Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s?

John Verheul

Guest
Sorry if this has been covered already, but a quick search didn't answer the question.

Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s cassettes? In other words, is cog spacing "close enough"? If
yes, has anyone tried it yet and what chain works best?

Thanks, John Verheul

John Verheul wrote:
> Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s cassettes? In other words, is cog spacing "close enough"?

I don't know if it will actually shift ok or not.

Shimano 10sp spacing is 3.95mm, Campag 10 is 4.12

for comparison, Shimano 9 is 4.34, Campag 9 is 4.55

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> John Verheul wrote:

> > Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s cassettes? In other words, is cog spacing "close
> > enough"?
>
> I don't know if it will actually shift ok or not.
>
> Shimano 10sp spacing is 3.95mm, Campag 10 is 4.12
>
> for comparison, Shimano 9 is 4.34, Campag 9 is 4.55

Well, that's .17mm difference for 10sp, which is smaller than the .19mm difference for 9sp. But then
there may be less margin for error with the 10sp. So you can't tell until you try, but it looks to
me like it might work.

Matt O.

See some of the recent threads I've started on using Campy drivetrains, especially 10s, on a Shimano
hub. American Classic makes a 10s conversion cassette that makes this possible. It's probably going
to be cheaper than a new DA 10s casseete, too.

--
Kovie [email protected]

"John Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry if this has been covered already, but a quick search didn't answer
the
> question.
>
> Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s cassettes? In other words, is cog spacing "close enough"?
> If yes, has anyone tried it yet and what chain
works
> best?
>
> Thanks, John Verheul

"John Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s cassettes? In other words, is cog spacing "close enough"?
> If yes, has anyone tried it yet and what chain works best?

That is a good question. I'm considering buying 10-speed Ergo levers and rear derailleur now
and using an American Classic conversion cassette on my Chris King or Ultegra hubs. It'd be
more attractive if it's likely that future Ultegra 10-spd cassettes will work, as they should
be much cheaper.

-David

jverheul-<< Will Campy 10s Shift on new Shimano 10s cassettes? In other words, is cog spacing "close
enough"? If yes, has anyone tried it yet and what chain works best? >><BR><BR>

Not tried it but I'm guessing it will work, just use a shimano 10s chain with the cogset...