which is so damp that if you throw your worn
underpants into the corner of an evening, in the morning you can pick
enough mushrooms for breakfast. And I'll find out the full story on a
Brooks saddle in the spring when I shall run into several guys I meet
on the roads who have Brooks saddles on their bikes.

Andre Jute
Multitasker